Colors not accurate with IR camera

Min Huebner

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, new member here. I recently purchased 2 650s IR cameras with the power magic pro box. I am assuming people purchasing these are putting the cameras by the rear view mirror. I don't see another reason to get the IR version if people are putting them anywhere else.

My question is that the video for the IR camera has the color totally off. maybe its because of the IR feature but its really annoying. Is there a fix for this? Thanks

My question is that the video for the IR camera has the color totally off. maybe its because of the IR feature but its really annoying. Is there a fix for this? Thanks

No, IR has only light in the IR range, so there will never been any other color visible for the human eyes. You actual don't see any light a all, but can feel as a warm source, if it is powerful enough.
spectrumS_2.jpg

I appreciate the response . So basically the color for play back for the IR camera I have to live with.

Yes, nothing you can do about it.

The camera was design for taxi driver, so there can monitor the passenger.
Quote from blackbox my car.
"With the increasing popularity of services like Uber and Lyft, more and more customers are looking for a solution to record not only the exterior of the vehicle in the case of an accident, but the interior as well for their own security."

The reason there using IR vs. normal light is it discrete. You won't like to have a white flash light pointed in you face at night time. It will also make lot of reflects in the windshield, just like if your cabin light was on.
The IR light still make lot of reflection, but only as IR light, which we don't see.

In a normal camera there is an IR filter, because we as human don't like to see that part of light.

Check if you have a settings option to select which type of camera you have installed for the rear

Thanks for all your input. I guess my issue that doesn't make sense to me is during the day in natural light, why would the color be so out of whack? there is no IR going on during day. During the evening, I do see 2 red lights on each side of the IR lens. I assume those are the IR lights? But they are still visible. Here is an email response I got from tech support regarding off color on the IR camera during playback.

Dear Min Huebner,

Good day and thank you for choosing BlackVue.

Is that for both camera or just the internal camera?
Please do the following steps to upgrade the firmware (factory reset/troubleshooting) and see if this will solve the issue.

1. Turn off the dashcam and take out the SD card. Connect it with the computer by using the micro SD card reader.

2. After getting the backup your necessary recordings saved on the SD card, format it as FAT32[windows] / MS-DOS(FAT) [MAC] using the format tool in BlackVue PC Viewer program (please refer to the attached pics).

3. Download the latest firmware for your dashcam model from our website : https://www.blackvue.com/downloads/#1460710341510-e242903f-5343

4. Unzip the downloaded firmware and copy the "BlackVue" folder into the SD card.

5. Insert the SD card in the dashcam and power it up.

If the issue recurs, please send us the "Config" and "System" folders from the BlackVue folder inside the SD card.

Thank you

Best Regards
BlackVue Support Team

Attachment(s)
1.png
2.png

For IR lights to be of any use at night the camera needs to be without an IR cut filter, without an IR cut filter the colours will be off during the day, that's expected, it's why security cameras that use IR lights have a mechanical IR filter which is used during the day and moved out of the way for low light use

there is no IR going on during day.
The sun gives out just as much IR light as red light, if it didn't then it wouldn't feel hot when you are in the sun, just because you can't see it doesn't mean that it isn't there.

If the camera had separate colour sensors for IR light then there wouldn't be a problem, but with most current IR cameras the IR is picked up by the red, green and blue sensors in different amounts and that causes the odd colour, it's not an incorrect colour, just not the colour our eyes see.

Thanks guy. You pretty much answered all my questions. I appreciate it. Not sure why tech support wouldn't give me the same answer.

Back