LIVE VIEW THROUGH HDMI

TourbusGuy

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
VicoVation Opia II, Street Guardian SGGCX2PRO.
I'm looking for a dash cam that can stream live video through an HDMI cable to the TV monitors on a tour bus. It would be great if it also had Wi-Fi capabilities for passengers to monitor. It really don't even need to be recording, as I currently run a Vicovation Opia2 for my regular dash cam, which records constantly as I'm driving.
Another driver I met ran a second cam high on the bus windshield, hooked to the TV monitors, so passengers seated in the rear could see out the front while sightseeing. His cam was small, had no name on it, and someone gave it to him, so not sure of the brand. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Mini series has HDMI, as well As Joovuu X.

Mini series has HDMI, as well As Joovuu X.

Thanks for the reply. I found a Mini 806 on Amazon. Waiting for an answer to see if it can stream video while recording...

IIRC, the mini 080x will record and output video via HDMI at the same time. I can check on my 0805 when I get home.

I bought an Mini O8O5P from Road Guardian on Amazon. I put an 64GB MicroSD card in it, mounted it on the windshield, hooked up an HDMI cord & was streaming the footage live to the TV monitors while it was recording. At least I think it was recording to the card. I never checked because I knew my Vico OpiaII was recording. All I can say is, the passengers loved seeing the view out the front while we toured Colorado Springs.
Thanks for the help guys......

I bought an Mini O8O5P from Road Guardian on Amazon. I put an 64GB MicroSD card in it, mounted it on the windshield, hooked up an HDMI cord & was streaming the footage live to the TV monitors while it was recording. At least I think it was recording to the card. I never checked because I knew my Vico OpiaII was recording. All I can say is, the passengers loved seeing the view out the front while we toured Colorado Springs.
Thanks for the help guys......
Just an update on the Mini 0805... It's been a year now that I've been streaming the video captured by the 0805 to the TV monitors on the tour bus. Thousands of miles across many states & a couple of Canadian Provinces. The resolution has been great & the passenger's have expressed appreciation for having that option. The step on tour guides like it also, as the passengers in the rear of the bus can see the landmarks that he points out. My boss has equipped the other 6 buses with the same dashcam.....once again, thanks guys!

Hello, this post was written a few years ago but it is still relevant to me. Our company has coaches where the view to the front is transmitted to monitors in the coach via HDMI. Recording is not necessary. The original cameras are not yet commercially available, which is why we came up with the idea of using a dashcam. Overall, this seems to be a difficult issue.
Are there any current models available? I could no longer find the ones mentioned in the shops.

Hello, this post was written a few years ago but it is still relevant to me. Our company has coaches where the view to the front is transmitted to monitors in the coach via HDMI. Recording is not necessary. The original cameras are not yet commercially available, which is why we came up with the idea of using a dashcam. Overall, this seems to be a difficult issue.
Are there any current models available? I could no longer find the ones mentioned in the shops.
HDMI hasn't become popular on dashcams, most people use wifi to view live on their phone app. These days, you can get your phone to output HDMI to the monitors, and then you can view the dashcam phone app and also play other videos from the phone which may be suitable for the tour. Might be easier to use a tablet rather than a phone, they normally come with an HDMI socket and you can leave it all plugged in.

Many thanks for the answer. Some cameras still have an HDMI connection for transmission to a TV etc. However, this does not mean that you can also transmit the current live image. Using a tablet or phone is a bit cumbersome for the driver. You can also play videos using a stick. It's just about the front view and direct connection to the monitors

Many thanks for the answer. Some cameras still have an HDMI connection for transmission to a TV etc. However, this does not mean that you can also transmit the current live image. Using a tablet or phone is a bit cumbersome for the driver. You can also play videos using a stick. It's just about the front view and direct connection to the monitors
It would be a bit of extra/different work for the driver, or guide if you have one, but I don't think cumbersome is the right description. It would avoid having to mess with your sticks, which is maybe more cumbersome. I understand your comment, but most drivers are capable of using a phone, and may be very happy to do so, it is a few seconds work to put up a video or switch to the camera app live stream. Maybe it is not the right solution, but don't underestimate your drivers.

There are still plenty of dashcams that output analog video, and you can easily get analog video to HDMI convertors (just do a search), so that would be an easy solution, although it would not be fantastic quality video.

