The best free video editor ( An introduction to VideoPad )

I have just tried the free version - all is fine.

Except...

Like WMM and one or two others that are free, when I combine 2 5 minute videos together that follow on from each other the is an obvious "join" where the 2 meet. Is there a way to make the join invisible/seamless or would I need a full version of this or an alternative editing programme?

does your camera have a 1 second overlap?

I wouldn't know. It's a Nextbase 412GW...

I wouldn't know. It's a Nextbase 412GW...

open the files on your PC using media player, VLC etc and watch the end of one file and then compare that to the start of the next file, if the radio is playing the overlap can be more obvious as the second file will have the same audio you just heard in the first second of playback

The video files are 5.01 in length so I suppose it's recording that extra second? (No audio).

The video files are 5.01 in length so I suppose it's recording that extra second? (No audio).

the 1 second extra on the file length is most often used when they do have the overlap although not always, just check the files and you'll know for sure, it's easier when there's audio but you can still see it from the video, particularly if you're moving in traffic at the time

OK, there appears to be an overlap. File A had wiper blades positioned in middle of passing car. File B started before the car reached the point with the wiper blades at the same place.

OK, there appears to be an overlap. File A had wiper blades positioned in middle of passing car. File B started before the car reached the point with the wiper blades at the same place.

ok then you need to export your files and trim the overlap first, you can do this with a lot of editors, can be done easily with Registrator Viewer if you don't have something capable, you can download a copy of the SG9665GC user manual from the support page of our website https://streetguardian.info/support there are instructions in there on how to set the overlap and how to export files, Registrator Viewer is available for download there also

OK jokiin, thank you, I will look into that.

Much appreciate your replies. :)

Paul.

Video pad allows you to trim / cut / or merge the video .. The main restriction to the free version is the codecs you can save the video

It's ideal for dashcam alterations - I don't do any other video editing so need for packages like Roxio etc.

This will be perfect as is.

I use wondershare filmora but as pointed out, the "joins" are down to the cam files not the editing program, my Mivues give seamless joins all the time, my a118c I have to trim the last second off the first file but it's simple enough to do

When i handle SG9665GC footage in my pinnacle studio 20 i just have to chop off 30 frames if i have a pice of footage that spread over 2 of the files created by the camera.

First i zoom in on the time line, then i use the skip function of pinnacle to skip to that overlap place between file #1 and file #2, and then i manually move 30 frames forward, cut the movie and then delete those first 30 frames of file #2.

I always check after that frame by frame in the editor and it seem to be just what it take with that make/ model.

If its a bunch of files then i off course run them thru registrator viewer so i dont have to process so many file segment overlaps manual.

PS. i am sure i could create some "thing" in pinnacle so i dident have to do that every time manual but then just apply that "thing" to the start of each file overlap, but i am not that hardcore a user of my video editing software.
And it is rare i need to process a bunch of files and if i had to i would just run it thru RV first and that would take care of the overlaps and give me one long video clip to do whatever i wish to in another editing software.

Last edited:
I have just tried the free version - all is fine.

Except...

Like WMM and one or two others that are free, when I combine 2 5 minute videos together that follow on from each other the is an obvious "join" where the 2 meet. Is there a way to make the join invisible/seamless or would I need a full version of this or an alternative editing programme?

That might depend on your cameras way of creating the files. some will have a frame of duplication from the end of the previous file to the beginning of the next file. most editors should allow you to compensate for this.

Back