No GPS date/time sync?

lacibaci

Reaction score
Country
United States
Does this camera sync its date/time with GPS? I set the time from the Android app and even though it got GPS lock (speed shown, location properly logged) it never corrected time (it was 40 secs off)

how did you determine the time was off if it has synced with your phone already?
I checked against two other cameras (Garmin and SG) which were spot on. Also compared to my nav unit.

so your phone is off by 40 seconds as well?
Not now. I set the date/time on Joovuu X couple of weeks ago (by syncing with phone app). As it was sitting in a drawer, the time drifted. When I pulled it out I noticed the time was off by about 40secs. I thought nothing of it because it would self correct as soon as it got GPS lock.
Since then I was running it for a couple of days and it never adjusted. I know it got GPS lock every time it turned on because X makes a special sound when it does. Also, the location and speed was logged correctly.
I don't know why this was designed this way - can't see a reason why you wouldn't want to sync with GPS as soon as you have a valid time...

For those with Joovuu X you can make this simple test: set your camera's time a minute or two off and restart making sure you can get GPS lock (wait for the GPS lock sound) Let it record for couple of minutes and you will see that the time will still be wrong.

might depend how often they have it setup to sync via GPS (assuming they do), that's not something that is generally done too often anyway but cameras that have wifi apps often have the option to sync via the app instead, the wifi device will generally have an NTP time sync setup and should also be accurate

might depend how often they have it setup to sync via GPS (assuming they do), that's not something that is generally done too often anyway but cameras that have wifi apps often have the option to sync via the app instead, the wifi device will generally have an NTP time sync setup and should also be accurate
Well, I had it running in my car for three days, multiple drives every day and it never corrected.
Whatever logic they used is weird. Why sync with the app and NTP client when the most accurate clock is right there...

Well, I had it running in my car for three days, multiple drives every day and it never corrected.
Whatever logic they used is weird. Why sync with the app and NTP client when the most accurate clock is right there...
can't speak on their behalf but quite often cameras that have apps to access do rely on the wifi device to set the clock rather than the GPS as the general thinking is that you're going to access via the app anyway, it also sorts things for any users that don't use the GPS so saves a lot of coding to support just the one method of keeping things in sync

can't speak on their behalf but quite often cameras that have apps to access do rely on the wifi device to set the clock rather than the GPS as the general thinking is that you're going to access via the app anyway, it also sorts things for any users that don't use the GPS so saves a lot of coding to support just the one method of keeping things in sync
Makes sense I guess. Unfortunately Joovuu app is unusable (Android 7.1.2) so there goes that argument :/

Makes sense I guess. Unfortunately Joovuu app is unusable (Android 7.1.2) so there goes that argument :/

not really that familiar with their product, Android apps are finicky things at the best of times as there is so much possible variation in the end user environment which is a challenge to deal with

Yes indeed on the apps, some times i have had the X cam android app work just flawless, and then some weeks later with no changes at all to camera or app it will barely connect.
I fully understand the people that have given wifi a pass in their products.

Yes indeed on the apps, some times i have had the X cam android app work just flawless, and then some weeks later with no changes at all to camera or app it will barely connect.
I fully understand the people that have given wifi a pass in their products.
It's not a general problem with Wi-Fi. I have plenty of other devices and at least one another dash cam that work flawlessly in the same scenario.

This is just plain bad coding/testing. @JooVuu needs to hire developers and QA team that know what they're doing - otherwise get out of business and stop advertising X as "Best Dash Cam" with "Incredible Reliability" and "Professional Support"

I will say that i always felt that the people working on the FW was just trying stuff, some times fixing one thing ruined two other things that was working fine before.
So yes those partners seem to be less than optimal indeed.

I cant remember about the first 2 x cams ( pre-production ) but the production one always worked great for me, i cant recall a single stop for camera reasons, but i had a few times where the PSU came loose, but the extension i use do that with all so i need to secure them with rubber bands or something.

O i also had a few SD cards die in the x cameras, but i think that was just bad luck and me running 3 of them at the time, so math dictate the chance of a card dying in a x cam must be higher.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C JooVuu 6
T JooVuu 10
Back