$0.05 lens hood for A119

RCPilot

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Street Guardian SG9663DC Front / Rear
I made a simple lens hood to eliminate some of the lens flare from the sun hitting the lens from the side. I'm still waiting on parts to arrive to make my own CPL filter for my cam. (Apparently VIOFO will have one out soon but I like to tinker...) Then I may make an integrated CPL filter with a lens hood made out of plastic.

To make the lens hood you simply cut a strip of construction paper 15mm x 150mm (5/8" x 4-1/4"). Wrap the construction paper tightly around the lens surround, and tape the construction paper together. Slightly bend the edges to conform to the shape of the lens surround. Mine goes on and off easily but is snug enough not to fall off.

This will not eliminate all of the flare but will eliminate some of it with no other adverse effects. If your lens is angled to the right or left you may need to make the hood shorter so it does not block part of your image.

Attachments

• IMG_5928.JPG
    IMG_5928.JPG
    302.3 KB · Views: 272
  • IMG_5927.JPG
    IMG_5927.JPG
    348.8 KB · Views: 258
Very expensive solution. I try to use cheaper material :)

Good work.
Any ideea to help avoid horrible reflection is welcome

Effectiveness is going to be different for each person depending on angle of windshield and distance of lens from windshield, etc. I think it would work better with a deeper hood but then it also has to be wider to not get in the way of the picture. A 3-d printer would be fun to experiment on making different hoods. But that would cost more than my $0.05 piece of construction paper...

I made a simple lens hood to eliminate some of the lens flare from the sun hitting the lens from the side. I'm still waiting on parts to arrive to make my own CPL filter for my cam. (Apparently VIOFO will have one out soon but I like to tinker...) Then I may make an integrated CPL filter with a lens hood made out of plastic.

To make the lens hood you simply cut a strip of construction paper 15mm x 150mm (5/8" x 4-1/4"). Wrap the construction paper tightly around the lens surround, and tape the construction paper together. Slightly bend the edges to conform to the shape of the lens surround. Mine goes on and off easily but is snug enough not to fall off.

This will not eliminate all of the flare but will eliminate some of it with no other adverse effects. If your lens is angled to the right or left you may need to make the hood shorter so it does not block part of your image.

Have you any before and after videos with your lens hood?

awesome idea, and sample video? I am going to look at this myself.

anyone closed all gaps between camera and windshield?
as example
2D6BE98F00000578-3273093-image-a-16_1444929923666.jpg

please, share pics

I have difficulties seeing how it is possible to obtain a "hood" shielding stray light when you have a lens of like 160 degrees, extremely wide angle.

Personally I have never seen the need of such "hoods", the CPL filter works really well to give an excellent picture clarity - without any "hoods" or even dashboard anti-reflex treatments.

But I guess this is very dependent on the actual car you have, in my case a very unproblematic Volvo S80.

anyone closed all gaps between camera and windshield?
as example
2D6BE98F00000578-3273093-image-a-16_1444929923666.jpg

please, share pics
The Akenori NX01 looks a lot like that. The FOV was about 90deg, and it didn't work if the screen angle was too shallow.

Back