Mobius 2 Action/Dash Cam support thread

Anyway,M2 is one popular item according to their ebay sales record...

you might be confusing it with Mobius 1

As of today, the Mobius retail outlet on eBay, eletoponline365 shows 24,008 Mobius 1 (A lens) cameras sold vs 605 M0bius 2 sold (which has now been on the market for one year).

Not as big a hit as the old one, now if this could transition over into young girls finding out that a older man are much better than a new young man.

That wine thing ;)

I've created a little X-Wing Mobius rig so I can test cameras side-by-side :) Planning to fit it in the car tomorrow.
IMG_20171002_231731.jpg
IMG_20171002_231822.jpg

It also works on a tripod, so I can do further testing outside the car too :D
IMG_20171002_232221.jpg

Not as big a hit as the old one, now if this could transition over into young girls finding out that a older man are much better than a new young man.

That wine thing ;)

new_smiley__big_grin_by_mondspeer-d8nvor8.png

Spent some time tonight scraping away the glue around the M2 lens. Happy to find that the lens does now rotate, so hopefully I can refocus it. There's enough glue left on the threads to hold the lens in place!

upload_2017-10-15_23-37-22.png

Spent some time tonight scraping away the glue around the M2 lens. Happy to find that the lens does now rotate, so hopefully I can refocus it. There's enough glue left on the threads to hold the lens in place!

View attachment 33784

These lens modules have a hole where the set-screw would have otherwise been. Looking at my M2 lenses I've wondered if it might not be possible to fit the hole with a new hex screw, possibly a slightly larger one than the original so that it could self tap it's own threads.

These lens modules have a hole where the set-screw would have otherwise been. Looking at my M2 lenses I've wondered if it might not be possible to fit the hole with a new hex screw, possibly a slightly larger one than the original so that it could self tap it's own threads.
It would have to tap/drill through the lens holder too. Looking at that hole, it doesn't go all the way through to the lens threads.

It would have to tap/drill through the lens holder too. Looking at that hole, it doesn't go all the way through to the lens threads.

Yes it would require a tap but the default hole seems bigger than the M1. I need to open up one of my cams and look again to confirm as it's been awhile.

I got an Ebay coupon, and I'm thinking of getting me an M2 after all.

Would that be doing the right thing? I mean, there were a lot of red signs some time ago, but I have no idea where it stands now. I could buy the A/B-lens version now for EU 52.00, that's a nice enough deal to consider, the lens C-version for EU 53.00.

I'd be thinking the B lens, as it has the largest aperture (F2.0) and still 95 degree horizontal FOV.

But should I? Or use my coupon for something else?

Would that be doing the right thing? I mean, there were a lot of red signs some time ago, but I have no idea where it stands now. I could buy the A/B-lens version now for EU 52.00, that's a nice enough deal to consider, the lens C-version for EU 53.00.

I'd be thinking the B lens, as it has the largest aperture (F2.0) and still 95 degree horizontal FOV.

You're still trying to buy more cameras? I thought 10 was one too many? :eek:

I'd still take the M1 over the M2. With the M1 you get a set screw so you can swap in any M12 lens - the M2 still comes with a glued in lens.
I've been working with Mobius to try and improve image quality on the M2 but it still has a little way to go.

I'd still take the M1 over the M2. With the M1 you get a set screw so you can swap in any M12 lens - the M2 still comes with a glued in lens.
I've been working with Mobius to try and improve image quality on the M2 but it still has a little way to go.

HEY! I'm Dutch, I can't let a bargain go past by! :ROFLMAO:

Besides I'm in the "doghouse" anyway, so...why not stretch it for a bit...? Hahaha

Anyway, thanks for the heads up, I will use it for something else then.

After first being publicly announced by Tom Frank on September 10, 2015 the Mobius 2 was finally released to the marketplace in June, 2016 and then abruptly withdrawn from sale due to the loud public outcry from the Mobius community over the camera's atrocious, absolutely unacceptable image quality. On July 19, 2016 the M2 was re-released with only marginally improved results and still yielding extremely sub-par performance. Here we are in November 2017 and the camera is still not ready for prime time even running the most recently updated private beta firmware despite various improvements. The only publicly available firmware for the camera is still V.2.08 which was released last April.

The camera has numerous shortcomings compared to the original. Instead of a "new and improved" successor to the M1 we have a poorly performing, still unfolding two year old, "debacle" that has also eliminated many of its most appealing original features.

• The user can no longer manually focus and set the lens as all M2 lenses now come heavily glued in place and have no set-screw.

• There is no web cam mode.
  • There is no longer a DCIM folder for easy recognition and transfer of files, especially to a portable device out in the field.
  • The brilliantly conceived slide-in mounting cradle with pop out tripod mount is gone, instead having been replaced by a brass T-stand tripod mount with four very tiny, easy to lose screws that make it highly impractical and nearly impossible to install or remove this mount out in the field or in a vehicle.
  • And the new control buttons on the side of the camera which I know some may find appealing have destroyed the natural thumb operated ergonomics of the original that so many of us enjoyed when using the original Mobius handheld. So, again a step backwards and to some of us another unpleasant surprise.
I currently have two M2 cameras that I retired from service because they perform so poorly. I wouldn't touch a Mobius 2 with a ten foot USB cable at this point in time.

