SJCAM SJ6 Legend Video Review

USDashCamera

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey guys,

SJCAM sent me the SJ6 Legend camera for an honest review. The cam has been out for a bit but I will list my pros and cons at least if you wanna see my main points, but watch the video review down below for my more in depth review and opinion on it.

Pros:

1. Cost, its around $150-160 on Amazon in the US currently, which is quite a bit more than a lot of other cheaper GoPro clones, but still a lot cheaper than a new GoPro.
  2. Touch screen controls, the menu is very easy to use and the touch screen worked flawlessly. It makes me never want to go back to a non touch screen action cam.
  3. Water proof touch back door, it comes with an optional back door for the water proof case that allows you to still use the touch, and the camera will still be waterproof down to 10ft deep.
  4. Build quality, over all feels nice and high quality.
  5. Accessories, comes with everything a beginner who would consider a more affordable option to GoPro would need. They also felt more high quality than accessories I got from other action cams around the $100 or less price range.
Cons

1. 4k, poor 4k, its 2880x2160 at 24 frames per second and interpolated. Not worth using in my opinion.
  2. When I used 4k with medium field of view I had a single row of pixels stuck, causing a line to show up in all that footage. the line never showed up in any other field of view in 4k or other resolutions though. SJCAM said check my firmware (it was up to date) and try wide or narrow field of view. Using the different FOV did fix it but that's not really a true fix to me, its still a defect. But at the same time a defect for a resolution I wouldn't suggest using anyways. If you want 4k you should really seek a native 4k camera like the SJ7 (although I haven't used it so not sure on the quality).
  3. The WiFi app, I could not get it to work what so ever even after reading some trouble shooting. It just refused to connect, I even tried a few third party apps. Nothing worked. But in the end I wouldn't ever use it anyways except maybe transfer files. But when I use action cams I don't transfer files to my phone I would transfer to my laptop, or just swap memory cards. the wifi also will drain your battery quicker and for an action cam I think a longer battery life is far more important than the convenience of the wifi app.
Check out the full review:

I also have some sample clips, each was just taken in my back yard with some slow and quick panning and different resolutions and settings. It is one large .rar:

https://mega.nz/#!JIVzDSyI!vxpowk9ExOKVARvj0MlXstvbTsrjzU-jm1-0XtkdqW4

I like the Sj6 legend too a real good option if you want a good 1080p shooter that can go just about everywhere with the included fittings and waterproof housing.

The biggest minus with the Sj cameras are the different batteries, it would be so good if all cameras used the same batteries.
My friend got a Sj4000 and got some extra batteries for it, but sadly the Sj4000 was lost in a high speed RC boat crash so now he have one option it seem, buy a SJ4000 again ( not sure if SJ4000 wifi use same batteries )
And while the Sj 4000 is also a okay camera to get again, my friend have seen the newer Sj cameras i have and he really like those too, but ! if he get one of the newer cameras then he still will have nothing to use the older Sj4000 batteries and dual charger for.

If you use phone for the app you need to turn off mobile data, if i dont then the app are problematic, but turning that off it work flawless ( android 7.1.1 phone )

I like the Sj6 legend too a real good option if you want a good 1080p shooter that can go just about everywhere with the included fittings and waterproof housing.

The biggest minus with the Sj cameras are the different batteries, it would be so good if all cameras used the same batteries.
My friend got a Sj4000 and got some extra batteries for it, but sadly the Sj4000 was lost in a high speed RC boat crash so now he have one option it seem, buy a SJ4000 again ( not sure if SJ4000 wifi use same batteries )
And while the Sj 4000 is also a okay camera to get again, my friend have seen the newer Sj cameras i have and he really like those too, but ! if he get one of the newer cameras then he still will have nothing to use the older Sj4000 batteries and dual charger for.

If you use phone for the app you need to turn off mobile data, if i dont then the app are problematic, but turning that off it work flawless ( android 7.1.1 phone )
It seems a lot of cameras are moving away from SJ4000 batteries, they can't supply enough power for the 4K processors, but there are still lots of cameras that will take SJ4000 batteries, for one with similar image quality to the SJ6 he could try the Gitup Git2. Main difference to the SJ6 is that it doesn't have a touch screen, but the audio is better.

I tried turning off my mobile data, still didn't work.

I was pretty disappointed the batteries were different too. I have spare batteries for the odrvm which is the same as the sj4000 I think.

I've got a SJ5000X Elite. Was thinking to get this SJ6 because it is the only action cam that support a bluetooth remote! hmm.... might consider now after your review.
Perhaps a SJ7??? hehehe...

I've got a SJ5000X Elite. Was thinking to get this SJ6 because it is the only action cam that support a bluetooth remote! hmm.... might consider now after your review.
It sounds as if he may have had a defective unit (sensor had issue).

PCmag gave it editor's choice.

And this footage is simply amazing:

I tried turning off my mobile data, still didn't work.

Darn it :(

It is to me a bit strange SJcam that arguably have a lot of cameras run different batteries, it would be a big + if they as much as possible used the same batteries.
That i think would prompt people to stay with the brand if / when upgrading cuz they would not have to start all over.
But off course this only apply for the more hardcore users, the casual users will probably be fine with just the 1 battery that come with the camera.

My friend when he got his SJ 4000 he at once went out and got spare batteries and even a charger so he could charge 2 at a time, after the Sj4000 disappeared in that high speed RC boat crash he have been sort of lost.
He really like my Sj7 ( also the Sj6 but with him too the 720 and 1080p slow motion is a big + of the Sj7 ) but he was sad it do not use the Sj4000 batteries.

I would be okay if old batteries from a old SJ camera only gave me 30 minutes of recording time in a new SJ camera, cuz i would probably have several of those old batteries and it is quick to make a battery change in a SJ action camera.

I think even if batteries was a little different in size with a adapter it should be possible to use old small batteries in a new camera with a larger battery as long as the contacts are the same location in relation to a corner and the pin out was the same.
Sort of like you can get a adapter so you can use 18650 batteries in a flashlight that was build for 26650 batteries.

Last edited:
As of late there were new battery shape for different models. For example, the SJ5000+, SJ5000x, M10+ all shared same battery and were not bad at performance as such. Then came M20 with a different battery, and SJ6 another different battery as with the SJ7.
As far as SJ6 goes, I have found myself using it more than I use the SJ7. Simply for two reason, the GYRO setting of 'High' and tripod mount. On a day to day basis, in real world conditions, I found these to have more impact than a good 4K image.

No any SJCAM camera support bluetooth, they use RF remote control like Git2.
We are the first who implmented the bluetooth remote control on Novatek platform, both our G3 and F1 support bluetooth.

1. When I used 4k with medium field of view I had a single row of pixels stuck, causing a line to show up in all that footage. the line never showed up in any other field of view in 4k or other resolutions though. SJCAM said check my firmware (it was up to
It is a SDK issue in 2160P 24fps mode, this should be fixed before releasing, exist in early Novatek SDK for Panasonic sensor.

Back