no gps

brian kerr

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i just got a nextbase 402g dashcam from a friend. It was unused since new. In 7 hours of recording today, it never found a gps signal, even though the function is turned on. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Where is it mounted? GPS signals don't pass through some materials.

Welcome to NEXTBASE!!
Seriously the family have 5 of this make of cam, my own are 202 lite, and 402G, my dash cam finds GPS less than 1 time out of around 50, even when I am parked next to a GPS mast, I can actually touch the mast(mate is mast engineer), for a few months after I got the thinkware F770 I ran both cams, thinky has not ever not got it, issues that I have had with nextbase forced me to change makes, though there's defo so things about F770 I don't like

...even when I am parked next to a GPS mast,...

:confused: Please explain this. To the best of my knowledge GPS data comes exclusively from satellites orbiting the earth, not terrestrial towers.

As mentioned above look to see if the gps fiction is switched to ON firstly. Secondly I'd probably recommend resetting the NB402g by hard setting it with a pin of some sort to fully reset it on the outside of the device via the little reset hole/button

:confused: Please explain this. To the best of my knowledge GPS data comes exclusively from satellites orbiting the earth, not terrestrial towers.
ha ha my bad, had a blonde moment there you are of course correct

As mentioned above; if there is a heated windscreen this can affect the signal.

Do you get a GPS lock outside of the vehicle at all?

I don't have a heated screen, but yesterday ran my 402 alongside my Thinkware F770 in six hours of driving nextbase never locked on once, thinkware never lost lock on

Thanks for confirming @tabetha
Would you be able to get in touch with our technical support team? We'd certainly like to try and get this working for you.

I have a Nextbase 512GW and it consistently refuses to pick up GPS for the first couple of recordings, sometimes as many as four ... wherever I start my journey ... therefore it doesn't record my speed for the first part of my journey. It's only a year old, and it's always done it. I recently had the battery replaced and a new GPS module fitted under the warranty ... an excellent service from Nextbase. It was supposed to be tested before it was returned to me, but I still have the same problem. I did e-mail them about it, but never received a reply ☹️. Before it was serviced the GPS reception was very intermittent ... in fact, I had a no-fault accident last December, and although the recording of the collision was brilliant, that particular segment of video didn't record my speed, which was a shame, as I wasn't speeding! ☹️ Otherwise it is an excellent Dash Cam. Any ideas as to why it doesn't immediately pick up the GPS? I don't have a heated windscreen.

worth a try as it might be something in your vehicle that is interfering with, or inhibiting the signal
There might be ... it just seems strange that it's only the first couple of recordings ... then it sorts itself out!

Back