Capacitor Reminder - Power Off setting

the road toad

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Mobius 1 Lens D in Freelander 2
On testing my hard wired installation I was convinced that I had bought a dud capacitor until I came across a capacitor review on Amazon who said that the Power Off setting in the Cam had to be set to IMMEDIATE or the last recorded will clip would not be saved.
A pity that it does not mention that in the online manual for the Mobius 2?

@Isoprop who I'm sure will get that tidbit added to the manual ASAP.

Those of us already familiar with using cap-equipped cams will be aware of that idiosyncrasy but there are always newbies to cap-equipped cams who will benefit from having the details spelled out more clearly ;)

Phil

I just noticed that mSetup (latest version 4.0.9.1) for the M2 does not have an option to control the 'Power-Off Disconnect' variable, which it does for the M1, so you cannot set the M2 to "immediate" for capacitor operation. Am I missing something? Currently using a battery in my M2, and it does turn off automatically when external power is turned off. I'm sure I set this parameter some time ago on my M2???

Mobius 1 Settings:
upload_2017-2-13_22-47-58.png

Mobius 2 Settings:
upload_2017-2-13_22-49-26.png

There has never been a 'Power-Off Disconnect' parameter for the Mobius2.
So long there is a battery or a supercap in the camera the last clip will always be saved when you disconnect power, even if 'Power On - Auto Record' is not set.

Apologies for creating a bit of confusion - my post was in the wrong group - I was referring to my Mobius 1.

Apologies for creating a bit of confusion - my post was in the wrong group - I was referring to my Mobius 1.
No problem :)
The good thing is that had you be using an M2 you wouldn't have run into this 'problem' because there isn't (yet?) a setting. The more settings the more flexible, but you then have to be more careful to what parameters you set.

I've already added reference to the setting in the Mobius1 manual, but I can't make any promises to when the updated manual will be available online. It will definitely be integrated into the next version of mSetup.

There has never been a 'Power-Off Disconnect' parameter for the Mobius2.
So long there is a battery or a supercap in the camera the last clip will always be saved when you disconnect power, even if 'Power On - Auto Record' is not set.
So effectively the M2 currently defaults to "immediate" power-off when external power is disconnected?

So effectively the M2 currently defaults to "immediate" power-off when external power is disconnected?

I took the battery out of my M2 and replaced it with the capacitor tonight. Initial testing showed that the camera was not saving the last file properly after disconnecting external power, resulting in a video that could not be viewed. I played around with a few mSetup settings, and found that "Power-Off Standby" needs to be set to "Off" when using the capacitor. Otherwise it appears that the camera tries to go into standby, and runs out of power before saving the last file. It seems obvious in hindsight, however an extra note on the mSetup "power-off standby" tooltip might be worth adding to aid anyone using a capacitor.

I'm glad I tested the M2 at home with the capacitor installed before taking it back out to the car.

and found that "Power-Off Standby" needs to be set to "Off" when using the capacitor.
I installed capacitor this week as my battery died (swollen), and couldn't figure out why the last clip isn't saving. I figured its because the camera doesn't shut off immediately, but there is no setting to make it shutdown right away.
Should really be added to mSetup, manual and everywhere.

may work for the last half second in the mini too...

Back