Discrete Simple Rearview Mirror Dashcam w/o Display Panel

Slotcar

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am trying to find a discrete dashcam hidden in a replacement rearview mirror.

All I seem to be able to find are replacement mirrors or clip-on mirrors with backup camera displays, GPS, navigation, Android, touchscreens, or some other fancy features I do not want or need.

In fact, I would prefer there were NO status lights or anything giving away that there is a dashcam installed on my vehicle.

I currently have BlackBox B40 and have been very happy with the performance and relatively low profile compared with traditional dashcams. But it is still very visible near the top of the windshield, and it still lights up the display screen every time it is turned on, giving away its presence if a thief steals my car.

I am also surprised that there aren't any dashcams that have a "no-lights or displays" setting available, even in these "low profile" or "stealthy" dashcams.

But what I really want is a dashcam that is completely (or mostly) hidden in an OEM looking replacement rearview mirror without any displays or screens. Not a clip-on mirror but an actual replacement mirror that is truly stealthy and not obvious.

...and it still lights up the display screen every time it is turned on, giving away its presence if a thief steals my car....
Cover the screen and LEDs with electrical tape - problem solved. (y)

Cover the screen and LEDs with electrical tape - problem solved. (y)
Funny guy. o_O

Yes this would work, but as this forum is named, I am looking for a replacement rearview mirror dashcam that is stealthy and discrete.

Still very surprised that there seems to be none available.

Funny guy. o_O....
Yea, sorry about that. At 1:00AM (after getting up before 6:00AM) my sense of humor tends to slide away from the center line at times. :)

Regarding your specific issue I'm sure you've found out there is very little available in the way of what you're looking for.

Doing a quick search just now I was only able to find one replacement mirror/camera that looks like it has decent specs - but it's not cheap. I know nothing about the system or the company other than what's on the web site.

https://www.rearviewsafety.com/oem-...mirror-monitor-with-built-in-dash-camera.html

I am trying to find a discrete dashcam hidden in a replacement rearview mirror.

All I seem to be able to find are replacement mirrors or clip-on mirrors with backup camera displays, GPS, navigation, Android, touchscreens, or some other fancy features I do not want or need.

In fact, I would prefer there were NO status lights or anything giving away that there is a dashcam installed on my vehicle.

I currently have BlackBox B40 and have been very happy with the performance and relatively low profile compared with traditional dashcams. But it is still very visible near the top of the windshield, and it still lights up the display screen every time it is turned on, giving away its presence if a thief steals my car.

I am also surprised that there aren't any dashcams that have a "no-lights or displays" setting available, even in these "low profile" or "stealthy" dashcams.

But what I really want is a dashcam that is completely (or mostly) hidden in an OEM looking replacement rearview mirror without any displays or screens. Not a clip-on mirror but an actual replacement mirror that is truly stealthy and not obvious.
You will need to interface with the camera in some way to adjust settings etc, which is why most cameras have screens, even the small ones like your B40. You might get lucky and find one without a screen that you can setup via wifi, but I doubt it.

Depending on your state and/or country I'm aware there are legal issues regarding having a device in the car which can record conversations etc. That may be one reason why some cameras like my SG9665GC have a screen that comes on for 10 seconds (or more, user setting) but cannot be turned off completely.

If you want to have no screen or led at all then you can consider action cameras such as Mobius, JooVoo X, etc

Last edited:
I've yet to find a rearview mirror cam with decent enough quality, but may I ask, what car do you have and where have you located the B40??

Mine's hidden right up behind my rear view so I can't see the screen from the drivers seat and no car thief/dodgy mechanic would have a clue its even there

I guess having a screen to interface with and set things up may be necessary, but I would still like to be able to turn off the indicator lights and screen light up at startup to be totally stealthy.

I also am aware of eavesdropping laws that require people be aware of audio recordings, and I know I am in a "two party" state, so I always leave off the microphone to be safe.

I have the B40 mounted as high as possible up to the sunscreen tint at the top of the windshield. I tested it behind the mirror, but it is far more visible from the outside when it is mounted there. Guess I can't have it all, not visible from the outside and not visible from the inside either.

I'm hoping that dash cam designers or manufacturers read forums like this to find out what customers really want. Doesn't seem like too much to ask for feature-wise, but as it has been mentioned, nothing exists today to have a completely stealthy dash cam.

What car have you got? Is there any way to get something like a Mobius cam hidden inside a piece of trim? They do not have a display and you can disable some of the LEDs in the settings. If you can hide it well enough then LEDs don't matter anyway.

Example of what I did here:

Back