Which power bank?

dws7808

Reaction score
Country
United States
Which power bank do you guys use for dash cam on parking mode?

Power Banks RAVPower 22000mAh Portable Charger, High Capacity USB Battery Pack 22000 with 3 USB Ports, High Speed Charging Power Pack 5.8A Max Output for Smartphone Tablet and More https://www.amazon.com/gp/B01G1XH46M
What do you guys think of this one?

You can buy generic one from Ebay for much less but it loses a small of capacity as advertised

Anything from PowerAdd, RavPower, Aukey, and perhaps a few others. They are all excellent products with good long term ( 1-2 year) warranties and internet or phone support. You could also buy Anker which also offers excellent power products and good service with similar warranty but at this point you'll end up paying a steep premium for essentially the same thing offered by competitors.

Even the two identical, cheap (carefully selected) 20,000 mAh - 22-24 dollar, generic power banks I bought on Amazon have been performing admirably (often under duress for many hours a day) on a regular basis, for three and a half and two years respectively. These kind of apparently high quality, well crafted generic Chinese banks led to the more established brands we see today like those mentioned above.

Last edited:
lot of guys in here use a USB power bank for parking mode, and while the lipo batteries in such a thing are volatile then its not a big concern in regular temperatures.

Most power banks just output the usual 5 volts like you will find in any USB plug, but newer power banks can do quick charging where it output 9 - 12 volts to get the job done quick, and that's no good for a dashcam.
But this are a additional feature, so far the ones i have seen they all do the default 5 volts and you have to do some key pressing to initiate quick charge.

I have not heard of a USB power bank suddenly outputting more volts, i think if that happen a blown dashcam will be the least of your problems.

It is not advised to charge and discharge at the same time on a USB power bank, their electronic are normally not geared to handle that kind of load.

@Dashmellow do they stay in your car all the time or you take turn to charge the power banks indoors?

@Dashmellow do they stay in your car all the time or you take turn to charge the power banks indoors?

Don't leave power banks in your car all the time! I take them in when I get home and charge them @ 1 amp (@2 amps is ok if you're in a hurry) after I give them a chance to rest for an hour or so and let the electro-chemistry of the electrolyte settle down and return to room temperature after a long day of stressful temp variations and vibrations. Good charging technique will give you the best performance, longevity and safety.

Oops! Does it catch fire? I am gonna make a circuit that charge and discharge 24/7 to power the dashcam :/

Back