Review - mini 0801s

hultaj

Reaction score
Country
Poland
It is my first review, so don't kill me for being non professional ;)

I have it for over 3 months now, and I think it is a good time to say something about my 0801s, bacause it is a quite nice dashcam.
I like to test unpopular things. Everyone is talking about great a119, people in my country are loosing their minds about xiaomi products. But world is much bigger than that, isn't it?
So let's start.

I had to get use to menu in 0801s. Camera is small. Quality is good. Maybe it is not a top product, but for sure it doesn't look bad. Everything is just fine when You look at it.
I am not a fan of suction cups. Dashcam should be stealth and suction cups attract the attention. Leave something on a suction cup in my car? Too risky. So 0801s uses adhesive tape. Mounted behind mirror is almost unnoticeable.
1111.jpg 3333.jpg 2222.jpg

GPS.. I have turned off speed stamps on my videos, but when I was testing 0801s I was very pleased how nice it works. Even if You turn off speed stamp it still logs it, so it is possible to check Your speed and track.
Tracking works with GVP Player. I had problems to make it work with different programs. So I thought there was a problem with the cam, but jokiin pointed me software issue, and he was right. Tracking in 0801s works with GVP (download link is in the cam).

Gsensor works good for me on a medium setting.

Sound is ok. You can hear people talking inside Your car.

Video is more narrow, there is no fisheye effect. For some people it is a plus, for some it is a minus. I am in the first group.

This dashcam has capacitor- big plus. It was in direct sun for whole day in a parking mode and there was no artefacts or gaps between recordings. Working temperature is... normal. Mostly it is just light warm/warm. Without any problems You can unmount it after a long trip.
Parking mode is 1fps. When You turn off Your car, it records normal video for 1min, then parking mode kicks in. Normal 3min vid takes 350mb. 15mins (30sec video) in a parking mode is just 57mb.

I have found one problem with warnings. If dashcam is not recording, it shows error on the screen, led is not blinking. And that's great BUT there also should be a sound warning. I have it behind my mirror. I don't see the screen or led, so if my card is corrupted, or there is something wrong, I won't be notified about it.

now something about the video quality.
Videos are ~16mb/s 1920x1080 30fps.
Are videos are good? Yes, they are. For sure quality is not as good as in a119. But for that price? It is great deal. Look, You pay 60$ (or even less) and You have a dashcam with gps (speed) and reliable parking mode.
For me it is all I wanted. Videos are nice. You can see traffic lights, nearby car plates. At night it is hard to see many details. But most cams have this problem.

I have some videos on yt. They are random, not where image is the best, to show how great this cam is etc. I was trying to show different conditions. Vids are without cpl filter. Oh, right- cpl filter. I found easy way to make it. Costs about 8$. Looks like oem. Ofc using cpl has some drawbacks, but in some situations it is a good choice, personally I like it. https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/diy-the-easiest-way-cpl-for-mini-0801s.28931/

Like we all know, YT is a bad place to talk about the video quality...

screenshot from the original fhd video (200%)
bmw-ori.jpg

screenshot from the youtube fhd video (200%)
bmw-yt.jpg

ok. so vids..

sunset, rain, very bad conditions for cams. ALSO white balance WAS NOT in auto. I was testing fluortesc2, but I was caught in the rain.

same conditions, but with cpl (fluoresc2!)

normal weather, gps (it is an old "quiet" firmware)

cloudy, rainy, gps lock (usually it takes up to 30secs to lock the signal)

night

sunny day

parking mode (at the end it is my hand- I was checking the temperature- no burn marks ;) )

Conclusion

Unquestionably it is not the best dashcam on the market. But for sure it is a good dashcam. And as a black box of Your car it will work just great. Also it has reliable parking mode, which is a big plus. Video quality is not brilliant, but I can't say it is bad. I don't use dashcam to record beautiful views. Also I don't need to see plates 20meters ahead. Most important number plates are near my car. I see who is in front of me, who is passing by... And plates of these cars are clear. Maybe I don't have high requirements, but for me it is a black box, it has to give a proof if it was my fault or not. And this cam can show who caused an accident, so it works. At nights the quality is decent. In most cases plates are invisible- they reflect lights, so duh. Or they are blurred. Also I like how Skyhigh-Global listens to customers.
At this point I don't like only one thing- there is no sound warning when camera is not recording. It give me a sound when it turns on, but I don't know if it is recording or not.. This is a big minus.
If You want a discreet, cheap dash cam, with reliable parking mode, I think You will be happy with 0801s. But if Your main requirement is the best video quality, 0801s is not for You.

Last edited:
try another map software, the camera is probably fine just Registrator Viewer was never coded to suit this model unfortunately

try another map software, the camera is probably fine just Registrator Viewer was never coded to suit this model unfortunately
It also happens on the software that came with the camera. Just on registrator viewer it was easier to show it. Dashcam viewer doesn't work for me- I can't play my files there.

what software did it come with?
aaaand I am an idiot. There was 2nd software- GVP Player. And it works fine. So You are right- it was a software issue. 1st software is just a plugin or something like that for QT player, and it doesn't work perfect. That's why I was using Registrator Viewer. But there was a 2nd link to GVP. I have to reedit my review, because it is not fair

aaaand I am an idiot. There was 2nd software- GVP Player. And it works fine. So You are right- it was a software issue. 1st software is just a plugin or something like that for QT player, and it doesn't work perfect. That's why I was using Registrator Viewer. But there was a 2nd link to GVP. I have to reedit my review, because it is not fair
Pretty good for first review mate. Just a suggestion, do a print screen function in the keyboard, instead of YouTube comparison shots. This is because YouTube tends to compress video anyways so quality will be higher than what you are portraying

Back