Choosing a car to suit your dashcam?

TonyM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
A139, M1S
When you go to buy your next car, will you consider dashcam - friendly features when choosing which one to buy?

Do you want 12v sockets front and back? A convenient cubby hole for a powerbank? Do you avoid cars with big rain sensors?

Have you driven a hire car where you could not fit your dashcam the way you like it?

I am currently 'shopping' and definitely consider camera installation, although to be totally honest I haven't yet looked at a vehicle where it will be a major issue. A big sensor housing to me is an advantage since my current setup works very well with the camera mounted on the housing versus under/alongside it. Shape of the housing is a factor though as I've seen a few vehicles where it's curved versus having flat surfaces. 12V/USB power is a consideration (current #1 candidate has 2 12V and 5 USB (y) ) as well as location of and access to fuse boxes.

Another factor coming into play is the ease of running a cable from front to rear for a dual camera setup - like the upcoming SG DC.

I would look for a car that dont have a lot of stuff on the windscreen, which should be easy as all i can afford are budget cars.
If i got so lucky i could get my dream car i would be in trouble, not that it have a lot on the windscreen but it is a split windscreen, have a long "nose" and not least it have a 4-5" thick windscreen ( bulletproof glass )
And that much glass do block some light.
But then i plan on using a array of outside mounted IP cameras instead of dashcams.

Since i cant get the South African Marauder i will probably have to go shopping in Russia.

This KAMAZ-63968 Typhoon-K with remotely controlled weapon station will do just fine, not least if i could get that gun and 1200 KG of ammo to sweeten the deal.
ARMY2017-Static-part2-072-X2.jpg

or maybe this more parking friendly car.
ARMY2017-Static-part2-061-X2.jpg

Last edited:
most likely not, I guess I would say most of the time adding a dashcam would not be to much of an issue.

I would look for a car that dont have a lot of stuff on the windscreen, which should be easy as all i can afford are budget cars.
If i got so lucky i could get my dream car i would be in trouble, not that it have a lot on the windscreen but it is a split windscreen, have a long "nose" and not least it have a 4-5" thick windscreen ( bulletproof glass )
And that much glass do block some light.
But then i plan on using a array of outside mounted IP cameras instead of dashcams.

Since i cant get the South African Marauder i will probably have to go shopping in Russia.

This KAMAZ-63968 Typhoon-K with remotely controlled weapon station will do just fine, not least if i could get that gun and 1200 KG of ammo to sweeten the deal.
ARMY2017-Static-part2-072-X2.jpg

or maybe this more parking friendly car.
ARMY2017-Static-part2-061-X2.jpg
I think in your country this is all you can get :)
41nHwu-wvtL._SL1500_.jpg

Yes but mine are filled with a thin food grade oil and blended and filtered California reaper peppers.

When you're poor, you take whatever comes your way then go from there. In time you'll get pretty good at making things work :cool: I'm also a Ham radio operator and I hear no end of whining from my cohorts that they can't drill holes in their new car for fear of losing its value. My answer is always that they can't be too smart if they didn't realize that before they bought the car now could they? :eek:

Hurrah @TonyM for knowing what priorities matter most :D Don't make yourself fit into your world- make your world fit you instead (y)
Phil

Back