SG9665GC Mirror Mount! [Just what we needed]

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
SG9665GC v3
Settled upon the SG9665GC v3 as the one we wanted – but NO factory mirror mount offered that we could find.

But gotta have one, one way or the other.

Rolled the dice and ordered this universal mirror mount https://www.amazon.com/gp/B0102CK1BS at the same time the SG9665GC was ordered. What the heck - it was cheap enough. Was thinking maybe, just MAYBE there’ll be something in that fit-it-all kit that would either work, or be up for some modification.

When it all finally showed up, went through the assortment of camera bracket adapters and sure enough DID find one that worked – sort of. It had the right sort of shape, size and design, clicked in, but had up & down slop – the wiggle was totally unacceptable. So turned to the old reliable fix for sloppy fitting – shim stock. Chose some in 20 thousandths of a pretty hard brass – the stuff is so hard it’s practically brittle. Figured a piece that was big enough to go across the raised ridges on either side of the bracket hole on the SG9665GC, not go over the edge on the back of the unit, nor cover the vent hole on the front should work. Cut the square hole in the shim stock so that the bracket piece would go through but fit very snug, tried it on. It went on in with a firm ka-click into the camera and was solid – was gonna take it back off to powder coat the shim to a nice black color but got scared since it could be one of those cases where what gets undone cannot be redone again, so left it on and just ran a black magic marker around it. Good enough.

z9wi4yt.jpg

This all worked out just like it was wanted. Couldn’t be any better – except for hard wiring everything in. The power leads are the way they are for experimental reasons – the power cord for the camera is loop-de-looped around the mirror a couple of times so cam & bracket doesn’t get banged up if the cord gets yanked around by accident.

UP0ukfw.jpg

Drove around on various streets & roadways and so far it has been solid. No shake & quake - vids have been steady and the sound has had no clicking, popping or other distortions. The vehicle the cam is in has very good tires and a very comfy suspension system – if it was in like a 4 wheel drive truck or something with stiff shocks/stiff suspension, the results may be very different. When working the buttons, I just don’t jab at it, I hook a couple of fingers along an edge to stabilize it and press with the thumb. So far, so good.

dIeU9sb.jpg

Really, really wanted a mirror mount setup for the SG9665GC for several reasons – one, to make it less noticeable from the outside – sure, that may create other issues like more susceptibility to reflections from the dash and other visual interference, but improved stealth is worth it, and most important, it gets HOT around here and the ability to tuck it behind a sunshade away from a brutal pounding from the sun when parked should go far towards keeping the cam alive & healthy. It’s not any good to us if it’s damaged and not working, no matter the warranty or customer service. Also, wanted to be able to loosen the tension screw so it can be quickly swiveled around to the left or right (or maybe even towards the back) in case there is something seriously wonky going on in those directions, though available slack for the power/gps cords would have to be worked out for that to be viable.

If Street Guardian offered a comparable factory mirror mount it would definitely be worth it to some customers - like us - I would be sure.

still prefer the window mount, nice and solid and well researched and made. what happens if you run into something at 60 mile an hour? that camera the way its mounted will most likely start recording the sky and all the footage youll get is the rescue chopper airlifting you away.

the mirror mount isn't for everyone but it is a way to get around some legal issues in places where sticking anything to the window isn't allowed

(...) and the ability to tuck it behind a sunshade away from a brutal pounding from the sun when parked should go far towards keeping the cam alive & healthy.
You don't have to mount the camera away from the windscreen to be able to tuck a sunshade between them, you can always put the sunshade on the outside. It's more effective this way because it also prevents the glass from getting hot and transferring even more heat to the cabin. ;)

It gets hot here in Australia too. (y)
I have mine mounted on the frit (black dots), behind the mirror so that the camera lens sits fractionally below the frit, this way it blends in with the mirror to make it look stealthy, even if I don't put my windscreen shade up.
I can still fit my window shade between the camera lens and the windscreen to block the heat when it is hot.

It gets hot here in Australia too. (y)
I have mine mounted on the frit (black dots), behind the mirror so that the camera lens sits fractionally below the frit, this way it blends in with the mirror to make it look stealthy, even if I don't put my windscreen shade up.
I can still fit my window shade between the camera lens and the windscreen to block the heat when it is hot.
I have mine mounted in a similar fashion, and it works great.

I have mine mounted on the frit (black dots), behind the mirror

Yup........... Mine is above and as close to the center mirror post as possible with just the lens sticking its nose out as if anyone noticed which shows when I review the occasional video

i love my armchair, it massages me as well as reclines when i want.

Wow, nicely done!

But we need to talk about that detector. Time to look into newer and better options ;)

Wow, nicely done!

But we need to talk about that detector. Time to look into newer and better options ;)
LoL - well - - - - - - - - it's actually pretty new, using a proven circuit design, which works well enough for my particular circumstances. Everybody recently went radar crazy around here - can't go 3 miles in any direction without getting zapped - no exaggeration. Just like to know if I'm being shot at and where.

Back