More of why undertakers suck.

Rajagra

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Mini0806
To be clear, you are allowed to overtake on the inside when it's congested, and you are allowed to use this bus lane at the time I filmed this. (I choose not to because I know the lane is a poor one for many reasons.)

But people who overtake on the inside are supposed to exercise extra care because of the lack of visibility and the high likelihood of someone not expecting them.

The problem is ... they don't exercise the necessary care. Here you see a careless pedestrian walking out. The van that nearly hit her was not capable of stopping, and could only use the horn and hope for the best.

Sure, the pedestrian was in the wrong, but this kind of event is completely predictable, and the "it's allowed" brigade don't care about predictable dangers.

She was one step from needing an undertaker. Close call.
1959_Cadillac_hearse1_t600.jpg

She didn't seem to be phased one bit by a close call that could've gone very pear-shaped for her. Are people feeding off on adrenaline so much these days that they completely disregard the fact that they're mere mortals? :confused:

Last edited:
She didn't seem to be phased one bit by a close call that could've gone very pear-shaped for her. Are people feeding off of adrenaline so much these days that they completely disregard the fact that they're mere mortals? :confused:

If it wasn't something sent to them via farcebook or twitsrus, then it doesn't matter. People pay attention to nothing else anymore :( Not even our human mortality :eek:

Phil

if the bus lane is an open lane (at the time) and is on the left, it should be used. In some instances people will (acceptably) stay out of the bus lane if the other lane they're in leads to a right turn ahead that they intend to take, or straight on where again they intend to go providing the bus lane leads to a left turn they don't intend to take, Otherwise as far as I'm concerned people who don't use the open bus lane are as bad as middle lane hoggers

Pedestrians should make themselves completely aware of what's in all lanes as they're about to cross them... they teach that sh*t in primary school

As I said I'm familiar with this lane and know it's downsides. Regular car parking spots outside of the hours of operation. Bus stops (of course!) Plenty of cyclists. And eventually it turns into a bus lane that is active during all the day,so you have to get out of it.

It really is a stupid idea making these particular bus lanes available to all. At the times they are usable they are not needed! They offer no advantage to overall traffic flow, and if you do use them it's just a matter of time before they cause you - and others - grief.

The only people who like them are smug drivers who think they're clever, racing past on the inside to queue jump then force their way back in to the lane they needed in the first place.

I use them when they make sense, but I take it easy. There is really no benefit to racing through them thinking you're such a clever so-and-so. (Trying to be polite there.)

What you need to realise is that the people staying out of that kind of useless opened - up bus lane AREN'T unaware they can use it. They have chosen not to, to preserve orderly progress. Every now and then I look in the mirror and see a dozen or so cars lined up behind me, all cooperating, resisting the urge to be selfish. And it's a beautiful thing. A rare moment of civilised road use.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

The person crossing is plenty old enough to know how she SHOULD cross the road safely, the fact that she DOESN'T cross safely is up to her if she gets killed so be it, frankly I don't personally care, the same as she doesn't, yes the van should have been going a bit more careful but facts are facts he is allowed to do this, it's about time the car driver stopped being the "villain" and others like pedestrians took their share of any blame

I agree, she was 100% in the wrong. But the point is, behaviour like hers is common. If you drive in London and don't expect this to happen, you will probably end up hitting someone.

If you are driving in a bus lane, even legally, you should know that it can take other people by surprise, and you should use the appropriate level of caution.

I have to disagree with one thing. He was not "allowed to do this." He was being reckless, and you are not allowed to drive recklessly, even if the thing you are doing is otherwise allowed.

The person crossing is plenty old enough to know how she SHOULD cross the road safely, the fact that she DOESN'T cross safely is up to her if she gets killed so be it, frankly I don't personally care, the same as she doesn't, yes the van should have been going a bit more careful but facts are facts he is allowed to do this, it's about time the car driver stopped being the "villain" and others like pedestrians took their share of any blame
Easier said than done when you have rules like we have here, saying that it's the motorists duty to protect pedestrians, even if they're doing things that go against their own rules. :mad:

The trouble these days is everybody acts like children, and there are no police around to act as parents.

Back