Crazy Drives #8

BlackCloud

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
2 x VIOFO A119s v2 (Front) : VIOFO A119 v1 (Rear)
The last clip is hard to see in the video. I was a bit far back when I saw the pole fall.

my first car (1988 camry) had such worn out locks, that a co-worker of mine who also drove a camry with the same body style once unlocked and STARTED my car with his key. he only realized he was in the wrong car when he reached back to put his briefcase in the back seat and saw my backpack. funny part is my car was beige with maroon interior, and his was gray with light gray interior.

my first car (1988 camry) had such worn out locks, that a co-worker of mine who also drove a camry with the same body style once unlocked and STARTED my car with his key....
Not all that uncommon given there are a limited number of key cuts possible, especially with the older ignition/door locks.

I once had nearly the same thing happen to me with an old VW Beetle. Came out after work and got into 'my' car but could not turn the ignition switch. After struggling for a minute there was a knock on the window and the owner wanted to know WTH I was doing in his car. It was then I realized that my identical VW was parked 2 spots further down.

To make things worse I was in the military at the time and the car I was in was owned by the base Executive Officer (2nd in command for the uninitiated). We both, eventually, had a good laugh about the situation - more so when we figured out his key would not open my door but would work in the ignition. I guess tolerances were a bit loose back then.

I know of a few models where ignition lock wear is so bad that simply turning the empty switch while jiggling it will often start the vehicle. And I once had 2 cars of the same make. Either set of keys opened both car's doors but the switch keys were different. More than a few times I had to switch key-rings after getting inside :p

Phil

yeah mine was just worn out with just shy of 200k on the clock. on bumpy roads, the keys would often fall out and hit my leg, so i tried to keep my keychain as minimal as possible - car, house, and that's it. everything else (lockers, work, etc) i kept on a separate keyring. for a brief time, my dad had an 88 camry wagon, and its key would unlock the door but not start mine. my key never worked in anyone else's car though.

drivetrain was great though, and easily got 40 mpg on the highway. but for some reason, cruise didn't work above 80. if you were going say 85 or 90 and hit SET then let off the gas, it would coast down to 80 and hold it there. it held whatever your set speed was as long as it was 80 or less. that was really annoying driving to/from dallas, even before they raised the speed limit to 75. typically, if you're not doing 90, you're going to be run over.

Back