replacing battery in Mini0806

So, as another postscript, my front camera ended up having the same issues about 8 months after replacing the battery. It is slightly improved when the power is supplied directly to the camera, rather than through the GPS mount, but I've removed the original and replaced it with my unused rear camera once the original started an endless boot/reboot cycle (ding ding ding ding, anyone?)- I expect it will succumb to a similar fate.

So I'm on the lookout for something to replace them - dual channel front and rear, GPS, speed overlay, park guard and ability to protect recordings when an incident occurs.

Anyone know what happened to all the photo's from this thread? It's not like they're being hosted by a 3rd party. Is there another thread that shows the disassembly? Finally figured it was time to replace this battery that only lasts for a few seconds at most.

Anyone know what happened to all the photo's from this thread? It's not like they're being hosted by a 3rd party. Is there another thread that shows the disassembly? Finally figured it was time to replace this battery that only lasts for a few seconds at most.

It appears that those photos were hosted on Dropbox and are no longer available.

I was getting ready to replace the battery in one of my mini 0806s and all the photos from these instructions are missing. Does anyone have another link to mini 0806 battery replacement instructions?

I can upload a dismantle instruction for 0806S but they are quite simlar

Attachments

• mini dash camera disassembly.pdf
    166.5 KB · Views: 54
Can a battery be replaced with a capacitor?

A battery can only be replaced with super-capacitors if firmware for that camera is available that is specifically designed to accomodate a capacitor. If you just install capacitors in a camera that doesn't have the appropriate firmware you'll end of with some corrupted files and the last file when you shut the camera off won't get saved. Some models of certain cameras such as the G1W series are available with either a battery or a capacitor and some people have had success installing super-capacitors in their battery powered camera after flashing with the firmware from the capacitor models.

Hi all,

I know there's a couple of pics floating about on the forum about how to disassemble the mini0806, but I thought I'd supplement those existing images.

Some background. My cam was purchased around 6 months ago from the guys at SportGPS, who have been fantastic. In the last couple of weeks the camera has started shutting down after a couple of minutes running, and rebooting for a few minutes then repeating.

After searching the forums and a bit of diagnosing (powering the cam directly rather than through the GPS mount) I concluded that it was likely the battery.

I spoke to Mike at SportGPS who indicated he was happy for me to replace the battery under warranty, so I went about sourcing and replacing the battery.

1) I purchased two of these of eBay (expecting that the battery in my other mini 0806 would go soon too):
20160314_183016.jpg

3.7v 300mAH LiPo battery, with slightly smaller dimensions than the original.

2) Opening the case was pretty simple thanks to the photos already on the forum - turn the mount to line up with the lens, then pry of the power button shroud with your fingernail, running around the outside. A jeweler's screwdriver may come in handy.

3) Once off, unscrew the four screws underneath, and the end cap comes off:
20160312_125536.jpg

20160312_125555.jpg

4) next step is to carefully slide off the mount ring, being conscious of the wire underneath (in this photo you can see I've marked the original mount position with white-out too). Be aware that when this ring comes off, there is also a spring loaded ball bearing adjacent to the indicator LEDs that is *very* easy to lose track of.
20160312_125824.jpg

20160312_125722.jpg

5) With the mount ring off, it is simply a matter of working your way around the outside of the case halves, separating the lock tabs:
20160312_125915.jpg

20160312_130001.jpg

6) the screen-half of the case is tethered by the screen cable - flicking the grey section of the socket up and away from the ribbon will release it:
20160312_130044.jpg

20160312_130527.jpg

7) this should allow you to remove the circuit boards from the other case-half.:
20160312_132107.jpg

8) The battery is housed between the two circuit boards - you will need to gently and carefully pry the two boards apart. There are 3 sets of pin-socket connectors, slowly work your way around each of them opening the gap slightly with a jeweler's screwdriver (in the photo above I'm already part way there, but here's some other photos of the connectors):
20160312_131719.jpg

20160312_131740.jpg

9) eventually (be patient), they will separate, revealing the battery which is held down with a small double-sided sticky pad (not shown):
20160312_132504.jpg

10) The battery is connected to the circuit board on the other side to where it's mounted - the wires run around a sharp corner to fit inside the case:
20160312_132548.jpg

11) the black wire is obscured underneath the red:
20160312_132614.jpg

12) unsolder - resolder and re-use the sticky pad to mount the battery paying close attention to the routing of the wires. Here's the new battery top, compared to the old:
20160314_183243.jpg

13) reassembly is simply the reverse of the previous steps, paying particular attention to compress the ball bearing into it's enclosure prior to pushing the mount ring over it. The first time I tried it shot across the room - panic ensued.
20160312_125722.jpg

14) test - in my case, no more rebooting!

Good luck!

Kind of an old thread but I'm looking to replace the battery in my 806, any chance you can report the photos as they show removed on my end?

Back