Need an action cam to record my basketball free throws

GoodEnough

Reaction score
Country
United States
Not dashcam, but you guys may know this.

GoPro is too wide screen, and has bad resolution when cropped.
So, 1080p is not enough res for cropping, so I need 4k.

I prefer a screen so I can adjust the frame (Not Mobius)
Needs battery life of 1-2 hours (Not CAP style dashcam)

Last edited:
You should have asked this in the action cameras section, not the dash cameras section ;)

There are a few 90 degree FOV action cameras about - Gitup Git2 90, Firefly 7S 90.

Or there is the new Gitup G3 which has a zoom that actually works - zooms in on the 4K sensor image instead of on the 1080 image like the rest!

Most action cameras can manage 1 hour, most give up before 2 hours but you can normally use a USB power bank to keep them going for days, unless it is one of the 4K cameras that overheats after 30 minutes and stops recording - a lot of them do when recording in 4K!

Thanks. That looks nicely priced. G3 records in 4k, right?

You will not get that battery time of any action camera, but you can add a USB power bank and it will record for a long - long time no problem.

Really long 4K recordings might be a problem as Nigel say, at least you do not want the camera to be sitting in the blazing sun with no wind doing that.

Thanks. That looks nicely priced. G3 records in 4k, right?
G3 does not do real 4K even though it has a 4K sensor, however it does do 2160 resolution with gyro stabilisation which the real 4K cameras can't do except for the Yi 4K+.

Most people will use it at 1080 60fps, I imagine you will want 60fps unless you will be doing your throws in slow motion, in which case you wont want a 4K 30fps camera!

What I sort of need is a wide angle that can be zoomed.
I can't control the distance of the filming, so I want to frame the shot via zoom to avoid cropping pixelization.

What I sort of need is a wide angle that can be zoomed.
I can't control the distance of the filming, so I want to frame the shot via zoom to avoid cropping pixelization.
With the digital zoom on the Gitup G3 you get more flexibility than most action cameras without loosing detail, but I don't know if it will have enough zoom for your purpose. Maybe it is not an action camera that you need, action cameras are designed for close up action.

You will not get that battery time of any action camera, but you can add a USB power bank and it will record for a long - long time no problem.
I've had well over 2 hours record time from the G3, but I'm not sure what the production cameras will do.

2 hours, that's pretty good.
Assume that is in single camera mode.

Wide angle that can be zoomed in digitally say in post production, that have to be 4 K then as you will otherwise get blocky footage when you zoon in digitally on a 1080p image.

This video are 1080p and i zoom in 50% on the freeze frame of the oncoming cars, and that's about as close you can go before it start to become too ugly.

The chasers often have a lot on their cars, and i have allways wondered why i have not seen a PTZ camera, you would be able to operate that from the comfort of your car with the camera connected to the laptop you often see chasers have.
BUT ! there are one problem, a regular mounted PTZ camera will not be able to go much above horizontal, but i assume you could mount it upside down.
Some PTZ cameras even have a wiper on them.

Such a camera will not give you the chance recordings, but with it to a laptop you could easy swing it towards a area of interest and then using optical zoom frame it as you like.

this IP camera can go far above horisontal it seem, should work fine unless you are rubbing shoulders with that F5

2 hours, that's pretty good.
Assume that is in single camera mode.
Yes, single camera, 1080 60fps, no gyro or any other features, 2 hours 26 minutes was the best I got from the prototype, I assume the production cameras with gyro etc will be less.

Back