Motorcycle vs car door caught on security cam (thailand)

Damn, that looks fatal. The bike was flying but had plenty of time to see the open door.

a full 3 seconds... so how far back (given the speed it was going) would it have been when the guy opened the door? I bet it wasn't even in sight!

Unbelievable. The guy even opened the door a crack for an extra look before opening fully, probably on top of checking the mirror.
I'm speculating a little there, but regardless of whether he looked once, twice, or not at all, the biker was 100% to blame for that sickening event. He simply wasn't looking where he was going at all.

Had this happened in the USA, the car driver is at fault since it was not safe for him to open his door in traffic. Just had a similar conversation with a cop friend about this a couple days ago.

Last edited:
Look at it again. The door was open for quite a while when the bike hit. The driver cracks the door a little bit, possibly to check traffic, hesitates, then gets out and is fully standing when the bike hits.. This wasn't an instantaneous opening/impact situation. It looks like there are two full lanes, also, and the bike is traveling at high speed close to the edge of the lane, parked cars, etc. It's 'the bike ran into an open car door' rather than 'car opens door on bike'.

Alert riders look for details such as a car door opening slightly. The rider could have had 4+ seconds warning, and could not have missed the 3 seconds+ when the door was quite visibly open had they been paying adequate attention to their riding. Speed can be hard to judge with views like this but he positively wasn't going slow. Nor was he closer to the middle where his hazards would be fewer and which would have given him more room to react. So definitely the biker's fault here though the car driver might have possibly done a better job looking for the rider- no way to tell anything about that within the FOV of this clip.

I would also like to point out that there are no US laws regarding this- all matters of this sort are regulated by each State and those laws can vary quite a bit from place to place, unlike the UK and many other places where it is nationally regulated ;) That's something I'd like to see happen here as what is legal and proper can change every time you cross into another State :rolleyes:

Phil

Don't get me wrong, I get as angry as hell at selfish people who think it's OK to open car doors, forcing people to evade them... even when it's safe. Moving vehicles have priority, you don't have any right to create an obstruction that others have to avoid.

But in this case (if I recall right, I can't watch the video right now) the driver got out when it was clear and safe, and having his door left open didn't create any extra difficulty, there was plenty of room for the biker. The only obstruction was the parked car, door open or not making no material difference, at least for a bike.

This was a simple case of the biker bumbling along not looking where he was going.

As far as I know there's no place in the world where a driver is not allowed to safely get out of his car after parking legally.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Back