F770 + Cellink B -- Fuse question on 2016 Subaru Outback

daleskim

Reaction score
Country
United States
Newbie here hoping to get your advice on my fuse scenario:
  • Since I want parking mode recording, Thinkware requires hardwiring of the Cellink B -- ground and ACC.
  • Since the Cellink will draw at 7amp, the hardwiring requires (or it's highly suggested) to use a 15amp fuse because it's been known to blow 7.5 and 10amp fuses.
  • The two 15amp ACC fuses I have available are the UNIT IG2-2 and A/C IG, but I haven't been able to google what these stand for (fuse diagram attached).
Between these two (if at all), which one would you recommend tapping into and why? I also have a 20amp 12V Socket fuse available, but it seems like 20amp is too much -- thoughts on this?

Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_0339.JPG
    IMG_0339.JPG
    310.2 KB · Views: 21
you want to use a fuse that will not have an impact on the car, for example don't tap into a fuse for a starter motor or fuel pump etc etc. personally I would tap into the cig adapted and use a 15 amp fuse tap which will feed the cellink B.

Fuse tap

s-l300.jpg

Must admit when I installed a Cellink B a 18 months or so, I only used a 10 amp and it never blew.

When ordering a fuse tap make sure you order the correct fuse tap, In fact if I remember correctly the Cellink B comes with a couple of fuse taps.

Also hear is a nice little youtube video on how to install a fuse tap.

Also just to add when tucking the cables away if your car has air bags, make sure the cable does not obstruct them.

Do NOT use a fuse bigger than the one already at the tap-location. I can't really stress this enough... If the PosA-fuse blows it does NOT blow PosB-fuse. If the PosB-fuse ramps up current to exceed .... let's say 15A in a 10A-slot.. it will burn the wires leading to the fusebox from battery, as these are rated for their original intended usage. Not these aftermarket-taps...

If you tap, always use a SMALLER fuse on PosB-fuse location than the one already in the fusebox. 10A is 10A or LESS.. Not the other way around.

I would tap it on the 20A 12V socket instead. If that fuse blows, you will know that you only loose the 12V socket. If the other fuse blows who knows what functions will be lost and unnoticed? Just make sure the 20A 12V fuse only receives power when the car is turned on and it will be fine for the Cellink B.

Make sure you use quality fuses.
cheap ones might overheat/melt but not blow!

To follow on from Jeez123's comment, the purpose of a fuse is to protect the downstream wire: Under a fault condition it is essential that the current rating of the wire is not exceeded, risking overheating and ultimately a fire. So you should not select a fuse rating without first ensuring that this is within the rating for the wire. Usually you can trust the manufacturer of equipment that the fuse rating they recommend will be safe.

In theory Jeez123's warning about the upstream wiring from fusebox to battery is unfounded, because this should be protected by an upstream fuse.

Back