Tech question. Video compression is H.264, what controls/dictates the video compression that will be used? Could H.264+ have been used? Maybe it requires higher processing power to support that compression?

The mobius 2 support H.265, but i think it boil down to support in the chipset used, and weather people will implement it as it is more taxing on the playback device to handle.

I remember when i got the M2 i was house-sitting and only computer was my little sisters dualcore laptop, and it just collapsed if i tried to play a H.265 file on it.
My quadcore computer here at home seem to handle it okay, but i have not yet tried to do post processing on H.265, but i recon i will get a chance to do that soon when i get the latest M2 firmware.

I am not sure if H.265 are in the heart inside the DC, it could be it is there but SG just made a decision not to use it, i dunno i am guessing here.

I hope SG does not move to H.265 for quite some time.

Here is a snippet from a medium.com Jun 8, 2016 article:
Even though HEVC is already finalized, it is still not popular. Apart from the fact that the codec is patented by various parties and it is associated with high licensing fees, HEVC/H.265 comes with the trade-off requiring almost 10x more computing power. This new technology is on standby until the hardware market adapts to it, as it happened already with H.264, launched in 2003 but only gaining popularity a few years later.
Even though my home system is only 5 years old, it requires 3 hours to process 45 minutes of H.265 video. Viewing it is not a problem, its the post processing of it that even the i7 quad I have takes forever.

Yeah i am sure my GEN 1 core I7 will choke on it, but to be fair the 1 hour H.264 videos i processed ( speed up to last 10 - 12 minutes ) did take a long time for my software to go thru too.

It took me about 2 weeks to output those 9 hours of driving into 9 X 10 minute videos, not least as my pinnacle studio 20 ultimate crashed again and again.

I really really hope to be able to build a new 8 / 16 core computer in 2018, so much so i might even borrow money in the bank to build it.

no intention to update anytime soon, the world is still full of too many computers that can't play the files back without stuttering

As I've mentioned elsewhere, if you should have to provide a copy of your original video to law enforcement, courts, insurance companies and attorneys there are many, many people who won't even know what the term H.265 means much less have an up-to-date computer with the proper software. They will only know that they can't view your video.

As I've mentioned elsewhere, if you should have to provide a copy of your original video to law enforcement, courts, insurance companies and attorneys there are many, many people who won't even know what the term H.265 means much less have an up-to-date computer with the proper software. They will only know that they can't view your video.

the same reason we're in no rush to go bigger than 1080p, aside from the low light performance which I'm sure will improve there's still issues with playback of the files, enthusiasts sometimes forget that regular people aren't as tech savvy, don't always have the latest hardware etc and you alienate a great deal of users by being too cutting edge sometimes

Im still using a dell pentium 4 on the desktop. My video card has more ram than the computer. Playback of regular dashcam video cant be done with anything on in the background. Editing? No chance....

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

enthusiasts sometimes forget that regular people aren't as tech savvy, don't always have the latest hardware etc and you alienate a great deal of users by being too cutting edge sometimes

This exactly a thousand times over. One must always keep in mind the big picture of everything and not exceed what the average user can deal with ;) The IT world seems to have lost sight of this principle ages ago and expects that everyone else is like them when we most definitely are not. Time has shown well that almost everybody prefers simple and effective over anything which takes more time, effort, or money to use even when the latter is provably better. Give the people what they want, not what you want them to have :cool:

Phil

I hope SG does not move to H.265 for quite some time.

Here is a snippet from a medium.com Jun 8, 2016 article:

Even though my home system is only 5 years old, it requires 3 hours to process 45 minutes of H.265 video. Viewing it is not a problem, its the post processing of it that even the i7 quad I have takes forever.
Nobody will move to H265!

AV1 with it's free licensing is going to be introduced from January next year with Youtube, Google, Netflix etc starting to use it immediately so it will find its way onto most PCs and other internet browsers over the next year and the chip manufacturers will put hardware AV1 encoding into new camera chips soon after. With better quality and 20% higher compression than H265 and free licensing there will be no good reason to use H265.

You will need a faster computer for that post processing though!

Reactions: Mtz
Maybe with pressure from other formats H.265 will be set free too. not much sense in having a format that is sort of working but no one want to use as there are just as good alternatives out there.

I didn't feel like digging through 80 pages, so I will just ask:

Where is the SG9663DC available for pre-order?

I didn't feel like digging through 80 pages, so I will just ask:

Where is the SG9663DC available for pre-order?

only on the US site, we haven't done pre orders on any other site and will just start sales once they physically arrive, we got pushed back a bit already due to one supplier that didn't deliver on time much has mucked with our schedule and there's a holiday coming in China which traditionally makes freight a nightmare so it's very hard to pin an exact date on things right now

Maybe with pressure from other formats H.265 will be set free too. not much sense in having a format that is sort of working but no one want to use as there are just as good alternatives out there.
Even if H265 is set free, which seems an impossibility with so many different patent owners, it wont help much because the AV1 team is targeting 20% better compression than H265 and so there will be no incentive to use H265 unless it is improved which it can't be because it is already in use by a few people! The Av1 group has support from almost everyone important, Google, Youtube, Microsoft, and also chip designers like ARM for the hardware encoding. AV1 will enter widespread use starting January because Youtube and Netflix can reduce their internet server bandwidth requirement by $billions, everyone else will follow, probably wont see any new cameras including it until the year after though so for the next couple of years our dashcams will continue with H264.

What is the price going to be when it hits Amazon, and what accessories will be included?

What is the price going to be when it hits Amazon, and what accessories will be included?

Same price and memory card bundles as our new .CAM USA main web site. Specialized DC Hard wire kit and additional alternative setup options will come later.

Same price and memory card bundles as our new .CAM USA main web site. Specialized DC Hard wire kit and additional alternative setup options will come later.
Aha! I now see the "SHOP" tab at the top of the page. I kept looking for it under the "PRODUCTS" and "WHERE TO BUY" tabs.

Aha! I now see the "SHOP" tab at the top of the page. I kept looking for it under the "PRODUCTS" and "WHERE TO BUY" tabs.

We might need to rework that a bit thanks for the feedback.

Last edited:
only on the US site, we haven't done pre orders on any other site and will just start sales once they physically arrive, we got pushed back a bit already due to one supplier that didn't deliver on time much has mucked with our schedule and there's a holiday coming in China which traditionally makes freight a nightmare so it's very hard to pin an exact date on things right now

Lucky I bought 5x SG9665GC's & 1x SGZC12RC late last year when the SG9663DC was rumored to be released last Christmas.

I told other people on the forum to buy the 9665GC V2 immediately and to pass onto family members when the StreetGuardian dual cam comes out, but they didn't listen.

I wonder how those people managed pinning their hopes on the DC dual channel dash cam all that time???

Back