Why I need to sort out (good) side cameras.

Rajagra

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Mini0806
You get this being done to you all the time in London. You are trying to just move along in the centre of your lane and ... well watch. Note the main camera is completely to the left of the windscreen:

Many, many people on two wheels think that arriving from behind and squeezing beside you means they have successfully overtaken you and it is your responsibility to back off so they can cut in. This level of stupidity and arrogance blows my mind, and I no longer give in to this blackmail.

Important point: look what he gained by putting himself in danger like that: absolutely nothing!!!

No effin wonder they get smashed all the time, when driving like that...

Wow... just... wow!

Obviously you failed to yield to their superiority. He's saving the planet by riding a bike, and everyone needs to just get the hell out of his way so he can have even less of an impact on the environment by getting there quicker!

Of course, if he keeps riding like that, he'll have one final IMPACT on the environment and then will never harm it ever again - the ultimate "green" statement!

Personally I'd have drifted just a touch to the left so he'd either have to slam on the brakes or hit the bus. I have no respect for obliviots who don't even have respect for their own safety. If you try to pass where there's no room to pass, then you deserve 110% of what happens.

You get this being done to you all the time in London. You are trying to just move along in the centre of your lane and ... well watch. Note the main camera is completely to the left of the windscreen:

Many, many people on two wheels think that arriving from behind and squeezing beside you means they have successfully overtaken you and it is your responsibility to back off so they can cut in. This level of stupidity and arrogance blows my mind, and I no longer give in to this blackmail.

Important point: look what he gained by putting himself in danger like that: absolutely nothing!!!
Out of interest, what do you use for your side camera? Is it fixed to the door or the dash?

Out of interest, what do you use for your side camera? Is it fixed to the door or the dash?
The camera is https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B01F5C950I
I've just wedged the rear view camera in some plastic trim at the front of the passenger window for now. Not sure it's worth installing properly, the resolution is ugly and this specific device causes the video from the rear camera to judder /keep stepping backwards a moment. I have an almost identical camera on the right of the windscreen and giving a proper rear view, that is also low res but doesn't judder.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Thanks. I looked at that product on Amazon lighting deal earlier this week, but was put off by reviewers comments on the rear camera (amongst other things).

In the first part I thought you were way too close to the car in front for the speed you're doing.
In the second part I realised you are too much to the left and giving space for the moped/motorcycle to undertake you.

Thanks. I looked at that product on Amazon lighting deal earlier this week, but was put off by reviewers comments on the rear camera (amongst other things).

Good decision (y) There have been a few threads here already reporting troubles with the B40 dual-channel cam so it is on my "best to avoid" list now :whistle: For not much more money there are better 2-channel cams now and even more are coming to market. I'm glad to see that as only a year or so ago there were no decent budget-priced 2-channel cams available to us and the only good options carried a high price tag :eek:

Phil

In the first part I thought you were way too close to the car in front for the speed you're doing.
In the second part I realised you are too much to the left and giving space for the moped/motorcycle to undertake you.
There's a reason I drive as close to the car in front as safety allows. It's to stop cheeky gits from cutting in front of me, and very importantly, to MAKE IT CLEAR there's nowhere for them to cut in and I'm not going to let them do so.

I assume you mean I'm too far to the right but looking backwards mixed you up. It's an optical illusion from the camera position - I assure you I was properly in lane early on, but once I realised that mad bugger was refusing to back off despite being in such danger I moved right as much as I could, and when I had a chance to change lanes, I did so.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Often a 2 stroke scooter will spew out more poison than a car.
I love the smell of 2-stroke in the morning.
Brings back good memories. Seriously, I love that smell. :)

i bet you sniff markers/glue/paint too.

for a while, i used to really like the smell of Testors model cement. then I hit puberty. :p

and sepaking of memories triggered by smells - on a cold day, the smell of an old non-turbo diesel makes me think of snow skiing. diesel/kerosene heaters out on the patios, and i could swear some of the chair lifts were run from diesel generators.

Reminds me of my days of riding trail bikes . The 2 strokes was generally smelly but I always recognised the smell of Bel-Ray oil. Their oils had a unique nice smell about them.

Last edited:
There's a reason I drive as close to the car in front as safety allows. It's to stop cheeky gits from cutting in front of me, and very importantly, to MAKE IT CLEAR there's nowhere for them to cut in and I'm not going to let them do so.
We're on different wavelengths.

@Gibson99 I must be old because I remember Testors before they added the mustard 'anti-sniffing' agent to it. It didn't stop the practice but kept parents happy :whistle:

Phil

Back