Dash cam as a parking aid? Like reverse bumper cam

sleepyguy

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Can a forward facing dash cam be used for a bumper camera while parking?

I drive a large F350 and would really like it if I could see clearly how close I am to the wall or anything out of sight. With a reverse camera I can park 1" away from a wall without worry as the camera has me covered. Not so much with the front of my truck.

Dash cams are mounted near the rear view mirror thus have better line of site downward as compared to me in my seat. That is what I am hoping anyways.

Any feedback? Ideas?

I don't believe what you want to accomplish is practical using a dash cam, especially on a big truck like an F350. You wouldn't be able to see the front bumper. I think you would be better off installing an aftermarket back-up camera in your front grill.

Last edited:
in your situation, I think I'd opt for some radar parking sensors instead. they can be installed pretty neatly if you take your time. the problem with an aftermarket camera up front is that you'll need to install an additional LCD in your cabin (don't know of any OEM headunits that will accept an additional camera) and you'll need to install the camera where it will show the edge of the bumper which may be impossible for the front end. I do like some of the factory implementations of front cameras where it's integrated into the emblem or grill, though.

in your situation, I think I'd opt for some radar parking sensors instead. they can be installed pretty neatly if you take your time. the problem with an aftermarket camera up front is that you'll need to install an additional LCD in your cabin (don't know of any OEM headunits that will accept an additional camera) and you'll need to install the camera where it will show the edge of the bumper which may be impossible for the front end. I do like some of the factory implementations of front cameras where it's integrated into the emblem or grill, though.

That's a cool solution. I didn't know you could buy a system like that for such a reasonable price.

Can a forward facing dash cam be used for a bumper camera while parking?

I drive a large F350 and would really like it if I could see clearly how close I am to the wall or anything out of sight. With a reverse camera I can park 1" away from a wall without worry as the camera has me covered. Not so much with the front of my truck.

Dash cams are mounted near the rear view mirror thus have better line of site downward as compared to me in my seat. That is what I am hoping anyways.

Any feedback? Ideas?

if you have a rear parking cam you can add a front cam and auto switch unit for front cam, reverse takes priority, when you take it out of reverse it auto switches to front cam, front cam can be manually switched anytime also, brief demo of that here

if you have a rear parking cam you can add a front cam and auto switch unit for front cam, reverse takes priority, when you take it out of reverse it auto switches to front cam, front cam can be manually switched anytime also, brief demo of that here

that'll work with aftermarket headunits and LCDs with 2x video inputs but not likely on OEM systems. @sleepyguy, is your headunit OEM or aftermarket?

that'll work with aftermarket headunits and LCDs with 2x video inputs but not likely on OEM systems. @sleepyguy, is your headunit OEM or aftermarket?

it only uses a single video input on the headunit, there is a switchbox that takes the two individual video feeds that does the front/rear auto switching and feeds the single video feed of that to the headunit, it is designed so that you can add a front camera to an existing reverse cam system

Do you have manufacture details on this device?

Adding to the OEM is not possible due to the wiring harness is designed for each truck trim level (inputs are fixed). Had I known from the start I could have purchased the 360 camera option for the truck and requested a custom build.

My goal is something clean. No additional screens or mess. A radar sensor would work fine and just use audio as my cue. Mounting could be as simple as using the front licens plate. The truck has up fitter switches and many powering options. Assuming it would work with my factory screen a switch to turn it on would work.

Back