Prevent windshield from fogging

Noonamee

Retailer
Reaction score
Country
United States
Winter is coming, windshield easily gets fogged and it affects the quality of videos recorded by dash cam. Here're some methods to prevent this happening.

Hopefully this helps

Never drive until your screen is completely clear anyway

The one thing I've found is if ever you use one of those purpose-made "De-mister" sponge/pads, they spread the "fog" (now in liquid form) all over the glass, and this basically causes the windows to fog up so much more the next time you leave your car overnight.

What I've also found since is if you give your car windows a good proper clean in decent conditions during the warmer months and then subsequently NEVER EVER "WIPE" the inside of the glass... they should de-mist efficiently enough using JUST the car's fans

Another thing I've found.... if your car is a 1993-2001 Vauxhall/Opel Corsa / holden barina that has been broken into by way of having the doorframe back, you'll NEVER get it to defrost/demist properly ever again!

Toothpaste definitely works. My mouth never fogs up.

I agree with the keep it clean method. Blasting the window with the fan and/or opening the side windows a crack should soon do the job.
But the act of applying toothpaste should clean the glass well. The abrasive is unlikely to damage the glass (I'm sure it's harder than enamel) and you'll give it a good polish (true polish of the abrasive nature, not as in coating it.)

Laminated glass with a plastic layer on the inside would need some extra care, I guess.

Toothpaste definitely works. My mouth never fogs up

:D

I used steel wool on the outside of my windscreen, it was like a new window! (apart from the chips!)

I used a degreaser to clear years of oily residue from the inside of my windshield (residue that Windex wasn't cleaning up). The areas that I missed fog up much quicker than the cleaned areas.

Speaking of which, now that fall's here, I think it's time to degrease my windows again.

Last time I used a biodegradable bike chain degreaser. This time I'm going to try my new favourite cleaner, LA's Totally Awesome Orange Degreaser. It's $1.25 at the dollar store, and it is unbelievably effective. Years of discoloration in the grout in my kitchen/bathroom/entry tiles? Gone. Apparently it's got toxic stuff in it, so gloves are advisable.

Back