Vandalism again - Small, night vision, powerbank cam, mobius?

notfub

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Thinkware F750 + Cellink B, F200 Pro + IVolt BAB-50
My son has a BlackSys CF-100 in his car already but he's having problems with a neighbour (we think) that is keying his car down the side (happened twice in last few weeks & not captured at all). The car is parked around the corner from his house so CCTV isn't an option unfortunately.

I'm thinking of using some small cams that can be temporarily mounted on the A or B pillars inside the car that can be run off power banks, perhaps one either side.

The cams need to be good in dark/low light conditions, with good enough image quality to at least pick up something to identify someone etc. Ideally motion detection functionality to keep the recordings manageable on say a 32gb or 64gb card. Where the car is parked, there is limited street lighting due to the large hedge that runs along the road near the pavement.

I've currently got a single powerbank powered mobius covering one side of the car, perhaps the best option out there? I've seen the cheap SQ8 Mini DV and Quelima SQ11 Mini Camera's that claim to have some form of night vision and motion detection but these cannot be powered externally (and don't have battery power to last overnight, let alone a few days).

Any thoughts, suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Dean

Forget motion detect if there's not much light, you'll miss stuff, forget the cheap cams you mentioned also, the Mobius will outdo those without any extra lighting anyway

Mobius with large memory card and leave it recording is perhaps your best low cost option

Thanks for the quick reply and advice Jokiin. :)

I wonder if a solar powered security light in the car that turns on when somebody is near would be a deterrent, also?
Something you could put temporarily on the dash, back deck of the car?
Thinking of this shape....

Albrillo-Bright-38-LED-Solar-Powered-Wireless-Security-Light-Motion-Sensor-Lamp-Waterproof-Outdoor-Lighting-0-6.jpg

Most have a few settings, always on at night, on dim at night/bright when motion detected, or only on bright when motion detected.

Wouldn't have to mount them permanently, just have in the car somewhere near windows.

is there only his car parked there or does he have a partner who could park behind his car? if someone he knows could park behind it might be better for the cam to be in that car, getting his entire car and it's surroundings in shot

I love the little Mobius but TBH it just doesn't cut it at night. A cheaper option with better night-time performance is the G1W-S. The form factor may present a problem though. My Mobius C2 can hardly see a person 20 ft away in the dark, but the G1Ws shows them well along with some details. I know this because I've ran both where I park at night- the Sony Exmor sensor makes all the difference in the world. If you need a small form-factor the WR-1 may be a good choice as it has the Sony sensor. Haven't had time to try it where I park yet but based on what I've seen from others it will probably do a little better than the G1W-S. I'm certain u will at last be it's equal.

Phil

An obvious question is, does the car only get attacked in front of/near a certain house?
Some people are very possessive of "their" parking space.

I like the solar-powered light idea, might even act to deter thieves. Do PIR sensors work through glass?

A PIR-sensor is a thermal infrared sensor, that needs to be in "direct contact" with the element to be able to register movement. That means that glass is a barrier and i don't believe i've ever seen a PIR that works even with a tiny sheet of glass between it and a passing by person.

Back