512 GW Protected Files Folder

Auld Reekie

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone know why my 512 GW fills my protected folder with unwanted video files. I understood the files that went into this protected files folder were either the result of some sort of collision, or the driver pressing the button on the on the dashcam.
My G Sensor is set to medium, is that over sensitive and needing set to low?

It seems a pointless waste of SD card space.

Also, I have my resolution set to 1440P which I assume is the HI setting, on viewing the video files folder or Protected folder I see there is a Hi and Lo versions of each video file, another waste of card space perhaps.

If I have my dashcam settings at 1440P as my choice should I not just have the Hi-Res video file stored?

Does the same for me. Getting in and closing the car door is enough.

Not had my 412 long but it's now set to low for my next venture. Never had this issue with my 402, must check it's settings.

Hi both,

There are three reasons for protected files:
1- Parking mode: when parking mode is enabled the internal G-Sensor (which is more sensitive that the normal G-Sensor values) will protect a file if a slight knock/bump is detected. Yes this will include you closing your car door.
2- G-Sensor: this is for when you're completing journeys and a significant left/right or forward/backward impact is detected, you can change the sensitivity to low if you're experiencing too many.
3- Red (!): this is for a customer to press when they have witnessed something they want to be protected.

You can turn the G-Sensor off if you like and choose to manually protect each file as and when you need it.

The Hi and Lo resolution files improve the speed of the Wi-Fi transfer, if you do not ever use this feature we're working on a setting to turn this off.

The camera at the moment can hold up to 128Gb which is around 8 hours on the 512GW (with Hi and Lo res files) and around 16 hours on the 412GW.

My G-Sensor sensitivity is set to Low and I commonly get protected files because of a bump in the road or something, but to be honest I'd prefer false positives than not protecting clips if anything were to happen...

Thanks for the replies folk's, I'll give it some thought whether to leave g-sensor medium or low setting.

My G-Sensor sensitivity is set to Low and I commonly get protected files because of a bump in the road or something, but to be honest I'd prefer false positives than not protecting clips if anything were to happen...

That's a good point Sam re false positives. I had previously turned mine off; potholes, speedbumps, etc trigger protection.

However, having read your post, I have decided to keep it on low and reformat the card every few days.

Last edited:
Back