why is battery bad for dash cams in hot weather but not for bluetooth speakers or other devices?

Why can't we build them like reverse cameras...
Camera eye bit on the windshield and cable all the way back to centre console or glovebox where everything else resides? Or attach body to visor.

Regards
Duke
I've been saying this for a while now.
I notice mobius have an option for anexternal lens (20cm?) on their little cams.

Is there some sort of problem with signal degrading over distance (I know in terms of mains electricity & high voltage stuff, there are limits to how far you can push the power round before you need to intervene with step up transformers etc, but surely a 4 or 5 metre cable is possible for digital video?

thats just a bit information... and very general and limited...im sorry even wikipedia is more useful than this

the number of charge cycles has very much effect, in fact it IS the MAIN thing that destroys your battery in normal environment, currently ANY battery...(besides temperature...but this is a natural fact since you wouldnt expect yor refrigerator to work on 100°C environment properly either...)
maybe i was too general, and not detailed enough....yes the lithium inside your battery does not care about the cycles...it could handle many more... but the electrode/collector that leads the electric energy out of the battery and when charging inside battery dissolves over the charging cycling until it can not anymore provide good enough ability for charging and drawing out the energy
especially the charging cycle when battery is nerly full or very empty put a lot stress on it and produces much damage

this can be adressed with good electronics, but is still one of the main unsolved problems of Li-Io batterys, if not the main one...

and to be honest, i agree the dash cams are a great piece of chinese engineering
but having looked inside some of them, fake and originals.... i dont have enough trust in that electronics...no, in the manufacturers, to have build in that smart electronic and thinking that far ahead, to have selected parts that are not dangerous...
not to mention feeling save that my dashcam wont blow up inside my car at some time... i have always that on my mind especially on summer heatwaves, you should too

why?
-because i own the cheaper models below $60 that mostly just appear and few months later disappear from market
-because i dont trust their electronic parts selection
-because there are many strange manufacturers, and some are just copying making it look land working like original without underrstanding it... without caring for actual purpose of the parts and plan
-because most of them are just out for the fast money and dont care for customers that bought it
-because once you bought it, its not their problem but yours, especially if youre far away
-because there ere exponetially more models that are trash and unreliable, overheating, breaking, dying etc than REALLY WORKING ones
THE WHOLE PURPOSE OF THIS FORUM IS TO IDENTIFY THE GOOD ONES LOL!
-because even reputable manufacterers are behaving like amateurs with their customers, provding only commercial information that is partly false, not supporting their product and after few months droping it and releasing the next dash cam, that s actually with a high chance worse than its predecessor
i could go on and on.... but i dont think its necessary ;)
but dash cams have very few discharge cycles. And the charge cycles are just top ups with are actually not wearing Li-ion batteries all that much. they will stop being charged when full by the internal circuitry (should be). the MAIN cause is they are cheap. The second cause is the heat. Cycles is the very last thing affecting dashcam batteries in normal operation. I doubt they trickle charge and overcharge as that would be dangerous.

Reactions: jwc
but dash cams have very few discharge cycles. And the charge cycles are just top ups with are actually not wearing Li-ion batteries all that much. they will stop being charged when full by the internal circuitry (should be). the MAIN cause is they are cheap. The second cause is the heat. Cycles is the very last thing affecting dashcam batteries in normal operation. I doubt they trickle charge and overcharge as that would be dangerous.

Li-Ion battery "life" (total life) is measured by how much energy you can pass through it.
Unfortunately sales/marketing often advertises with "can be recharged up to 500 times".

For example (*extremely* simplified) assume a battery has a total life of 1000 amp hours and a capacity of 10 amp hours.
If you start full, drain it and recharge it, it can be recharged 100 times.
You could also start full, use 1 amp hour and recharge it and it can be recharged 1000 times.

The *number* of charge cycles is meaningless in itself.
Discharging a battery until it is flat is significantly more stressful on it than discharging it half way and recharging it twice.

Yeah, exactly. This is why Dashcams are not a bad environment for rechargeable batteries in terms of cycles/use, just bad in terms of temperature ranges and some vibration.

Right, what will necessitate a battery to weaken will not so much be the charge cycles in normal dash cam use but temperature extremes, especially heat.

Back