A119S V2 startup time

Vince33

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
It's very important for me that a dashcam starts recording as fast as possible when I start my car. I know about dashcams (read somewhere that the A119 does that) that can take like 10 seconds or more before they actually start recording.
Well within 10seconds I'm already at the end of the street and a lot could have happened.

So my question is (as I'm looking for the next dashcam after the opia2 (which is quite expensive) how long does it really take before the A119S V2 starts recording after it get power?

I have a VIOFO A119S, V2, 7G F1.6 Lens, Sony IMX291 Sensor, GPS, CPL filter, Firmware 2017.6.22 V1.7.
When I plugged it in It booted up in 9 seconds and not a problem for me.
The excellent performance of this unit far out ways a slight delay of 9-10 seconds to boot up.
When you hear that little chime that's the sound of progress, enjoy it.

Firmware 2.1 is now available on viofo.com

Thanks for bringing it up.
However, I'm very happy the way my unit is working and if it isn't broke I don't fix it.
"If" I ever have a problem with my unit I'll give it serious consideration.
You do a great job on this forum.
I found your youtube video installing EVA Foam Pad very helpful and I thank you for that..

The most important fix is it keeps the XXXX startup freeze from happening. (memory leak bug they finally isolated) You could miss out on a recording not knowing it didn't startup in the future. You're taking a chance if you don't update proactively. I think it's important.

The most important fix is it keeps the XXXX startup freeze from happening. (memory leak bug they finally isolated) You could miss out on a recording not knowing it didn't startup in the future. You're taking a chance if you don't update proactively. I think it's important.
I don't move the car until I see the screen and hear the chimes.
Thanks for the heads up.

I know if it ain't broke don't fix it etc, but I'd update to 2.1. It's nearly impossible to brick a Novatek dashcam via firmware update. (I've yet to do it) Safe

joklin and OCD Tronic
You fellows have far more knowledge and experience with the Viofo A119S than I so your comments are very valid.
Here is my routine with my unit so far.
I installed my A119S Tue, Aug. 29th and it has been used every day (this is day 20) and includes one 6 ½ hr trip and three 4 hr trips.
It has performed as expected and all subsequent images are reviewed in my PC prior to formatting again.
I check my micro sd card once a month or prior to a trip.
I upload the images from my Micro sd card to my PC with PhotoShop in numerical order thusly:
2017_0829_174539_001.MP4, 2017_0829_175040_002.MP4, etc.
If all is ok the micro sd card is inserted in the camera and formatted.
I’m purchasing a second micro sd card by Wed. so I can alternate them and extend the life of the micro sd cards.
i think one of the reasons I've had good luck is I inserted the micro sd card "before" I turned it on and
formatted immediately, then did the Menu. Further, I analyzed the 29 menu items before I received the unit and laid out a plan to
implement them and I have stuck with it. The camera stays put, unless I have to clean the lens or filter.
I'll just check the micro sd card and format cards, that's it.
This was my routine when I used my C1W-C for 3 years and I never had any problems.
UPDATE - I purchased a second micro series card so now I can rotate them and always have a micro series card in the A119S.

Last edited:
Hate to say I had a lot of occurrences of the XXXX bug with 2.1. It seemed to be related to entering a value for the licence plate; once I did not enter a value the XXXX issue stopped.

I'll probably try re+adding that value this week and see if corruption happens again.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I know if it ain't broke don't fix it etc, but I'd update to 2.1. It's nearly impossible to brick a Novatek dashcam via firmware update. (I've yet to do it) Safe
As you can tell I have a huge amount of confidence in this A119S.
It's so good and I'm very happy that I bought it.
I maybe just plain lucky, we'll see.
If I'm wrong you guys can tell me "told you so"

Hate to say I had a lot of occurrences of the XXXX bug with 2.1. It seemed to be related to entering a value for the licence plate; once I did not enter a value the XXXX issue stopped.

I'll probably try re+adding that value this week and see if corruption happens again.

I have 4 letters and 3 numbers in my license plate and Custom Text is off with no problems.
I was a bit surprised because it stated there was only 6 characters allowed for this space.
I wonder if Custom Text is off will that enable you to enter your license plate.
Just a thought.

Last edited:
I have 4 letters and 3 numbers in my license plate and Custom Text is off with no problems.
I was a bit surprised because it stated there was only 6 characters allowed for this space.
I wonder if Custom Text is off will that enable you to enter your license plate.
Just a thought.
I did not have custom text but my plate is 4 letters / 3 numbers and I think I had a space or hyphen between the two groups.

I see my topic is used for other topics as well, that's ok :) and so I will also ask another question (BTW I ordered the A119S from amazon.de yesterday!):
Which brand/type SD card works best with the A119S?
Would this be ok?
https://www.dataio.nl/transcend-64gb-microsdxc-300x-uhs-i-premium-class-10/

The website itself has a filter for dashcam cards: https://www.dataio.nl/transcend-64gb-microsd-class-10-dashcam-en-ip-cam/
but I wonder if it's really needed (yeah maybe if it needs to survive extreme cold/heat, but that's not the case in The Netherlands).

Thanks for any advice.

I did not have custom text but my plate is 4 letters / 3 numbers and I think I had a space or hyphen between the two groups.

Oops, my fault, I have V1.7 and you have the 2.1.
I didn't know the Custom Text was dropped from 2.1
I didn't have a space or hyphen between the 2 groups.
I wonder if they have restricted the number of slots for the plate info. ie: 6 instead of 7

I see my topic is used for other topics as well, that's ok :) and so I will also ask another question (BTW I ordered the A119S from amazon.de yesterday!):
Which brand/type SD card works best with the A119S?
Would this be ok?
https://www.dataio.nl/transcend-64gb-microsdxc-300x-uhs-i-premium-class-10/

The website itself has a filter for dashcam cards: https://www.dataio.nl/transcend-64gb-microsd-class-10-dashcam-en-ip-cam/
but I wonder if it's really needed (yeah maybe if it needs to survive extreme cold/heat, but that's not the case in The Netherlands).

Thanks for any advice.

I'm not the brightest light in this room but I'll do my best to stay on topic.
I have never heard of a better micro sd card than Transcend and I hope it works well for you.

I'm using a Kingston Gold Model SDA10/32GBCR, 32GB Micro SD Card Class 10 , FAT32,
Performance 90MB/s read and 45MB/s write, 4K Ultra HD, UHS-I Speed Class 3 (U3), Made in Taiwan.
It's designed to withstand extreme high and low temperatures and I like the FAT32 feature.
I bought a second card yesterday so I can rotate them and also extend their life.
I've used my A119S every day for 3 weeks now and all is well.

Enjoy your new A119S.

Last edited:
Oops, my fault, I have V1.7 and you have the 2.1.
I didn't know the Custom Text was dropped from 2.1
I didn't have a space or hyphen between the 2 groups.
I wonder if they have restricted the number of slots for the plate info. ie: 6 instead of 7
I meant I did not enter any custom text; I'm sure the option is still there

Back