For a good camera with analog video output, you could look at the Viofo A119 V3, I'm not sure which of the newer Viofo cameras have AV out, maybe someone else can answer that, but the A119 V3 has plenty of info for connecting it, eg:

The AV output is actually a solution. You can always use an adapter in between.
The question I'm asking myself is whether the camera can also transmit the image directly. I had a look at the Truecam, for example, and the manufacturer told me that the camera can't do a live stream. (which I honestly don't understand)

Some cameras, at least back in the day, COULD not record and at the same time have the HDMI out live too, at least that is what my old and tired memory good tell me right now.

Some cameras, at least back in the day, COULD not record and at the same time have the HDMI out live too, at least that is what my old and tired memory good tell me right now.
I don't want to record - just show the front view via hdmi

One possible option would be to use a small CCTV NVR using any camera of your choice. You could actually have multiple live cameras displayed in a grid or show each camera individually in full frame and switch between the other camera views. Typically you would attach an external hard drive to a NVR to save your recordings but AFAIK you can run and operate the cameras using just a monitor without a hard drive. All NVRs feature an HDMI out port as well as other video out ports such as VGA. These types of NVR operate on 12V.

nvr.jpg

Last edited:
It would be a bit of extra/different work for the driver, or guide if you have one, but I don't think cumbersome is the right description. It would avoid having to mess with your sticks, which is maybe more cumbersome. I understand your comment, but most drivers are capable of using a phone, and may be very happy to do so, it is a few seconds work to put up a video or switch to the camera app live stream. Maybe it is not the right solution, but don't underestimate your drivers.

There are still plenty of dashcams that output analog video, and you can easily get analog video to HDMI convertors (just do a search), so that would be an easy solution, although it would not be fantastic quality video.

For a good camera with analog video output, you could look at the Viofo A119 V3, I'm not sure which of the newer Viofo cameras have AV out, maybe someone else can answer that, but the A119 V3 has plenty of info for connecting it, eg:
I have just found out that you can use this camera for direct transmission. You just have to use an adapter or something similar in between

I have just found out that you can use this camera for direct transmission. You just have to use an adapter or something similar in between
Yes, the only complication is finding, or making, the right cable, and be aware that although the A119 V3 has a very nice image quality, the AV output is only in standard analog SD resolution. I doubt that your screens are much better, but don't expect Full HD quality.

Only 6 days ago, for what was the second time Nigel, you argued with me over why dash cams don't need an AV out port like I was suggesting for the new VS-1, yet here you are suggesting the use of cameras with an AV-out port for a unique purpose along with instructions for how to convert the signal to HDMI. As I often point out, your arguments and petty spats with me so often come across as manufactured and gratuitous....Arguments for arguments sake, if you will. Yet here you are taking the opposite position on AV-out as a useful feature for dash cams. While what is proposed in this thread would be a permanent install, you still need to have a camera with AV-out capabilities. You can't have it both ways!

For a good camera with analog video output, you could look at the Viofo A119 V3, I'm not sure which of the newer Viofo cameras have AV out, maybe someone else can answer that, but the A119 V3 has plenty of info for connecting it,...

March 16th
If I want a "real screen", then I think I prefer the live view over wifi onto a tablet, or laptop, screen rather than that old analogue TV system with lots of cables.

BTW, video quality over AV out from a dash cam can be quite acceptable for most purposes, especially when using a 2K camera as the original source to an analogue signal going into a high resolution (1080p or 720p) monitor .

BTW, video quality over AV out from a dash cam can be quite acceptable for most purposes, especially when using a 2K camera as the original source to an analogue signal going into a high resolution (1080p or 720p) monitor .
The monitors have a 720p resolution

IP network cameras sometimes have HDMI out on the camera, might be an option, but normally they have a narrower field of view than a dashcam, and that tends to make it look like you are driving too fast, so will scare the passengers!

Since Dashmellow actually owns more than one Viofo A119 V3, and does use the AV out, it is probably reasonable to take his word on the image quality! It also has a nice field of view, a little narrower than an average dashcam, good for seeing the view, but not so narrow that it looks like you are driving too fast.

This LINK shows an example of a 1080p Mobius camera fed via AV-out into a 720p monitor at a 16:9 aspect ratio. The image is quite usable although it looks dim in the bright ambient lighting. With the A119 V3 the image on the same monitor is dramatically better. It's not a perfect high definition image by any means but I believe it would work well for the OPs purpose.

Back