Reaction score
Country
United States
So I just hooked up my dashcam and it keeps saying

Wireless Access Point Device Limit Reached

While driving
What the heck is this and how do I stop it? Very annoying

Wireless Access Point Device Limit Reached

Such an exception message 'would' imply that the camera has a maximum limit set for the number of Wireless Access Points that it can connect to at one time. Both the 650s and 750s can contain login profiles for up to three (3) access points. Either you have somehow configured all three slots in the camera and are now trying to configure a fourth (exceeding the max allowed), or there's a bug in the camera that throws this exception message without just cause. You will have to decide which scenario is true.

Using a device running the Blackvue Cloud App (cell phone, pad, tablet) connect to your cam via its Wifi. Check the number of hotspot configs you have set-up already in your camera. If you don't have more than three already configured and your camera is set to automatically connect to an available hotspot (access point), then there is something wrong with the camera's exception message. If you have three configured already, the you will have answered your own question.

Only had and have 1 access point
It would just randomly keep telling me this.

Only had and have 1 access point
It would just randomly keep telling me this.

You are not kidding. That is definitely random and a problem. It appears to be firmware related from what I can gather form other customers reporting the same issue. Some are getting relief from rebooting the cam. I've never had any MSD card issues when I formatted my MSC card outside of Blackvue's reach. I've used the standard Blackvue 16GB card and now a new Samsung 128GB card. I think one of the issues for some people could be in the way the MSD card is formatted. Blackvue suggests that you format your MSD card from within their Cloud Viewer, or from within the camera itself. I did that the first time and had all manner of issues pop up over time. I then decided to format outside of Blackvue and never had a problem since then with any MSC card I've used. Mere coincidence? Maybe, but it has been the only thing that worked for me long term.

Here's what has worked for me in my experience:

0) Back-up all video files from the MSD card to another drive for safe keeping (if any). Shut down cam, remove MSD Card and insert into your PC (use SD card adapter).

1) Format the MSD card to Fat32 using Macrorit. Note: Even if your MSD card exceeds the Windows size limitation of 32GB, a tool like Macrorit (http://macrorit.com/partition-magic-manager/free-edition.html) will safely extend formatting beyond that limitation on that MSD card. I use a 128GB MSD card from Samsung without problems (a non-Blackvue Micros SD Card that works fine in my DR750s).

2) Download the latest Camera Firmware. Disregard their instructions for the formatting phase (you've already done that above). Pick up the instructions where it tells you to copy the unzipped "Blackvue" folder onto your already formatted MSC card (https://www.blackvue.com/downloads/). Simply use this page to download the Camera Firmware appropriate for the kind of cam you have. At the end of this step, you should simply have the unzipped Blackvue" folder mounted to an empty formatted (Fat32) MSD card. Make sure you don't have any additional files mounted on the MSD card other than the unzipped "Blackvue" folder.

3) Make sure your camera is off (ie, not receiving any power) and reinsert the MSD card into the camera. Power on the camera (ie, connect the power cable to the camera). At this point, the camera should detect the existence of the "Blackvue" folder and begin its set-up process. Allow the cam to run through its set-up process without interruption until the cam initiates its "Normal Recording" mode on its own. If you get this far without problems, the formatting worked and the mounted "Blackvue" folder was used by the camera correctly to install the firmware.

4) Make sure the cam's Wifi is turned on, login to the cam via its Wifi and configure the hotspot to be used with your camera (you should already know how to do this). After configuring the hotspot to be used with your camera, back out of the camera's configuration pages until you are prompted to "Save" the changes you just made. The cam should: a) Reboot itself on its own, b) Enter "Normal Recording" mode on its own, c) Connect to the "Cloud" via your hotspot on its own - all without user intervention.

If you get this far without being told that you have exceeded the number of access points available for use with the camera, then you can confirm that the problem has been solved temporarily. The real test will come with usage and the repeated automatic connections the camera makes each time it restarts itself, or each time you make a camera settings change requiring the camera to reboot.

Hope this helps. If not, your cam may need to be returned and swapped for a new one (assuming you have already tried Blackvue's instructions for formatting your MSD card using their method).

Back