• A119s v2

• A120 /A119 v3

• Xiaoyi yi Dashcam

Results are only viewable after voting.

xkcd0137

Reaction score
Country
India
I am on lookout for my first dashcam purchase. My budget is less than $100. From all the research for past 1 month, I have zeroed down on Viofo a119 v2, and since there is a sale going on at Aliexpress, am planning to order soon. But its sibling, Viofo a119s v2 is creating confusion. Should I go for the Sony Exmor 291 sensor one or the other one. Mind you, buying a119s will be stretch for me. Or instead wait for the a119 v3 or a120 to launch?

http://s.aliexpress.com/MJjaEn6B
$88.84 (GPS+CPL) + $12.99 (HW Kit)= $101.83
http://s.aliexpress.com/UNF7vm2u
$115.59 (GPS + CPL + HW Kit)

Obviously a119s will get firmware updates and its video quality will improve, as will a119 get updates and improve upon its quality. Or it wouldn't?

My main purpose is to record videos of trips to places I plan to visit in future, hence I need the best quality. The safety aspect comes after that. Parking mode will be good too.
At first I was looking for action cam which could also be used as dashcam but lately I have realised that I may have to hike my budget for such requirements or compromise on video quality.

P.S. Is the Xiaoyi Yi Dash Cam comparable to Viofo a119 V2?

Gave you a vote for the A119. I recently picked one up and I find the video quality to be very good. Just going with what I know. It's also my first dashcam.

if video quality for recording your trips is the most important criteria then the A119 would be the better option, the A119S does have better low light capability but the A119 will have the edge during the day

Would action cams (around $100) be better in recording such videos. Asking only since I have mostly seen youtubers to use them.

Also what is the function of GPS module? I could save some money if it isn't of much use.

Would action cams (around $100) be better in recording such videos.

unless it's a model that has a specific car mode then most often the answer would be no

Also what is the function of GPS module? I could save some money if it isn't of much use.

keeps the clock in sync, logs your location data so you can pinpoint your location, logs your speed

After watching many videos comparing the two, I am leaning towards the A119s. It produces better colors and seems more realistic and I expect it to get even better with updates in future.

I am on lookout for my first dashcam purchase. My budget is less than $100. From all the research for past 1 month, I have zeroed down on Viofo a119 v2, and since there is a sale going on at Aliexpress, am planning to order soon. But its sibling, Viofo a119s v2 is creating confusion. Should I go for the Sony Exmor 291 sensor one or the other one. Mind you, buying a119s will be stretch for me. Or instead wait for the a119 v3 or a120 to launch?

http://s.aliexpress.com/MJjaEn6B
$88.84 (GPS+CPL) + $12.99 (HW Kit)= $101.83
http://s.aliexpress.com/UNF7vm2u
$115.59 (GPS + CPL + HW Kit)

Obviously a119s will get firmware updates and its video quality will improve, as will a119 get updates and improve upon its quality. Or it wouldn't?

My main purpose is to record videos of trips to places I plan to visit in future, hence I need the best quality. The safety aspect comes after that. Parking mode will be good too.
At first I was looking for action cam which could also be used as dashcam but lately I have realised that I may have to hike my budget for such requirements or compromise on video quality.

P.S. Is the Xiaoyi Yi Dash Cam comparable to Viofo a119 V2?

If buying a A119S is out of budget then I would suggest that you consider buying the A119. I believe it was rated one of the best in video quality. By the way, you mentioned that you feel the A119S has better colors than the A119, you can always adjust the exposure even on the A119.

You do not need to wait for V3 to come out. I bought the A119 V2 from Amazon few days ago and upgraded it to v3.1 beta just yesterday and it seems to be working flawlessly (The latest version available is V3.3). Plus the v3 version has an excellent parking mode, totally a plus for me.

I wouldn't know if the Yi dash cam is better than Viofo A119 as I haven't gotten a chance to read about the Yi but in my opinion, the A119 is a great buy because of the awesome quality, newly implemented automatic parking mode, and its price.

Thank you for your suggestion.

There is an update. I am planning to stretch my budget for A119s. Only thing I want to know is that if more money I am willing to spend is justified or not and if I wont be losing out on anything compared to A119, and I mean anything i.e. Updates, Support, Day light video quality etc.

a119s with better night vision,a119 with better native day time video quality,and both modules can get support from offical site.

Thank you for your suggestion.

There is an update. I am planning to stretch my budget for A119s. Only thing I want to know is that if more money I am willing to spend is justified or not and if I wont be losing out on anything compared to A119, and I mean anything i.e. Updates, Support, Day light video quality etc.
The only thing you loose out on is the resolution which is higher on the A119 which is good if you want to read licence plates, but if you are using it to "recording your trips" then you probably only want 1080 video anyway and even in daylight the A119s will do better with 1080 video, with the A119 you would either have to resize or crop the video, better to have the native 1080 of the A119s.

A Gitup G3 action camera would be a possibility, and allows you to take it out of the car and continue filming on foot, however if you are using it in India then it is probably too hot in the car on sunny days for any action camera to survive long term.

Sorry, I rarely deal with AliExpress as I live in North America. The shipping times are too long to bare for this side of the world. Although I would be a little concerned that one of the adds shows 96650 instead of 96660.

Update: Ordered Viofo A119s v2 with GPS, CPL and Hardwiring Kit for $113.59

Thanks to fellow members for their inputs.

Back