Capacitors/Mobius and charging ?

Lola

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Mobius, A119
I have had my Mobius 1 for some time without installing. When I purchased it I also bought a Super Capacitor to use instead of the batteries. I put the S- Capacitor in the Mobius, not thinking it would end up being a long time before I could get it installed.

Question: Have I destroyed anything in the camera? It still has power, I checked.

Is it OK to charge the camera on a home charger with the proper cable? If so, what would be getting charged, the capacitor?

It (the capacitor) only holds a charge for a few days, so where is the power coming from after a few months of sitting in it's box! Confused about this, it doesn't make sense !

I have had my Mobius 1 for some time without installing. When I purchased it I also bought a Super Capacitor to use instead of the batteries. I put the S- Capacitor in the Mobius, not thinking it would end up being a long time before I could get it installed.

Question: Have I destroyed anything in the camera? It still has power, I checked.

Is it OK to charge the camera on a home charger with the proper cable? If so, what would be getting charged, the capacitor?

It (the capacitor) only holds a charge for a few days, so where is the power coming from after a few months of sitting in it's box! Confused about this, it doesn't make sense !

You haven't damaged anything at all. A capacitor stores energy by means of a static charge as opposed to an electrochemical reaction like a battery, that's all. In a Mobius it will store enough energy to keep the date and time setting on the camera for 7-10 days. It would be unusual for it to still have power after a few months but I guess it could hold a tiny amount. Think of it as a kind of "mini battery". Check to see if the camera still has the correct time and date settings. That will tell you if it really still holds a charge.

You can charge the capacitor on a home 5V charger no problem.You can plug the cam into one of your computer USB ports as well and it will charge there too.

Read all about super-capacitors HERE.

You haven't damaged anything at all. A capacitor stores energy by means of a static charge as opposed to an electrochemical reaction like a battery, that's all. In a Mobius it will store enough energy to keep the date and time setting on the camera for 7-10 days. It would be unusual for it to still have power after a few months but I guess it could hold a tiny amount. Think of it as a kind of "mini battery". Check to see if the camera still has the correct time and date settings. That will tell you if it really still holds a charge.

You can charge the capacitor on a home 5V charger no problem.You can plug the cam into one of your computer USB ports as well and it will charge there too.

Thanks dashmellow, I'll read up on the super-capacitors tomorrow, this has been one of those days from hell.

I have found that the extra long bank holiday weekends don't do me any favours when it comes to my mobius so I tend to remove it & use the 'down time' to connect to my PC and install any updates as well as formatting the card. 4 days seems to be about the limit for power handling on my bus' mobius. The ones in the car tend to get power almost daily so there's rarely enough time for them to lose power.

Hehe my friend that a visited today have a intense dislike for Wednesdays, needless to say when i visited him today he was already redlining and this was like early afternoon.
Anyways i got down to putting a USB power grid in his car ( 8 X 2.4 A outlets ) and he cranked up the gas grill so i dident have to leave on a empty stomach.

Got some pork and some new German / Mexican sausages, nice ans spicy,,,,, me like :)

Hang in there. :)
Thanks to U and Gabacho.

You were talking a few days ago about getting a new USB home charger and said at the time you had a RAV, but not which one. That rung a bell and I went to the website that I think sawmaster gave me (home/wall chargers) and looked up the RAV USB home chargers. They are really good chargers! In fact they had one that had such a good write up that I bought it on Amazon. It was a RavPower 4 port 8 amp model RP-UC07 it has the safeguards that the Anker models have and puts out more power per port then Anker models. Tremendous reviews on Amazon also! Best thing was it is on sale at $15.??. so the price is way less then Anker equivalent. Just thought you might be interested. Anker seems to want to ride the enthusiasm they have earned, by raising their prices. That irritates me!
Making these things isn't rocket science, the secret is making them the right way, with decent parts

Here is a link to that guy that tears all these things apart and reports on them, and other items. Scroll down to the USB chargers. http://www.lygte-info.dk/info/indexArticles UK.html

That is a very good read!

... RavPower 4 port 8 amp model RP-UC07 it has the safeguards that the Anker models have and puts out more power per port then Anker models. Tremendous reviews on Amazon also! Best thing was it is on sale at $15.??....
Thanks for the heads up. Been contemplating a new one for a while now. Just ordered for $13.59. (y)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00OT6YUIY

Thanks to U and Gabacho.

You were talking a few days ago about getting a new USB home charger and said at the time you had a RAV, but not which one. That rung a bell and I went to the website that I think sawmaster gave me (home/wall chargers) and looked up the RAV USB home chargers. They are really good chargers! In fact they had one that had such a good write up that I bought it on Amazon. It was a RavPower 4 port 8 amp model RP-UC07 it has the safeguards that the Anker models have and puts out more power per port then Anker models. Tremendous reviews on Amazon also! Best thing was it is on sale at $15.??. so the price is way less then Anker equivalent. Just thought you might be interested. Anker seems to want to ride the enthusiasm they have earned, by raising their prices. That irritates me!
Making these things isn't rocket science, the secret is making them the right way, with decent parts

Here is a link to that guy that tears all these things apart and reports on them, and other items. Scroll down to the USB chargers. http://www.lygte-info.dk/info/indexArticles UK.html

The RAVPower 2 port 4.8 amp USB car charger I have doesn't seem to be available anymore but it's very similar to THIS one which may be it's replacement which amazingly is on sale at the moment for only $6.49! I think I paid $9.95 for the one I have. I was having some odd issues with a more expensive Anker version of the same thing, which is why I purchased it and it's been extremely reliable. The RAVPower comes with a lifetime warranty if you register the product. RAVPower seems to be giving Anker a good run for it's money as they also make some really nice power banks at attractive (cheaper than Anker) prices.

Yeah, I've been a fan of that guy's web site for quite a few years now. He does some great reviews and comparative testing.

The RAVPower 2 port 4.8 amp USB car charger I have doesn't seem to be available anymore but it's very similar to THIS one which may be it's replacement which amazingly is on sale at the moment for only $6.49! I think I paid $9.95 for the one I have. I was having some odd issues with a more expensive Anker version of the same thing, which is why I purchased it and it's been extremely reliable. The RAVPower comes with a lifetime warranty if you register the product. RAVPower seems to be giving Anker a good run for it's money as they also make some really nice power banks at attractive (cheaper than Anker) prices.

Yeah, I've been a fan of that guy's web site for quite a few years now. He does some great reviews and comparative testing.

Can't beat the price! If the reliability wasn't their it would mean something, However I believe the reliability is there, good parts and design. 4000 people bought the RAV home charger I purchased. Sure beats the $27.00 Anker wanted. Thanks for mentioning RAV! That guy sure is doing the general public a lot of good, need more people like him these days!

Can't beat the price! If the reliability wasn't their it would mean something, However I believe the reliability is there, good parts and design. 4000 people bought the RAV home charger I purchased. Sure beats the $27.00 Anker wanted. Thanks for mentioning RAV! That guy sure is doing the general public a lot of good, need more people like him these days!
+1 Good for you @Lola :)

Back