Please Explain Wi-Fi Cams And How It Works (in the real world)

Jaydash

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, new member and long-time lurker here. I'm just starting to narrow-down which features or attributes I might need, for both a top-end/ dual camera system for myself, and a lesser quality (middling) single camera for my Dad.

I am revisiting the idea of buying dashcams having not looked at the market for around 18 months/ 2 years, and the last time I looked I thought Wi-Fi would be a good idea, although it wasn't available then. By that I mean the ability to transfer footage to a laptop while sat in the car, perhaps using the house's WiFi signal. Or even to just leave the ignition on with the car safely in the driveway, and sit in my lounge and watch/ transfer footage, even though the signal would obviously be weaker at distance. The latter seems quite ambitious, but is any of this feasible? Just to be clear, I only want to transfer, not monitor the cam continously.

The reason I ask is because in my experience of owning (cheap/ crap) dash cams on a swivel suction mount, when you go to remove the SD card to view footage it is fiddly, plus the camera moves negating the careful positioning done to get the best view etc. The upshot? I never watched any footage, which is fine if you have one purely for accident purposes, but not if you want to revel in the better footage of a decent-quality cam. Also, if you never watch anything, you don't know when the cam has stopped working.

So, I definitely do not want to view footage on a small screen on a camera fixed to my windscreen; it either has to be on my laptop or at least on a mobile phone, and preferably while I'm sat comfortably in my lounge. Should I prioritise Wi-Fi therefore, or look for something else where I have to remove the SD card but the cameras are remote so doing-so won't affect their positioning?

I'm thinking of something like the K1S by Koonlung here from a couple of years back, where you could mount a central unit somewhere in the cabin, and both the front and rear cameras were on the end of cables and were tiny. What do you think? Do you have any advice, going by your own experience? BTW, I may compromise on ultimate picture quality to get other desirable features, but I'm not worried about budget.

Last edited:
Wifi is handy for changing menu settings and very occasional access to files, not really great for large scale transfer or viewing of files, not based on current technology at least

Taking a card out to access your content is a much quicker way to go

Classic case of a solution looking for a problem, IMO. They may not even transfer the video at full resolution, so what's the point?
Clunky in use too, the cameras I have with wifi operate as a hotspot, so you have to switch your phone (or whatever) to connect to that, and you lose your data connection to everything else.

Well... I'm not sure that I'm looking for problems in this case. I've already mentioned the problem and it's a legitimate one for me, learned from experience of using dashcams (albeit the wrong ones for me, evidently). I was just trying to find-out if the technology matched my expectations, like when I was looking into cordless rear cams a while ago , which did work but it wasn't really recommended.

But from research elsewhere and the answers on here so far, it seems that WiFi isn't really feasible and is not worth talking about any more for the moment. So removing the card is the thing, and I guess I should now focus on whether to get a cam that hard fixes to the screen where touching it won't affect its aim (i.e. the wedge-shaped Street Guardian), or the type where the main control unit can be mounted elsewhere or hidden away (i.e. K1S)? Cheers.

Last edited:
The "smart" people often hope for with wifi in dashcams isent really there, i can imagine this being a tough fact to deal with for the wifi generations.
But it seem like they will have to wait a while before that get into dashcams.
Personally i dislike wifi and do my best to not use it, i would never connect a devise of mine to a public wifi, but i do use wifi at home for something ( CCTV ), but it is a closed system not connected to my other devises or my internet connection.
If any of my home CCTV cameras was pointed inwards i would not be able to use wifi, but they are all pointing out of my apartment so i can deal with that.

The lack of useful WiFi is one of my complaints as well.. and, I get tired of those that say WiFi is not practical to view footage because of file size.. transfer speed etc. All from folk that likely stream Netflix movies on their laptops.

To the OP.. BlackVue cameras are pushing the cloud feature to store your video and as part of this process their "app" does a reasonable job of viewing your video on a smart phone or tablet.. (saving it to your phone is a hassle, then transferring that to a PC is even harder).. so far I have not been able to connect my PC.. however there are those that have.. and I live in hope that the later models (and possibly my next) will provide true WiFi and not the limited versions currently available.

I'm not saying there aren't legitimate needs that might be served wirelessly, it's just a case of manufacturers seeing they can cheaply add WiFi chips, deciding it's a good marketing point, then struggling to find a productive use for it.

Often in the process they make the device more of a pain to use.

I'd be happy for a camera to connect to a WiFi network as a storage device, so I can simply view the directory of files and view them /download them as desired. But noooo, nothing can be allowed to be that straightforward. They do it bass ackwards instead, making the camera into a WiFi hotspot, forcing you to use an app, only transferring low res video, etc.

Maybe there are good implementations out there, but I have a handful of action cams with WiFi, and for me it adds no value at all.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Back