After wasting 10 months of my time as an M2 beta tester I have a lot to say on this subject but I've been biting my tongue. One of these days I will speak my mind and let the chips fall where they may, especially after receiving a recent email from Mobius that was an absolute slap in the face to everyone who ever spent their hard earned money on the Mobius 2. Mobius feels it has no obligation to offer the buyers of the sub-par M2 anything other than silence and denial of obvious problems by its key online apparatchiks. And to paraphrase the way it was put to me, "it's not about the money"; that is, unless you've been on the spending end of the equation.

Last edited:

Actually, I forgot the Runcam 2, two Mobï that broke down and renewed, and some no good avi/mjpeg garbage, so I owned 14 (I think.... eek indeed, even I am shocked...) before buying the Mijia.... I don't have them all anymore, some broke down, while others were sold.

List (if you must know)

Mobius (Broke down)
Mobius (Broke down)
Foxeer legend 2 (broke down)
Foxeer legend 2 (broke down)
Foxeer legend 3 (sold)
Mobius (Replacement)
Mobius (Replacement)
Mobius Sold (temp cam during replacement ship)
JooVuu X
Runcam Split (broke down)
Runcam 2 (got that from RC cause of the broken Split)
Matecam808
SQ11
VIOFO A119S

you must be doing something right, seems @Dashmellow was providing them plenty of feedback and trying to help and by the sounds of things it was falling on deaf ears

The M2 are fairly good when there are light, though it do seem to favor slow exposure timings over lovering ISO value.
Low light not there at all, there it seem to want to crank ISO to MAX, and we get the noise in the footage.

you must be doing something right, seems @Dashmellow was providing them plenty of feedback and trying to help and by the sounds of things it was falling on deaf ears

I wouldn't say "deaf ears" exactly but there was a a distinct reluctance to admit that certain problems even existed. Time and again I would submit simultaneous comparisons between the Mobius 2 and other cameras like the M1 or the SG9665GC. In one instance I submitted screen shots comparing the M2 and SG9665GC entering a roundabout at night. I had specifically been asked to test with WDR turned OFF because the results with WDR turned ON were so abysmal in the exact same location and time the day earlier.

The reply I received was "We could see M2 got a bit over exposured and the lens flare control is not good enough. But we can also see the sensor ability. Look at the green trees at far. We can see much more."

I tried desperately to explain that the visible trees in the distance are completely irrelevant. We are using the M2 as a DASH CAM here, not an RC FPV camera. I attempted to explain that as a dash cam the requirement is to clearly capture the cars on the road in front of you and hopefully the license plates. The M2 was failing miserably at this. As a beta tester being told that the trees in the distance are visible while ignoring the elephant in the room about the otherwise poor performance of the camera was exasperating. This experience more or less played itself out over and over.

Here are two of the examples in question that I'm referring to.

Here you see the M2 example ....., the one where the response was, "Look at the green trees at far. We can see much more"!
M2_wdr_off.jpg

Here is the simultaneous "control" example from the SG9665GC submitted for comparison. The make and models of the cars are apparent along with a clear license plate number and identifiable state of registration for the car to my right.

I don't know, maybe "deaf ears" is the correct term after all. Remember, these tests were done a year ago and even with the more recently improved firmware the camera still is not performing as it should (or was promised when announced in 2015 ).
SG9665GC.jpg

Last edited:
I wouldn't say "deaf ears" exactly but there was a a distinct reluctance to admit that certain problems even existed. Time and again I would submit simultaneous comparisons between the Mobius 2 and other cameras like the M1 or the SG9665GC. In one instance I submitted screen shots comparing the M2 and SG9665GC entering a roundabout at night. I had specifically been asked to test with WDR turned OFF because the results with WDR turned ON were so abysmal.

The reply I received was "We could see M2 got a bit over exposured and the lens flare control is not good enough. But we can also see the sensor ability. Look at the green trees at far. We can see much more."

I tried desperately to explain that the visible trees in the distance are completely irrelevant. We are using the M2 as a DASH CAM here, not an RC FPV camera. I attempted to explain that as a dash cam the requirement is to clearly capture the cars on the road in from of you and hopefully the license plates. The M2 was failing miserably at this. As a beta tester being told that the trees in the distance are visible while ignoring the elephant in the room about the otherwise poor performance of the camera was exasperating. This experience more or less played itself out over and over.

Here are two of the examples in question that I'm referring to.

Here you see the M2 example ....., the one where the response was, "Look at the green trees at far. We can see much more"!
View attachment 34656

Here is the simultaneous "control" example from the SG9665GC submitted for comparison. The make and models of the cars are apparent along with a clear license plate number and identifiable state of registration for the car to my right.

I don't know, maybe "deaf ears" is the correct term after all. Remember, these tests were done two years ago and even with the more recently improved firmware the camera still is not performing as it should (or was promised when announced in 2015 ).
View attachment 34655

Yeah, I'm definitely not buying one now! Thanks for the warning....

Yeah, I'm definitely not buying one now! Thanks for the warning....

Keep in mind that the latest (un-released) firmware will be vastly better than these year old beta screen grabs, yet still problematic from what I've seen.

Back