A119 - Format Card Message

dnichols

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have an A119 V2 with a Lexar High-Performance microSDHC 633x 32GB
Loop record set on with file size 3 minutes
Reformat message set to 30 days

The camera has been in the car and working fine for about two weeks.
This afternoon, the camera took extra ling to power up.
Finally the screen came on, no alarm, but blue screen message stating "Reformat Card"

I went into the menu and reformatted the card...camera now appears to be working again.

I'm trying to understand why I got the message in the first place.

Any ideas?

Lexar 633x cards seem to be hit or miss as of late. Did you format the card in the camera when you first started using it?

Lexar 633x cards seem to be hit or miss as of late. Did you format the card in the camera when you first started using it?

Yes. Formatted with the camera. Several times in fact.
I'm happy toi try a different card brand, but I'm wondering why it would work fine for two weeks before glitching out.
It's only happened once so far, so maybe a small issue.

I plan to upgrade to the lats firmware (I believe 3.1 is now out) and see.

the format reminder is based on time, the camera will still prompt you to format if it sees an error on the card

the format reminder is based on time, the camera will still prompt you to format if it sees an error on the card

Very clever........ And not all prompts need executing somtimes

I updated the camera's firmware to V3.1, and reformatted the card (via the camera). Worked for 1 day, then received the same "Format Card" message.
Several posts talk about problems with the Lexar 633x, so I just placed an order for some Transcend Ultimate 633x cards (32 GB MicroSDHC Class 10 UHS-I/U3)

Hopefully, that works.

Otherwise...any ideas?

So it will request a format even if you turn off that functionality? Because mine kept asking for a format even after formatting it would disappear for a while and come back. I turned off the reminder and for a while it was fine and then all of a sudden it came back. I would pass over it and then it would disappear and come back - no set time. I have replaced the sd card recently and still it pops up. I recently noticed that some of the videos were corrupt - windows media player would not play them. I had put it down to perhaps the camera was overheating because there was a period when it power cycled because it was too hot. Now I am not so sure. May have to look into buying a new sdcard to be sure.

So it will request a format even if you turn off that functionality? Because mine kept asking for a format even after formatting it would disappear for a while and come back. I turned off the reminder and for a while it was fine and then all of a sudden it came back. I would pass over it and then it would disappear and come back - no set time. I have replaced the sd card recently and still it pops up. I recently noticed that some of the videos were corrupt - windows media player would not play them. I had put it down to perhaps the camera was overheating because there was a period when it power cycled because it was too hot. Now I am not so sure. May have to look into buying a new sdcard to be sure.

It turned out to be a problem with SD cards. I was using Lexar 633x cards (which several people have reported issues on). I switched over to Transcend Ultimate 633x and haven't seen the issue since.

Sounds about right, avoid Lexar these days for sure. Can't go wrong with Transcend High Endurance or Samsung EVO U3 cards.

V1 or V2 model? Are you using the GPS mount to power through (if it's a V1)?

It turned out to be a problem with SD cards. I was using Lexar 633x cards (which several people have reported issues on). I switched over to Transcend Ultimate 633x and haven't seen the issue since.
Thats a pricey card no? Whats the recommended ones for the a119? I have been using Kingston 32GB Class 10.

Last edited:
Back