SG9665GC firmware updates and pre release access

You forgot to add that the dingbat's car is overweight, while the tires are missing a few PSI.
Or so it appears when police makes side-of-the-road checks. Especially during summer.

Winter is different, then the tires are worn-out summer types, but hey there's ABS isn't it?
Just in case, carry a dashcam or two... Ye never know.

Just to be clear, for my V3 (serial 165xxxxxx) this still appears to be beta, still no public generally available release since the one from last November, the one downloadable from https://streetguardian.info/support right?

Just to be clear, for my V3 (serial 165xxxxxx) this still appears to be beta, still no public generally available release since the one from last November, the one downloadable from https://streetguardian.info/support right?

we do have another version ready but haven't released it yet, there's still some other changes we're looking at incorporating before we do, if that looks like taking too long then we will do another release version soon and release again later

OK, cool. I have updated it to that May release, and it seems to be working fine. I never could get ALL the bright pixels to go away, but calibration did help the maddening starfield of bright pixels tone down dramatically.

OK, cool. I have updated it to that May release, and it seems to be working fine. I never could get ALL the bright pixels to go away, but calibration did help the maddening starfield of bright pixels tone down dramatically.

there will be an auto calibration process in the next release

Well, THAT sounds like a very welcome feature. In the meantime, the current beta works just fine and I've wondered all this time why it was even still in beta with no other version seemingly on the horizon and this one running smoothly and apparently bug free.

In the meantime, the current beta works just fine and I've wondered all this time why it was even still in beta with no other version seemingly on the horizon and this one running smoothly and apparently bug free.

pretty much if it's in the public beta area it's stable enough to release already as we test internally before posting those, we do have newer versions than what we've listed in the public section though which we're still testing as well, and there are some further fixes and changes coming, the release versions are perhaps more for people that don't visit this site and aren't up on the beta progress

pretty much if it's in the public beta area it's stable enough to release already as we test internally before posting those, we do have newer versions than what we've listed in the public section though which we're still testing as well, and there are some further fixes and changes coming, the release versions are perhaps more for people that don't visit this site and aren't up on the beta progress

Glad to know that you are continuing to improve and enhance the camera. With the exception of the original Mobius this usually doesn't happen to this degree or this far out from the product's introduction.

Holy crap why isn't there a link to "LOVE" a post rather than only "Like" it?? That sounds fantastic--especially if it can get rid of the handful of remaining bright pixels.

EDIT: PS I know the DC isn't even out yet, but I'm already sitting on my hands biding my time for the remote version one day ;)

By the way, any chance the next firmware can include an option to run in dark mode? No LEDs, no screen on startup (only if a button is pressed). If there's a power issue I'll know it. No need to annoy passengers or tip off dealership/shop guys that it's on and running. I have the startup sound disabled already.

Also, why is there an option (enabled by default) to reboot the camera after a minute or three of runtime? Is that recommended or required for some reason?

By the way, any chance the next firmware can include an option to run in dark mode? No LEDs, no screen on startup (only if a button is pressed). If there's a power issue I'll know it. No need to annoy passengers or tip off dealership/shop guys that it's on and running. I have the startup sound disabled already.

not sure about that, I understand why it would be good to have, but there's some negative implications as well to recording someone when they have no reasonable way to know that, may be a bit of a grey area legally

Also, why is there an option (enabled by default) to reboot the camera after a minute or three of runtime? Is that recommended or required for some reason?

actually it's not do with runtime, quite the opposite, this setting only comes into effect when the camera is in standby mode (not recording), say you've stopped the recording to enter the menu or whatever and have been interrupted and not noticed or forgotten about it, the default behavior is to turn the camera off, you could easily drive off thinking you're recording when you're not recording at all, we changed the default Auto Power Off function to Auto Restart instead so that if you do forget the camera will reboot and start recording again

not sure about that, I understand why it would be good to have, but there's some negative implications as well to recording someone when they have no reasonable way to know that, may be a bit of a grey area legally
I'd let the individual worry about that. In my state there's no legal problems with it (not do I need to put up those stickers saying recording in progress).

we changed the default Auto Power Off function to Auto Restart instead so that if you do forget the camera will reboot and start recording again
Ah, got it! Thanks for clarifying.

I'd let the individual worry about that. In my state there's no legal problems with it (not do I need to put up those stickers saying recording in progress).

yeah unfortunately that's something that could be put back on us, not the individual, it's our liability I'm concerned about here

even if you're in a one party state if there's no notification about recording of audio in your vehicle if you have someone else driving the vehicle when you're not there then there's no one party consent at all, I don't expect you're up to no good at all but others may not see it that way, something to keep in mind

I'm not sure how you'd be responsible regardless. Unless your legal team said you're taking your life in your hands by doing so (extremely doubtful) or you have a personal crisis of conscience or ethical disagreement, then I would leave it up to the individual, just like you leave it up to them to put stickers on or not or to turn off the startup sound, etc.

Last edited:
Is a new firmware coming out? The last one (non beta) was more than a year ago...

yeah unfortunately that's something that could be put back on us, not the individual, it's our liability I'm concerned about here

even if you're in a one party state if there's no notification about recording of audio in your vehicle if you have someone else driving the vehicle when you're not there then there's no one party consent at all, I don't expect you're up to no good at all but others may not see it that way, something to keep in mind

With the vast number of "spy" and "nanny"cameras on the market these days I don't see how a manufacturer could be held liable if a consumer elects to turn off a recording indicator. Such paranoia seems unwarranted. It would be like Sony getting sued if someone uses a digital voice recorder to surreptitiously capture a conversation. The liability falls to the device user.

Some cameras provide a simple option to turn off the recording indicator such as the Mobius. I find this feature useful now and again, such as when using the camera to observe and record wildlife. Some animals are exquisitely sensitive to flashing lights, especially in certain wavelengths so it can mean the difference between successful video capture or complete failure.

Having the ability to turn off the recording indicator also has potential uses specific to dash cams. For example, as someone who uses dash cams to record when away from my vehicle I've learned that recording indicators can attract a lot of attention at night even from a distance and the ability to easily turn off any LEDs would be a welcome feature that would have nothing to do with recording audio of a passenger's conversation.

Hey guys
I experienced an issue this morning with the SG20170517.V3 (Beta 34) firmware, after boot up the screen seemed to have frozen and the exposure stayed on the wrong setting resulting in a white screen. The camera also wasn't recording according to the led. I power cycled the camera and it worked ok after that.
My camera is a V2 and the firmware was installed last week with a card format after.
Has anyone else had that issue with this beta?

Cheers

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R SG9665GC 1
Brent. SG9665GC 17
A SG9665GC 100
jokiin SG9665GC 24
jokiin SG9665GC 154
Back