That's pretty F'd up

Don't worry, they let blind people drive over here too

AFAIK having a functional brain is not a prerequisite to getting a driver's license anywhere :( If they implemented that as a rule half of today's drivers would become pedestrians :whistle:

Phil

Bad enough he pulled out in front of you but he couldn't even stay to the side.

Did he actually think he could move into the left lane in time for you to pass him on the right???
Sometimes I regret even trying to work out what some people are thinking. Just pretend it's a large-scale version of Brownian motion - almost completely random movement. It's safer that way than assuming rational thought is involved.

AFAIK having a functional brain is not a prerequisite to getting a driver's license anywhere :( If they implemented that as a rule half of today's drivers would become pedestrians :whistle:

Phil
Agree, but I think you are being benevolent starting at only half of today’s drivers ;)
I'm not so sure I'd want all those nitwits walking around. The cure might prove to be worse than the disease.

yeah, they'd probably start riding bikes since there's no license required.

maybe people who want to ride a bicycle on a public road ought to have to pay registration fees for the bike, be issued a license plate (thus paying road taxes), and be required to pass a test to earn a license - to (presumably) be certain that they know the laws.

course, "getting a license to show that you know the law" hasn't exactly worked out for actual motor vehicle drivers, has it?

but requiring registration and licensing might (just maybe!) cut down on the volume of suicidal idiots on the road...

maybe people who want to ride a bicycle on a public road ought to have to pay registration fees for the bike, be issued a license plate (thus paying road taxes), and be required to pass a test to earn a license - to (presumably) be certain that they know the laws.

course, "getting a license to show that you know the law" hasn't exactly worked out for actual motor vehicle drivers, has it?

but requiring registration and licensing might (just maybe!) cut down on the volume of suicidal idiots on the road...
+1

Though I wish no harm on anyone, if there must be a collision I don't want the idiots in vehicles where my own safety is at risk. If they're on foot on on a bike and decide to pull out in front of me I don't think I''ll suffer much harm ;) The concept is to not empower idiots with more responsibility than they can safely handle :D

Phil

Though I wish no harm on anyone, if there must be a collision I don't want the idiots in vehicles where my own safety is at risk. If they're on foot on on a bike and decide to pull out in front of me I don't think I''ll suffer much harm ;) The concept is to not empower idiots with more responsibility than they can safely handle :D

Phil
Ditto to that Phil

Not so long ago, all bicycles here in Portugal required a license plate that was provided by the county's City Hall. Those plates had a code for the city's name (i.e TNV for Torres Novas, STR for Santarém, LSB for Lisbon, PRT for Porto, CBR for Coimbra, etc), followed by a sequence number, and to get it you had to take your bicycle for a safety inspection, pass a Road Code test and prove on the spot that you could ride. And this wasn't for free, you had to pay for the test, the plate and the paperwork.
With this system there were records of the number of bicycles in circulation in each county and who owned them, and they made sure every cyclist riding around knew at least the road code. What was wrong with this system? Nothing but someone up there at some point decided that all of this was unnecessary. :confused::mad:

Last edited:
Not so long ago, all bicycles here in Portugal required a license plate that was provided by the county's City Hall. Those plates had a code for the city's name (i.e TNV for Torres Novas, STR for Santarém, LSB for Lisbon, PRT for Porto, CBR for Coimbra, etc), followed by a sequence number, and to get it you had to take your bicycle for a safety inspection, pass a Road Code test and prove on the spot that you could ride. And this wasn't for free, you had to pay for the test, the plate and the paperwork.
With this system there were records of the number of bicycles in circulation in each county and who own them, and they made sure every cyclist riding around knew at least the road code. What was wrong with this system? Nothing but someone up there at some point decided that all of this was unnecessary. :confused::mad:
Another benefit of registration would be easy identification for when (not if) a cyclist does something stupid like a hit n run, you at least have a chance of getting something out of them.

Looked like a senior driver move...

Back