Need advice for overnight anti vandalism camera

bullrider

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a vandalism issue (egging) which I would like to have some chance of getting imagery of. What I'd like is a dash cam that can be set to do time lapse (say a shot every second or so) and shoot a short period of video if motion or something else detectable occurs. I saw a very cheap webcam (a model 903) which seems to have that ability but I've seen so many negative comments on its reliability I am not sure it would be worthwhile. On the other hand I don't have a whole lot of money to spend. Is there a model that can do what I need that doesn't cost a bunch?

First of all you got to have a fair amount of light where your car are parked, and since its eggin ( not a known thing here in Denmark ) then i assume it are done from some distance.

And dashcams are not really the best for things at a distance as they have a wide angle lens that make things appear in the footage as it they are even longer away.
If its at night and people are 20 feet or so away ( 3-4 car lengths ) then you will not be able to use the footage for much unless one of the punks wear some bright clothes that's easy to recognize.

I had my cars vandalized 2 times after i moved here, first suv got keyed along one side days before i sold it, making me have to take a dive on prize, my new car then got the Right front door window broken for no reason ( nothing stolen )
So now i park in the pitch black back yard behind the apartment block and have a 1080p IP camera on the car all the tile ( IR light aided when dark )

And still i have gotten my car vandalized again, but this time a D cell battery was thrown high in the air and then hitting the roof on my car making a dent.

Only noticed that after a few days where i was ???? why is that battery lying there ( dent on back Left corner of my roof ) but i finally saw dent and added up 2 + 2

But this arnt really on any footage , at least not the battery getting thrown as i am zoomed in pretty tight on the car where its parked.

A IP camera with some zoom, and a 4 channel NVR recorder + a harddrive are not cheap, but in this case the only useful solution.

A dashcam can give you some coverage here but they are neither designed for the purpose nor ideal for it. To better assist you we need to know more ;)
Is there good light where you park? Do you know which approach and exit routes the vandals use and can you briefly describe those? How long is the car parked there unattended?

There are several good possibilities but this will need to be tailored to your situation to be even somewhat effective, and even then there are no assurances which can be given that you'll get good enough pics to identify them but you can try and we're here to help you if we can :D

And welcome to DCT :D
Phil

Try the Ring flood light, it may do what you're asking for.

And still i have gotten my car vandalized again, but this time a D cell battery was thrown high in the air and then hitting the roof on my car making a dent.

Only noticed that after a few days where i was ???? why is that battery lying there ( dent on back Left corner of my roof ) but i finally saw dent and added up 2 + 2

But this arnt really on any footage , at least not the battery getting thrown as i am zoomed in pretty tight on the car where its parked.

A IP camera with some zoom, and a 4 channel NVR recorder + a harddrive are not cheap, but in this case the only useful solution.

I'm sorry to know that. Did you call the police?

Thanks for the welcome. I figured you fine folks would have the best possible perspective. This may not be quite as hard as it sounds. First, I can park my vehicle within about 20 feet of the street, in my driveway and facing toward the street. There are street lights maybe 80-100 feet up and down the street from my driveway but none right by it, so there is a small amount of light plus ambient light from lights in homes, the moon, whatever. My biggest hope is to identify what kind of car the vandals are driving. I am pretty sure they live up my street and if I can see if they've got a Dodge Neon or a Chevy Cavalier or a Honda Civic, whatever model (color would be a bonus) I know who they are. Not that I am going to call the police or take them to court but I do want to know who's doing it, if possible, and I can likely identify them by the type of car they are driving.
Try the Ring flood light, it may do what you're asking for.
Thanks for the suggestion, I will look that up and find out more about it. I am also thinking possibly a good cam inside my house would be able to get enough details of a car out front to find out what kind of car it is and help me identify my vandal.

I'm sorry to know that. Did you call the police?

No Danish police dont have time for such mundane things, that's why i have the camera so i can be judge and jury myself.
Not good or something i like, but the sadly that's the society i have helped building by voting for the wrong people ( aint no right people to vote for here )

Darn, in the US, just carry the gun and nobody ain't mess with you

I goy my Dundee kit ready, but where my country are going i will be the guy bringing a knife to a gun fight.
blade_big_thumb.jpg

Tho i do lack the crock teeth for my hat, and the jacket too, and i have not worn had a pair of boots like that since i was 12
And if it get down to size i can borrow my friends, its 4 inch larger than mine and 2 X as thick ( 10 mm ) and heavy, damn thing almost break ones wrist if you dont hit what you swing at.

Darn, in the US, just carry the gun and nobody ain't mess with you

I can't imagine living in a country where people are so scared of each other they feel they have to carry a gun around with them.

I can't imagine living in a country where people are so scared of each other they feel they have to carry a gun around with them.
It's not that way. Don't believe everything you see in the media - especially that which is presented by fringe elements or radicals.

keep in mind he's from the UK, even the regular police don't have guns
I'm aware of both those. It's irritating the, erroneous, perception people have of the US being an armed society with daily shootings taking place on every street corner.

Of all the people I know only 3 own handguns - 2 are LEO's and the 3rd is a competition shooter. I only know of one person who's been shot or shot someone, and that with with a hunting rifle during a home break in. Neither of the 2 LEO's has ever fired their weapon except at the range or demonstrations.

And, believe it or not, we do not have Indians (Native Americans) raiding farmhouses and stealing the women and children. ;)

I'm aware of both those. It's irritating the, erroneous, perception people have of the US being an armed society with daily shootings taking place on every street corner.

I think in just about any country there'd be places where you wouldn't want to hang around, particularly at night, I know there are parts of Sydney I wouldn't go after dark

I think in just about any country there'd be places where you wouldn't want to hang around, particularly at night, I know there are parts of Sydney I wouldn't go after dark
And, I'm sure, in London as well.

@bullrider -
Sorry we've gone off-topic so far so fast, be we are prone to do that here sometimes :rolleyes: I was too busy last night to respond :(

Cams with the Sony Exmor sensors will do OK in the lighting you describe. There are several good cams with these, and the A119S us a good value though I don't know if it does time-lapse pics. The Git1 action cam may be another good choice though it uses a LiPo battery which won't do well in the hotter climates; I'm pretty sure it does time-lapse. Coupled with one or two home security cams that should be enough to do what you're looking to accomplish here.

Phil

@bullrider -
Sorry we've gone off-topic so far so fast, be we are prone to do that here sometimes :rolleyes: I was too busy last night to respond :(

Cams with the Sony Exmor sensors will do OK in the lighting you describe. There are several good cams with these, and the A119S us a good value though I don't know if it does time-lapse pics. The Git1 action cam may be another good choice though it uses a LiPo battery which won't do well in the hotter climates; I'm pretty sure it does time-lapse. Coupled with one or two home security cams that should be enough to do what you're looking to accomplish here.

Phil
+1

Back