Motion or continuous?

Anthony Pham

Reaction score
Country
Canada
hi,

I used to have my A118-C hard wired to a fuse where it would only turn on when the car was on.

However when I transferred the dash cam to my new car, I wanted to try something new and hard wire it to a fuse where it's on 24/7.

Things I forgot about is battery drainage, and wear from using it constantly without shutting off.

What are settings I should be using?

Not sure if I should change the fuse I tapped into to one that is only on when the car is on or change to motion detection? I used to just record continuously until I turned off the car but maybe having some surveillance when I'm parked would be nice.. any advice?

You can keep the camera powered using a hardwire kit that features BDP (battery discharge prevention). Preferably one with a customisable low voltage cut-off.

Such kits cut power when the battery's voltage drops to the selected cut-off value.

You can keep the camera powered using a hardwire kit that features BDP (battery discharge prevention). Preferably one with a customisable low voltage cut-off.

Such kits cut power when the battery's voltage drops to the selected cut-off value.

I do believe that I have that kit, I bought it from gear best a while ago... what I'm worried about is draining the life out of the dash cam from using it 24/7. I went at 3am to check up on it and it was warm-hot.

24/7 use isn't recommended and in all likelihood will shorten the camera's life. If you're looking for 24/7 recording, a CCTV camera pointing at the car would be more suitable.

I run my cameras off a Vico Power-Plus when parked outside but that's usually a couple of hours at most.

it'd also shorten the life of the memory card too

I wonder if anyone try connecting it with motion sensor that is usually put in the garage. Intead the light, the dashcam is on when there's something moving around. We can have a 20th century dashcam with motion detection technology :D

I wonder if anyone try connecting it with motion sensor that is usually put in the garage. Intead the light, the dashcam is on when there's something moving around. We can have a 20th century dashcam with motion detection technology :D
Most, if not all, dashcams have that sensor incorporated in them but it turns the camera on only after the motion is detected. If what triggers the sensor doesn't stay in the field of view of the camera, by the time the camera starts recording it's long gone. Pointless and somewhat useless function, if you ask me.

Back