If you use a sunshade.....

DougT007

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi - thanks for having this forum. Just thinking about them and these to thoughts are steering me away from "flush mounted" cameras and bothering with the parking mode (although that sounds attractive...!) What do you think of my logic please - I live in Colorado with bright hot sun so I use the sunshade basically year round! Thanks for your help.

1) the cameras that mount up flush with the window would be a bigger problem in the heat I think. I always use a sunshade so I could just be covering the camera (sunshade in back of the camera pushing against the window) so that would just make it worse heat wise for the poor camera...see what I mean?

2) So if I went with a camera mounted away from the window and slid the sunshade in front of it - I might as well not bother with the parking monitor type cameras since the camera is just facing the sunshade!!!

Hi - thanks for having this forum. Just thinking about them and these to thoughts are steering me away from "flush mounted" cameras and bothering with the parking mode (although that sounds attractive...!) What do you think of my logic please - I live in Colorado with bright hot sun so I use the sunshade basically year round! Thanks for your help.

1) the cameras that mount up flush with the window would be a bigger problem in the heat I think. I always use a sunshade so I could just be covering the camera (sunshade in back of the camera pushing against the window) so that would just make it worse heat wise for the poor camera...see what I mean?

2) So if I went with a camera mounted away from the window and slid the sunshade in front of it - I might as well not bother with the parking monitor type cameras since the camera is just facing the sunshade!!!

By "sunshade", I assume your are referring to your car's built in sun visors rather than an aftermarket full windshield sun shade. If so, consider a camera you could mount below your rear view mirror, away from the sun visors. If you are using an after market full "sunshade", perhaps you might modify it to allow for a camera to peek through and still have some ventilation?

Thanks - it's both actually -put another post in re the "built in" plastic sunvisor... Maybe a peak a boo hole!...haha. DT

Thanks - it's both actually -put another post in re the "built in" plastic sunvisor... Maybe a peak a boo hole!...haha. DT

Probably a remote lens camera such as the SGZC12RC would be the best compromise, leaving as much space for ventilation around the small lens module as possible.

I am just south of you in New Mexico, and I also use a reflective sun shade. I have an A119 w/GPS, and my shade slides between the lens and the windshield, being stopped by the GPS. I have had no problem with heat, with this set-up. I do not leave mine to monitor while parked.

Why not use the sunshade outside the windscreen, tuck between the two doors, and if needed, underneath one of the wipers? That's what I do and I also found out it keeps the car's interior cooler than if I put it on the inside. :)

Thanks for all your input - I was wondering about a sunshade 'under' the A119.

I am just south of you in New Mexico, and I also use a reflective sun shade. I have an A119 w/GPS, and my shade slides between the lens and the windshield, being stopped by the GPS. I have had no problem with heat, with this set-up. I do not leave mine to monitor while parked.
Hi - I'm not sure of all the GPS details but probably wasn't going to get that part. Could you slide the sunshade under the camera lens if you didn't have the GPS part...?

Hi - I'm not sure of all the GPS details but probably wasn't going to get that part. Could you slide the sunshade under the camera lens if you didn't have the GPS part...?

I think that the non-GPS mount is the same thickness, so it would probably work. The one that I use is a reflective fold-up foil shade that is probably about 1/4" thick. Why wouldn't you want the GPS?

Looks like there are some benefits to the GPS - plus $10 more...so yes, I have modified my thinking about that. Appreciate the guys helping with some of my other posts as well as this one.

You could get yourself a front windshield visor.

hhrvisorclose2.2.07edited.JPG

I've been driving in Denver for years and never use sun shade even though I have few of them.
When I was in Dallas, I had to use shade otherwise I couldn't even touch the steering wheel but in Denver, it never gets that hot.
Currently, I have A119 and Chupad 501 in the front, both wedge shaped.

You could get yourself a front windshield visor.

With the correct period / model car a visor like that are more or less a must :cool:

Back