4k medium or narrow possible?

ActionCamGuy

Reaction score
Country
United States
is 4k medium or narrow possible with any of the firmware hacks / mods? or is it just too much for the processor to handle?

at the very least, seems like the 4k+ should be able to handle it. maybe at 30 fps?

The lens FOV is fixed, 4K uses the whole area of the sensor, a "narrower" FOV is achieved by cropping the projected image onto the sensor. It is only achievable at lower resolutions. Also, the quality of Wide at lower resolutions is always better as the image recorded is downscaled from 4K to 2.7K or 1080p, when you use medium or narrow all you are doing is cropping the 4K image to 2.7K (Medium) and 1080p (Narrow). So Wide 1080p is much better quality (and lower noise) than Narrow 1080p. No software, mod or hack can make your sensor increase its pixel count.

Last edited:
Got it. My old Hero 3 could do 1080p30 in wide OR narrow, but it had an 8 or 12 MP sensor (much larger than 1080p). So for the Yi to do narrow in 4k, it would have to have a 16MP or larger sensor.

I knew about the quality differences, I was just wondering what the bottleneck was.

actually, there is no difference in terms of sensor type btw the 4K and the 4k+: both use the Sony IMX377, which produces an image which is 4032 x 3024px in size (12.2 MP), with a lens having a FOV of 155°.

you need a 3840x2160px image, and this is what you get when using wide setting; when going for medium fov, you crop the more central part of the sensor, which ultimately produce an image which is "slightly" with less horizontal resolution, thus not real 4K (i.e not real 3840x2160p).

I just wonder why, in the new Xiaomi Yi 4k+ at least, Xiaomi did not decide to go for a different Sony sensor, considering there are better sensor with a 16Mpx resolution which could have fit the purpose.....let us hope they soon release a new version of the 4K+ with maybse sensors such as IMX400 or IMX398....

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Yi 4K Action Camera 4
Q Yi 4K Action Camera 3
Back