Mobius Cap & USB Questions

DMICS

Reaction score
Country
Canada
So 2 questions I had. I just figured to combine the two into one post.

1. I lost the cap on my Mobius camera last weekend. I absolutely hate losing small items and I'm usually good at preventing this. Does Mobius send replacement caps? I just want something to protect the lens since I move around and travel with my Mobius a lot.

2. When I plug in my Mobius into my Macbook USB port some odd things happen. First, when plugged in and I want to play a video off my camera, the first 3-5 seconds play then the video freezes up but the audio continues playing. Second, about 5 minutes later the camera will automatically disconnect from my Macbook...so if I'm trying to transfer a video from my Mobius to my Macbook it's pretty much impossible since it'll disconnect during the transfer.

Any way to fix this? (keep in mind on my older 2008 Macbook Pro I have no issues with this, my 2013 Macbook running on OS X Yosemite is where the issues are).

better off buying yourself a USB card reader, cameras make for poor card readers at the best of times

Mobius does not send replacement lens caps but you can buy them from a number of Mobius vendors such as Banggood.

If you are connecting your Mobius directly to your computer, you don't need a card reader but it is best to download to videos to your PC for optimal viewing compared to playing directly off the camera's memory card.

Mobius does not send replacement lens caps but you can buy them from a number of Mobius vendors such as Banggood.

Thank you so much, this is why I love this forum.

If you are connecting your Mobius directly to your computer, you don't need a card reader but it is best to download to videos to your PC for optimal viewing compared to playing directly off the camera's memory card.

Agreed. But even when I plug my Mobius directly into my MB using the USB cord, if I'm transferring a file onto my computer the Mobius disconnects during the transfer every time.

better off buying yourself a USB card reader, cameras make for poor card readers at the best of times

Yeah I'll probably have to do this. Anyone card reader will suffice right? or are some better than others?

Agreed. But even when I plug my Mobius directly into my MB using the USB cord, if I'm transferring a file onto my computer the Mobius disconnects during the transfer every time.

This sounds like a connectivity problem more so than a camera issue. I would try a different cable USB cable and see if there is any improvement.

This sounds like a connectivity problem more so than a camera issue. I would try a different cable USB cable and see if there is any improvement.

Will do. Thanks!

Just an update, this worked. Thanks a lot.

I'm guessing the USB cable that came with my Mobius only works with some ports.

Just an update, this worked. Thanks a lot.

I'm guessing the USB cable that came with my Mobius only works with some ports.

That's great! Very pleased to hear that the problem was resolved.

FYI, there are two kinds of USB-A to mini-B cables which are available for the Mobius. One is a "4 pin" and the other is a "5 pin". The "4 pin" cable works to power the camera externally for such things as installing in a car and running off a charger. That's all it does.

The "5 pin" cable has an extra data connection that allows the camera to communicate with your computer for such things as transferring video or connecting to the mSetup program. This cable will also power the camera.

It is "possible" that this has been the source of your troubles.

That's great! Very pleased to hear that the problem was resolved.

FYI, there are two kinds of USB-A to mini-B cables which are available for the Mobius. One is a "4 pin" and the other is a "5 pin". The "4 pin" cable works to power the camera externally for such things as installing in a car and running off a charger. That's all it does.

The "5 pin" cable has an extra data connection that allows the camera to communicate with your computer for such things as transferring video or connecting to the mSetup program. This cable will also power the camera.

It is "possible" that this has been the source of your troubles.

I just checked again, and that's EXACTLY the problem. My Mobius came with the 4 pin cable, not the 5 pin...SMH. You would think all the cameras should just come with the 5 pin.

I just checked again, and that's EXACTLY the problem. My Mobius came with the 4 pin cable, not the 5 pin...SMH. You would think all the cameras should just come with the 5 pin.

The Mobius comes with a 5 pin for connecting to the computer for configuration but they sell the 3 meter 4 pin for powering it in your car. Sometimes you don't want the 5 pin because in some situations it can make the camera think it is connected to a computer when it isn't. I ran onto that with one of my power banks and had to modify the 5 pin 15 foot cable in my vehicle by cutting the data wire to get a Mobius to work properly. So, I guess the answer is that it depends on the situation.

Last edited:
Back