Loop recording question

dnichols

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a wonky question about loop recording. I hope I can be clear on what I'm asking.

My dash cam is set to record in 3 minute segments. When the card gets full, the camera records over the existing files...thus it is loop recording.

Because my camera is hooked up to an ignition switched outlet...whenever I turn off the car...the file being written is closed. Odds are that the file being written at that moment is less than 3 minutes in length. So the reality is that most of the files on my card will be 3 minutes in length, but not all.

Now to my question.

Imagine my card has 5 files on it, and it is full.

Supposed the file "lengths" were as follows:
1) 3 minutes
2) 2 minutes
3) 1 minutes
4) 3 minutes
5) 2 minutes

When the camera loops around and "reuses" files 2, 3 and 5...does it only record again at the same length? Or does it try to record the fill 3 minutes?

I guess what I'm asking is, does loop recording mean the files are reused?
Or are the existing files deleted and replaced (one-by-one) and then the space reused for a different file?

loop size is fixed, not based on what file it was replacing, at any given time there will be enough free space left to deal with starting new files and deleting old ones even if the sizes are different

When a new file is saved, it gains whatever space it needs by deleting the oldest file(s). Thus if a new file is 3 mins length and the oldest file is 2 mins long because of shutdown, then two of the oldest files will be deleted so there is room for the new one ;)

Phil

Now to my question.

Imagine my card has 5 files on it, and it is full.

Supposed the file "lengths" were as follows:
1) 3 minutes
2) 2 minutes
3) 1 minutes
4) 3 minutes
5) 2 minutes

When the camera loops around and "reuses" files 2, 3 and 5...does it only record again at the same length? Or does it try to record the fill 3 minutes?

I guess what I'm asking is, does loop recording mean the files are reused?
Or are the existing files deleted and replaced (one-by-one) and then the space reused for a different file?
When the camera starts overwriting the files it will "understand" the card as being empty, so the answer to your question is: no. The space occupied by the existing files won't be reused with the same length.

When a new file is saved, it gains whatever space it needs by deleting the oldest file(s). Thus if a new file is 3 mins length and the oldest file is 2 mins long because of shutdown, then two of the oldest files will be deleted so there is room for the new one ;)

Phil
That got me thinking about one thing and now it's me who has a question: taking the example @dnichols gave, if the first file to be written after the card is full is, for instance, 1 min in length, does the whole of the old 3 min file gets erased or just 1 min of it? :unsure:
This may sound like an odd question but I've never filled a card before. :D

Last edited:
Complete segments are deleted

Yep, that's what I discovered as I actually tried this myself to see how it worked when I got my first cam :)

Phil

Is there a way to keep a specific video on or record for longer?

Is there a way to keep a specific video on or record for longer?

I believe loop recording will basically write over a memory card once it's filled. With the exception of videos flagged as "saved" due to an event being triggered by G-Sensor or Manually flagging video. Other than that, loop recording will overwrite oldest files to make room for newest.

Only adjustments you can make is to the file length in loop record. Usually setting file to something like 3,5,10 minute lengths. All that does is increase the loop file size and how long a file records before exiting and creating a new one.

If you were to "disable" loop record, then the memory card would become full and no longer be able to write videos.

I believe loop recording will basically write over a memory card once it's filled. With the exception of videos flagged as "saved" due to an event being triggered by G-Sensor or Manually flagging video. Other than that, loop recording will overwrite oldest files to make room for newest.

Only adjustments you can make is to the file length in loop record. Usually setting file to something like 3,5,10 minute lengths. All that does is increase the loop file size and how long a file records before exiting and creating a new one.

If you were to "disable" loop record, then the memory card would become full and no longer be

If you were to "disable" loop record, then the memory card would become full and no longer be able to write videos.

How can I disable loop record? I have a Jansite this doesn’t seem possible on this brand... I have looked through the settings.

I would like to keep one recording of an hour on my dash cam.

How can I disable loop record? I have a Jansite this doesn’t seem possible on this brand... I have looked through the settings.

I would like to keep one recording of an hour on my dash cam.

I'm not familiar with Jansite. Check in the menu settings. But what I was telling you is that if you "COULD" disable, then your camera would STOP recording after memory card is full. Loop records allows new videos to overwrite old videos. If that were turned off, once memory card was full, camera stops recording.

Back