BMW Advanced Camera Eye

StephenSp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

New to the forum. I have a BMW Dashcam, the so-called Advanced Camera Eye. Is anyone familiar with this? (although I am pretty sure it's just a badged/OEM version of another dashcam, I doubt it's specially developed by BMW).
A couple of questions (which I have asked of my dealer but they are unable to answer):

(1) All works fine for the forward camera. And I can view the rear view on the dashcam - kind of picture in picture, which shows the rear and forward view. However the rear view doesn't seem to get recorded on the memory card. Any advice on how to get the rear view recorded? There is def a wire going from the unit to the rear camera - when I pull this out the light on the rear camera goes off. The instruction manual doesn't help either
(2) It doesn't seem to recognise 64 GB micro SDHC cards. I see elsewhere on this forum that dashcams are a bit hit & mis wrt memory cards, due to firmware issues. Is this the issue here? OR is there a way to get 64GB cards to work with this dashcam? Is is this a limitation of this particular dashcam?

For those interested, here is some example footage from this dashcam - it's mounted at the top of the front window on the passenger side (left side in UK) - I caught a crash last month:

Can you find a firmware version listed on the cam menu? That might give a clue as to which cam this is. Some cams won't accept cards larger than 32GB, if you have a smaller card try it.

Thanks for bringing us a new cam to look at and welcome to DCT :D
Phil

the files are likely recorded as two streams in the one file, what format are the files, AVI, MP4, MOV etc?

the camera will come from a Korean supplier, not sure which one though

I hope the raw footage is better than the youtube compressed version

Can you find a firmware version listed on the cam menu? That might give a clue as to which cam this is. Some cams won't accept cards larger than 32GB, if you have a smaller card try it.

Thanks for bringing us a new cam to look at and welcome to DCT :D
Phil

Thanks - will check firmware version and let you know

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I hope the raw footage is better than the youtube compressed version

Yes raw footage is better but not as good as I'd expect to be honest (comparing it to a ski headcam for example) - I think it's .avi files which are not supported on my mac so I had to conver t to MP4 and then edit - each stage compressed the video

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back