F800 Pro finally supports 128GB

Yoon

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Thinkware F800 Pro is finally listed on Thinkware website.
http://www.thinkware.com/Products/Dashcam/F800PRO

product_f800pro_specifications.jpg

Specification says 128GB memory is supported. Finally.
They also added a new feature called "Energy Saving Mode".
And it's in black.

I guess that's it.
I have no idea why Thinkware decided to release 2 separate yet amazingly similar cameras.
I think they should've just released F800 Pro from the first place as a single model.
I'm curious how much premium $$$ they are going to charge for 128GB support+Energy saving mode+Black color.

Last edited:
Strange, no mention of the "air" feature?

Thinkware F800 Pro is finally listed on Thinkware website.
http://www.thinkware.com/Products/Dashcam/F800PRO

product_f800pro_specifications.jpg

Specification says 128GB memory is supported. Finally.
They also added a new feature called "Energy Saving Mode".
And it's in black.

I guess that's it.
I have no idea why Thinkware decided to release 2 separate yet amazingly similar cameras.
I think they should've just released F800 Pro from the first place as a single model.
I'm curious how much premium $$$ they are going to charge for 128GB support+Energy saving mode+Black color.

Thinkware F800 “Pro”
Originally set to launch in July, this date arrived with the product only available in Asian markets. The camera was also marketed as the F800 Pro, with the Air features mysteriously absent.

Having done some investigation, it appears the background services for these features are not yet finished. The hardware is ready though, so rather than wait, Thinkware chose to launch the product without Air.

It is the Pro version that will be available from Clove this month, hopefully in the next couple of weeks. The full software update to unlock the Air features should be available by the end of the year.

All Pro models sold will be able to receive the update. This can be completed OTA when connected to a trusted Wi-Fi network. The redesigned F800 app for iOSand Android can also check for updates. Those wanting to do things the more old-fashioned way will be able to download the update and install manually.

Once the update is released, Thinkware will sell the F800 Air as a complete product, slowly removing the Pro from the market.

Thinkware F800 “Pro”
Originally set to launch in July, this date arrived with the product only available in Asian markets. The camera was also marketed as the F800 Pro, with the Air features mysteriously absent.

Having done some investigation, it appears the background services for these features are not yet finished. The hardware is ready though, so rather than wait, Thinkware chose to launch the product without Air.

It is the Pro version that will be available from Clove this month, hopefully in the next couple of weeks. The full software update to unlock the Air features should be available by the end of the year.

All Pro models sold will be able to receive the update. This can be completed OTA when connected to a trusted Wi-Fi network. The redesigned F800 app for iOSand Android can also check for updates. Those wanting to do things the more old-fashioned way will be able to download the update and install manually.

Once the update is released, Thinkware will sell the F800 Air as a complete product, slowly removing the Pro from the market.
only available in Asian markets? Blackboxmycar told me Pro model will be available on their site soon. They are located in Canada.

only available in Asian markets? Blackboxmycar told me Pro model will be available on their site soon. They are located in Canada.
While the Pro model may be available in Canada "soon", Ernie C was pointing out quite correctly that in July, it was only available on the Asian markets. As for Blackboxmycar.ca, they aren't even selling the base model F800 right now. It was on their website, but they removed it last week, no doubt because of BestBuy's far better price. It will be interesting to see if they'll carry both models when the Pro does become available. Unless the Pro model is significantly higher in price, I can't see there being much demand for the base model.

While the Pro model may be available in Canada "soon", Ernie C was pointing out quite correctly that in July, it was only available on the Asian markets. As for Blackboxmycar.ca, they aren't even selling the base model F800 right now. It was on their website, but they removed it last week, no doubt because of BestBuy's far better price. It will be interesting to see if they'll carry both models when the Pro does become available. Unless the Pro model is significantly higher in price, I can't see there being much demand for the base model.

Where in Asia was F800 Pro available back in July?

Last edited:
I've seen a number of references to their availability, but haven't paid attention to specifics. Here's a link to a UK site mentioning the same thing:

http://blog.clove.co.uk/2017/08/10/thinkware-f800-air-update-late-2017/
Of course it's mentioning the same thing because Ernie C copied and pasted from that link. LOL
Unfortunately F800 Pro was never available in Asian market either.
Please feel free to provide a number of references to their availability that you have seen.
Just for your information, it was never available in Korea/China/Japan.

Of course it's mentioning the same thing because Ernie C copied and pasted from that link. LOL
Unfortunately F800 Pro was never available in Asian market either.
Please feel free to provide a number of references to their availability that you have seen.
Just for your information, it was never available in Korea/China/Japan.
Sorry mate, I have neither the time nor the inclination to repeat research previously conducted to find material that might satisfy you. As I indicated in my OP, my interest is in the availability and pricing of the F800 Pro in Canada. If you have any useful information related to those issues, I'd be happy to read your posts. :)

Seems like the Pro version is geared more for the commercial market where drivers work for you. Not sure of all the features, but here are my thoughts of what I think Thinkware may have compared to Blackvue Cloud, and as a regular Joe Blow consumer as a guide:

1. Remote Live view - Might be good for parents too. Not a feature that I need...my kids are all grown up.
2. Two way voice - I have a hands free phone with bluetooth already in my car. I do not see a big value for me here.
3. Emergency Alarm when impact is detected - This seems pretty useful for parking mode, but I have it on SD card that I can view anyway. More importantly is that my car will call 911 automatically if I crash. The car probably needs a hotspot in it to work to. So, I'm changing my mind to not useful at all for me.
4. GPS tracking - I know where I am at and I am the only person that drives my car.
5. Remote Video Play Back - Neat feature, but wouldn't I need a hotspot in the car too that will be costly in itself? In parking mode, the F800 turns off the hotspot. I have to have the car running to use hotspot.
6. Video backup - I do not see the benefit for me, I can save to my smartphone and email it to another device with the regular F800

My final thoughts are that based on the above that I am probably fine without and probably would never use the Cloud features. Also, because Thinkware only gave me the choice of a grey dash cam, they should throw in a free firmware upgrade to 128 GB for free. :( If anything, Thinkware might make more money on SD cards.

Am I missing anything?

Last edited:
In parking mode, the F800 turns off the hotspot.

are you sure about this.. if true what is the use of the cloud; that you, rather than watch park footage afterwards, you get instant message about incidents?
This scenario doesn't work for me as at home my car is in underground parking (no reception) so i'd need the park footage...

are you sure about this.. if true what is the use of the cloud; that you, rather than watch park footage afterwards, you get instant message about incidents?
This scenario doesn't work for me as at home my car is in underground parking (no reception) so i'd need the park footage...

In the current firmware, Hot spot / Wifi is turned off when parking mode is enabled. We do not know whether this feature will remain the same in future firmware updates.

Can anyone tell me how to set the time and date on F800 pro ie uk :(

Hi,
The time and date are received by GPS. What you can setup is your timezone (DashCam Settings / System Settings / Time zone) and you daylight if needed (DashCam Settings / System Settings / Daylight saving).
It's all automatic ! ;-)

Regarding orginal suject, i can confirm that i don't have any issue with the Samsing 128Gb Evo+ (https://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/sdxc-evoplus-memory-card-128gb)

Back