Axis F Series 4 channel alternative?

Moisture would be an issue for external cams, but ice and snow could be melted away with a small heating element.

Phil, I believe only a person who doesn't happen to live in a region that experiences heavy snowfall like in northern New England would postulate a solution like that. Imagine getting a foot or more of snow dumped on your vehicle all at once. How long do you think it would take for the camera to melt away enough snow or ice to be functional? You would probably arrive at your destination long before the camera could melt enough snow to see anything and it would take a considerable about of heat and energy to function. Obviously, you could brush away some of the snow but if it is still snowing when you are driving there is little you could so about it. Then there are the days when you go out and find your vehicle covered with a thick layer of ice or frozen snow.

The average amount of yearly snowfall in South Carolina is somewhere around one inch or less in most parts of the state. The average amount of snow in Vermont is anywhere from 44 inches to 85 inches depending on which part of the state you live in. Last year we got over 100 inches. :)

Last edited:
I've been looking over my vehicle and found a good place for the pinhole side view cams. In the crossbar mounts.

So my next step is to see exactly how much room I have to work with inside the mount housing. To do this I'm going to use good'ol children's play dough and smash it into the cavity as I close it. Then I will take measurements then I will take measurements of that pressed play dough.

I will either fix a custom quarter inch or half-inch (whatever is needed) "spacer" OR go to my local 3-D printer shop and have them make 2 (left and right mounts) new housing caps that's extended.

Since I will always keep these crossbars on my car, it will be a permanent fixture. If it turns out well I may consider selling these custom molds to other enthusiasts.

Attachments

• IMG_4699.PNG
    IMG_4699.PNG
    1.4 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4700.PNG
    IMG_4700.PNG
    1.5 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4701.PNG
    IMG_4701.PNG
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
How do you plan to run cables from inside the cab to the outside? Unless you are willing to drill holes in your vehicle an installation like you propose could be challenging.

I'm looking for a 4 cam setup that's very discreet. I want to instal the front facing INSIDE my rear view mirror console.

One of the big selling points is their 90 degree angle sensor/cam I can fix to the inside crossbar of my Thule roof rack. Capturing the exterior view of the side of my car.

Just so you know, 90º FOV is not adequate for proper coverage on a lateral facing camera. A wider angle lens will provide more optimal results.

I would recommend perusing other threads, posts and examples here on DCT related to side facing cameras so you can learn more about the subject before purchasing.

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...a-side-view-dashcam-for-your-car-doors.12675/

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...m-for-your-car-doors.12675/page-9#post-310270

Aah good point. Maybe I should consider the Ultra-wide 194° lens they offer and just put it in the rear, side window like most people do. The "pinholes" they offer are only about Ultra-wide 90°

Here's the 3 main cameras they offer for the F-series:

AXIS F1015
52º - 105º verifocal 1080p

AXIS F1005-E
Wide 113° fixed 1080p

AXIS F1035-E
Fisheye Ultra-wide 194° horizontal fov 1080p

I thought the F1015 verifocal would be cool to fine-tune for the front facing and rear facing...but now I'm wondering if 105º max-view is even enough. And would the 194° be too "fisheye" ...or perfect for covering more area.

Back to the drawing board...

I've decided I'm going to go with my original idea which is mount it all inside my top cargo box. It never comes off my wagon. That way all I have to do is run 12v to the box and voilà! It's a good camera height to boot. And if I don't like it I can always cap the holes and start snaking wires through my car

Attachments

• IMG_4740.PNG
    IMG_4740.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4741.JPG
    IMG_4741.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 6
Back