Dashcam with ability to add cameras

Imanomad2

Reaction score
Country
Australia
G'day

At present we do not have a Dashcam. Our caravan has a rear view camera with all the necessary cabling from it to the dash of the tow vehicle in place. We would like to now get a Dashcam and wanted to know if there are any around that we would be able to connect the rear camera to, preferably to record both front and rear view. Thanks in advance.

The rear view camera you're referring to is most probably a reversing cam, not a dash camera.

How much are you looking to spend for a front and rear camera(s)?

The rear view camera you're referring to is most probably a reversing cam, not a dash camera.

How much are you looking to spend for a front and rear camera(s)?

You are most probably right. So you are saying that even though it may have been put in as a rear view/reversing camera, it cannot be used with a Dashcam?

you could incorporate a analog reversing camera with a analog mobile DVR, but the end result would be close to garbage and for sure not worth 1/3 of the money you would have to spend on such a setup ( trust me, been there done that )

For reversing you need a proper reversing camera with guide lines and distance lines. this will be down low and aimed low so it cover 0 - 2-3 M behind your car.
A rear Dashcam would ideal like front camera be as high up as possible, but this are not as important in the rear as in the front.
This rear dashcam will be aimed much more horizontal and will only cover from 1 M and further out back, and it should have 1080p resolution where reversing cameras can make do and do use the old TV resolutions with around 500 TVL

Good thing like me is to have a rear wiper to keep the window in front of the camera clean, if you have a outside camera you will have to clean off the lens often or make do with the dirt on the lens / footage.

Also if you drive a sedan and have the camera in the window the area directly behind your car will be blocked so i child could easy be hidden in that blind area.

Back