unimpressed with the Garmin dash cam 35

they're obviously concerned about 2 party states

The North American version of the Dash Cam 35 does not include a Microphone, however the European version of this model does.

that's a sales killer right there

that's a sales killer right there
I did not realize they are only 90° as well. Good for HatCam, but I don't know that I would want that narrow in a car.

If they were concerned about recording laws then they should just have a microphone disabled feature not take the feature out completely, its absolutely pathetic not to have audio on a 200 dollar dash cam, and I couldnt even adjust the exposure on it, it was absolutely unacceptable for that price.

I think there is some confusion.
Better ask the supplier/manufacturer and get it straight from the horse's mouth.

I sent an email as to why the US version wasn't equipped with a Mic and would they honor warranty for non US Garmin product.

This was their response:

Thank you for contacting Garmin International. I would be happy to assist you with this.

The Garmin Dash Cam 10 & 20 has audio capability. As for why only the European Dash Cam 35 has a microphone, I am unsure. This was an engineering design or marketing decision.

As for warranty, yes Garmin International USA would provide warranty service. However, if the Dash Cam 35 has to be sent in here for replacement, it would be replaced with a North American model without the microphone.

Please reply to this email or contact Garmin support by phone if you have additional questions or concerns.

1-800-800-1020 from 8am-6pm M-Thursday and 8am-5pm Friday, Central time (excluding Holidays).

Fail

Purchased Dash Cam 35 the other week. These still have the same USB power issues as the Dash Cam 20 where it prompts for PC / USB Mass Storage mode with any non-Garmin power supply. Apart from that I really like it. My first DashCam. GPS is very quick to lock on, accurate, and their software makes it super easy to grab clips. Day and night picture quality is great as well.

I decided to recently purchase my first dash cam, which I decided would be a Garmin Dash Cam 35. I knew of the other dash cams (the 10 and 20) and I was hoping this would be a step up but I must say I'm sadly disappointed in it. For one thing there are barely any settings on this thing! I cant adjust the colors and what little options I have are limited. Additionally I have to say the video quality was very, very, very disappointing, I would think that in a day and age where I can get beautiful video quality on my smartphone that a dash cam dedicated to recording video could at least read license plates from a good distance away or it would focus better in various lightning conditions but this...this is just terrible. it says it records in 1080p but honestly this is far from it, I have trouble reading a persons license plate that is 30 feet ahead of me on a perfectly sunny day with the sun NOT in the face of the camera? oh and they then decided that the european version would have a microphone but the north american version wouldn't!

Sorry if I sound like I'm rambling but I'm just very frustrated, what would you guys recommend around the 200 price range? I mean I'm essentially worried about reliability(i would like to leave it in my car on the hottest days or the coldest nights) and video quality, I didn't want something that would die on me a year or two from now with zero support or warranty.
Were u ever to find out the viewing angle on the Garmin 35 it seems to be a big secret all support says is its a wide viewing angle. I heard that maybe its under 100

Sorry to hear about the bummer experience, welcome to the forum.

If you're not familiar, check out the SG9665GC it fits your price/hot/cold requirements and is one of the best night performing systems around. (support is as good as it gets as well)

The optional new CPL really enhances things even further:
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...ns-filter-for-street-guardian-sg9665gc.14256/
Regarding the Garmin 35 I just found out the size of the viewing angle it is 90 Diagonal viewing angle . I know most DVR's its around 135 to 170 Can I have ur opinion if the 90 is adequate and would there be a big noticeable difference in play back. Took me 3 days to get that info Garmin always says "protective information" but I got lucky with one representative.

Regarding the Garmin 35 I just found out the size of the viewing angle it is 90 Diagonal viewing angle . I know most DVR's its around 135 to 170 Can I have ur opinion if the 90 is adequate and would there be a big noticeable difference in play back. Took me 3 days to get that info Garmin always says "protective information" but I got lucky with one representative.
There is a difference in "cmos footprint" angle and maximum angle that lens are capable to view. In many cases "they" advertise max. lens angle where in real life true FOV produced after pricessing is much less.

There is a difference in "cmos footprint" angle and maximum angle that lens are capable to view. In many cases "they" advertise max. lens angle where in real life true FOV produced after pricessing is much less.
So in layman's terms do you think its adequate "90"

So in layman's terms do you think its adequate "90"

Slightly wider FOV would be ideal, but this is up to personal preference, however there are pros and cons here. The narrower FOV - the closer numberplates you get, easier to read them and opposite.

Slightly wider FOV would be ideal, but this is up to personal preference, however there are pros and cons here. The narrower FOV - the closer numberplates you get, easier to read them and opposite.
Now I understand very well explained thank you

The field of view on these cameras is not 60 degrees. 90 degrees seems more accurate. I have a C-Max and I mounted a rear facing one on my middle headrest. Its field of view is slightly bigger than the back window

Back