toasted a118c help

dogcrapau

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi all yes i stupidly fried my a118c with a direct 12v connection.
any how i am destined on my journey to polish this turd
I opened it up to have a look to see what blew,

The caps are discharging at 0.2v each (rated 2.7v 3.3F) is this toasted?
and there is a chip that is burnt I THINK does anyone know what it is ??
It does nto appear that any other chips are toasted.
any help appreciated...

its basically parts but hoping to see if i could restore it .. a spare has been ordered.
fvCo9k

https://ibb.co/fvCo9k

free photo uploading sites
fvCo9k [img]

ooooooooooo looks painful! might it be easier (and no more costly) to just replace the cam?

Yeap already did place an order, but this is still floating around and wouldnt mind having a tinkle.
I am just finding it tough to find out what that burnt chip may be

If it only has two solder joints then it will be a tantalum capacitor, they happily blow up well before 12V and it doesn't need replacing by the exact same one.

@viofo would be able to identify it for you.

Don't forget to look for vias going through to the other side if it's a 2-sided PCB- there could be damage to other close-linked components. I'd replace the super-caps after getting the rest sorted out as they perform a critical function in saving the last file and they're cheap. I'd suspect their charging circuit (or parts thereof) are toast too- a 7V over-voltage is beyond 2X the expected level which makes problems here almost certain.

Kudos for the effort but IMHO it's not worth the effort to fix this kind of damage to a cam unless you're doing it for fun. A handful of parts will cost you nearly as much as the whole cam. Maybe put out a cheap offer for a dead one and see what some parts swapping will do instead ;)

Phil

If it only has two solder joints then it will be a tantalum capacitor, they happily blow up well before 12V and it doesn't need replacing by the exact same one.

@viofo would be able to identify it for you.
Is viofo on this forum?

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Don't forget to look for vias going through to the other side if it's a 2-sided PCB- there could be damage to other close-linked components. I'd replace the super-caps after getting the rest sorted out as they perform a critical function in saving the last file and they're cheap. I'd suspect their charging circuit (or parts thereof) are toast too- a 7V over-voltage is beyond 2X the expected level which makes problems here almost certain.

Kudos for the effort but IMHO it's not worth the effort to fix this kind of damage to a cam unless you're doing it for fun. A handful of parts will cost you nearly as much as the whole cam. Maybe put out a cheap offer for a dead one and see what some parts swapping will do instead ;)

Phil
Will have a check tonight. I have a multimeter. But how does one test the tat capacitors?

Tantulum* cap I meany

From the photo, it doesn't look like it needs testing! Those things do actually explode if given too much voltage, not just burn.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Will pm viofo as well.. But keep the tips coming.

Now I'm going to try figure the tantulum cap polarity direction or specs

Now I'm going to try figure the tantulum cap polarity direction or specs

They explode if you mount them backwards too - wear safety glasses when you power it on :D

Better to just replace the PCB.

Back