Oversharpening with FW 2.7

Michael Mangold

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just got my Opia2 from Amazon and it came installed with 2.7. Had heard that a previous version allowed reducing the sharpness, but I don't see that as an option in the menus. Was that ever an option?

Just got my Opia2 from Amazon and it came installed with 2.7. Had heard that a previous version allowed reducing the sharpness, but I don't see that as an option in the menus. Was that ever an option?
Probably FW 2.4 or 2.5( I don't remember which) was the last where we could change it.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

You could on previous version which was either 2.6 or 2.6s(smooth). The new 2.7, which Ive been running a couple weeks now, is only one setting. I never ran any of the "S" versions so I wouldnt be able to tell a difference.

I hope VicoVation reduces the sharpening or allows us to adjust. The 0versharpening is still pretty bad. Here's a clip that shows how bad it can get.

I hope VicoVation reduces the sharpening or allows us to adjust. The 0versharpening is still pretty bad. Here's a clip that shows how bad it can get.

Not sure what exactly Im looking at, looks normal to me. Only thing I would suggest is aiming your cam lower, too much sky.

Not sure what exactly Im looking at, looks normal to me. Only thing I would suggest is aiming your cam lower, too much sky.
Not sure why you'd rather see dashboard. Make sure you're viewing in 1440.

Not sure why you'd rather see dashboard. Make sure you're viewing in 1440.

Im only asking what Im looking for to denote too much sharpness. You want to move your dash cam angle down for two reasons; first, too much sky will blow out the picture. Having more dash in the picture will even out the brightness. Second, your horizontal plane is too high rendering objects to go by with a "bending" fish-eye effect.

You want to shoot for about 60% road/hood/dash and 40% sky. If you have too much bright sky, the camera could/will compensate by adjusting the exposure, creating a darker than desired image.

Interesting. I was going to run some A/B tests since I just installed a CPL. I'll also try some positional tests.

Interesting. I was going to run some A/B tests since I just installed a CPL. I'll also try some positional tests.

The CPL is a great addition, keeps headlight reflections down and makes colors more definitive.

The CPL is a great addition, keeps headlight reflections down and makes colors more definitive.

Agree ... CPL is a must have. The CPL on my VicoVation MF3 is better than the CPL on my VIOFO A119s
$39 v $24 so you'd expect it to be better ... with VIOFO being more of a higher end 'budget' Cam.

Last edited:
Back