A119S Firmware v2.1

One of my A119S V1 after upgrading to V2.1, part of screen looks garbled up with XXXXXX, saying to format memory card (Lexar 128GB). I couldn't access the menu to format it, nothing worked. I had to use an 8GB and reupdate to V2.1, then swapped the 128GB back and this time I was able to format.

I think mine is on its way out :(
Updating to this firmware and it wont let me in the menu, menu button takes a pic !
Trying to roll back but my camera is not restarting beyond the viofo logo on several firmwares.

Updating to this firmware and it wont let me in the menu, menu button takes a pic !
Trying to roll back but my camera is not restarting beyond the viofo logo on several firmwares.

Try a different microsd card and flash firmware again.

You need to stop the recording before you can enter the menu. Pressing the menu button while recording will take a picture. This is normal.

No good guys, its not a firmware or SD card issue.
I managed to get 2.1 on, then powered up without SD card to set menu.
Put in SD card and it worked. Turned it off and re started next time not passing the viofo logo.
Regardless of card in or out or firmware version, it will hang on viofo logo more times than not.
Sending my 3-4 month old unit back, hoping another make has a similar sized shape unit with better reliability, as this one suited my needs for discreet.

Put in SD card and it worked. Turned it off and re started next time not passing the viofo logo.
Regardless of card in or out or firmware version, it will hang on viofo logo more times than not.
Sending my 3-4 month old unit back, hoping another make has a similar sized shape unit with better reliability, as this one suited my needs for discreet.
I would reload the firmware. Be sure to manually default the cameras settings in the menu after the update. If this does not work, it's possible the ribbon cable to the sensor isn't properly seated.

Thanks CaptureYourAction, it would appear to be a problem with the ribbon cable or connections.
swivelling the camera lens will cause a working start to freeze, and occasionally a frozen start to work.
Unfortunately when I looked on amazon UK it say my time for return has passed, despite the order being in May, and I can't find a way to contact them.
The seller was Boblov and the item was stocked by Amazon so no idea how to go about a return :(

This leaves me with the choice of buy the same again (and TBH the failure does not instil confidence in the brand) or find a suitable replacement.
I found a Toguard CE20 and an Anker ROAV that seem OK but I cant find much about the makes on these forums.
Or spend a chunk more cash on a 2017 Street Guardian SG9665gcV3 or Roadhawk Vision.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Street-Gua...rds=dash+cam&refinements=p_89:Street+Guardian

did you buy your A119 locally or out of China?

Edit, sorry just re read that, contact them and see how you go, it's probably a one off and a replacement may well sort things out without you having to spend more money

Thanks CaptureYourAction, it would appear to be a problem with the ribbon cable or connections.
swivelling the camera lens will cause a working start to freeze, and occasionally a frozen start to work.
Unfortunately when I looked on amazon UK it say my time for return has passed, despite the order being in May, and I can't find a way to contact them.
The seller was Boblov and the item was stocked by Amazon so no idea how to go about a return :(

This leaves me with the choice of buy the same again (and TBH the failure does not instil confidence in the brand) or find a suitable replacement.
I found a Toguard CE20 and an Anker ROAV that seem OK but I cant find much about the makes on these forums.
Or spend a chunk more cash on a 2017 Street Guardian SG9665gcV3 or Roadhawk Vision.
If they won't replace it, it's very easy to open the camera and re-seat the ribbon cable (if that's the issue). If you end up opening it, be sure to remove the back slowly and hold the lens assembly as there is a spring in there that could pop out. FYI, opening the unit could void you warranty.

Ok guys, once I found the hidden Amazon contact details, they have agreed to refund on receipt of camera.
I ordered another A119s V2 (from Amazon but a different seller) in the hope this was not a common problem, as otherwise it does the job. I will put firmware 2.1 on as soon as I get it, if the new one goes wrong then I will return for refund and swap to a different make.

Which memory card are you using? My A119/A119S frequently hanging on Viofo logo during boot for about 30-40 seconds was attributed to a memory card, swapping to different card solved the issue. In my case Samsung Evo cards turned out as the most reliable.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

It wasn't a memory card issue, it was a faulty unit as it would react to rotating the lense, when CaptureYourAction mentioned about the ribbon cable a lightbulb went on in my head !
But as a matter of course, a few months back I swapped out my memory card for the Transcend which has been recommended for this camera.
I previously had a Kingston, and I am now wondering if it was the camera all along.

Anyhow, replacement camera is here and flashed to firmware 2.1, Transcend card in and hopefully no more issues :)

My V2 camera fails once a week or so with 2.1 firmware. I made this video of how it fails:
Where can I get the previous version and is there a 2.2 (or similar) coming to fix this?

My V2 camera fails once a week or so with 2.1 firmware. I made this video of how it fails:
Where can I get the previous version and is there a 2.2 (or similar) coming to fix this?

have you reloaded the firmware?

make sure to restore defaults after loading the firmware also

Yes, firmware now installed twice. It fixes it for one week and then it fails again. Installing today a third time

Most likely I did but can not remember 100% sure.

Now I have reinstalled V2.1 and reset to defaults. We'll see in about one week if it corrupts a third time.

This is the exact issue I ran into, reflashed with V2.1 again and working so far.

Both my units have an overheating issue where it would reboot, especially on really hot days 30C+ outside, not sure how much hotter inside the car.

Updated my A119S to latest V2.1 firmware yesterday and very pleased with it. Have had the camera about 4 months and "touch wood" it has been brilliant and never failed on me....I always have GPS enabled on my video clips with time/date/speed and co ordinates on footage as I have no issues with speeding..

I did see in some previous blogs people were asking for the embedded speed to be removed from the memory files of the SD card when not enabled on the camera`s GPS settings.. I thought I would try this and today I tried leaving my GPS setting on but only having the time and co ordinates embedded on my video clips.. played it back to view via Registrator Viewer and yes there was no speed anywhere to be seen only time and co ordinates...however when I played it back via the Nextbase Replay 3 viewer (which I also use)..yes there was no speed embedded on the video clip BUT the speed did show up on the Nextbase players speed dial icon showing exactly what speed I had been travelling at...so I guess if you don`t want your speed to show up somewhere or other if authorities get hold of your SD card you probably need to completely disable the GPS function on the A119S.?.

Last edited:
I did see in some previous blogs people were asking for the embedded speed to be removed from the memory files of the SD card when not enabled on the camera`s GPS settings.. I thought I would try this and today I tried leaving my GPS setting on but only having the time and co ordinates embedded on my video clips.. played it back to view via Registrator Viewer and yes there was no speed anywhere to be seen only time and co ordinates...however when I played it back via the Nextbase Replay 3 viewer (which I also use)..yes there was no speed embedded on the video clip BUT the speed did show up on the Nextbase players speed dial icon showing exactly what speed I had been travelling at...so I guess if you don`t want your speed to show up somewhere or other if authorities get hold of your SD card you probably need to completely disable the GPS function on the A119S.?.

Registrator Viewer doesn't support the A119, maybe why your speed wasn't showing

The requests for GPS on/off were not to log any data at all when GPS is turned off, not just the display on/off

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
V A119S 2
T A119S 72
Mtz A119S 57
BCHobbyist A119S 1340
J A119S 0
Back