BlackVue DR750S-2CH

Another inquiry, anyone else from Canada order direct from Blackvue? Did you have to pay a customs fee? I had to send a payment of $84 to DHL, labelled on my receipt as "DHL Duties, Taxes and Fees for your delivery"
If you order anything from anybody from out of Canada you're likely to be paying duties, taxes & fees. Taxes for sure (GST/HST and possibly PST), duties where applicable (likely not in this case, most electronics is duty-exempt) plus whatever fee the courier wants to charge to "process" your package at the border.
There are some exceptions, primarily from the US, where the courier will add the fees and taxes up front, so you don't get that surprise bill later. It's always wise to confirm that with whoever's doing the shipping. And for small-ticket items (typically under $100'ish, but the exact limit is vague), the package will just glide through without the extra taxes/fees.
Always find an authorized Canadian vendor first and, when doing the price comparisons, take the potential fees into account (that and the potentially extra-long wait while it traverses the oceans by boat). In some cases it's still worth it (I buy stuff direct from Asia all the time), but not always.

Brad.

Another inquiry, anyone else from Canada order direct from Blackvue? Did you have to pay a customs fee? I had to send a payment of $84 to DHL, labelled on my receipt as "DHL Duties, Taxes and Fees for your delivery"
Hey.. our government needs their cut.. you can hardly get anything across the border without paying a customs fee and the GST. Our prime minister likes to travel.. a lot and with his family.. that does not come cheap.

I am not surprised if you have to pay duties as they are most likely shipped from US. Many carriers except USPS will charge for brokerage and duties that are the receipent's responsibility. The only time you are "exempt" from paying duties is if the store your order indicates that you don't have to pay duties.

Always find an authorized Canadian vendor first and, when doing the price comparisons, take the potential fees into account (that and the potentially extra-long wait while it traverses the oceans by boat). In some cases it's still worth it (I buy stuff direct from Asia all the time), but not always.

Not only that, if you have to exchange the item, you will have to send it back to the US and you might have to pay duties again when they send the item back to Canada. Got screwed by UPS twice when I ordered a "cheap" radar detector from the US. At the end, I only save a few pennies for ordering from US.

Hey.. our government needs their cut.. you can hardly get anything across the border without paying a customs fee and the GST. Our prime minister likes to travel.. a lot and with his family.. that does not come cheap.

Our PM likes to be in the center of attention whether it relates to him or not. He just wants attention and wants to be on the front page newspaper over unrelated issues.

Thanks for the replies.

Back to my first post about the loose mount, here's a video of it:

I got a response from Blackvue telling me that it's not supposed to be tight so you can turn it, which is fine, but this is way too loose. It shakes in the mount with every bump I hit. I'm going to send them this video in my reply.
How snug of a fit is everyone else's camera? As I mentioned, my 650S was a snug fit, much more than this.

It should be a snug fit but loose enough so you can rotate the camera with little effort. The camera should not be loose enough such that it will shake. The camera in your video is way too loose in my mind. Furthermore, the printing is not centered. I would return it and make sure Blackview covers any import duties.

Thanks for the replies.

I got a response from Blackvue telling me that it's not supposed to be tight so you can turn it, which is fine, but this is way too loose. It shakes in the mount with every bump I hit. I'm going to send them this video in my reply.
How snug of a fit is everyone else's camera? As I mentioned, my 650S was a snug fit, much more than this.

Do you have any sample footage perhaps? Maybe going over railroad tracks to see if the vibration is visible in the footage.
The DR750S mounts seem to be less tight compared to the DR650GW

OK, i have been lurking hi end cams for far too long. I was about to buy the DR650 earlier this year then the 750 was announced, so i waited.

I have a couple questions that hopefully you guys can help with.

1. Video resolution. I have read multiple comments about the 650 actually having clearer videos than the 750, but this was going to be addressed with firmware??? Is that the case today? Or did the Sept firmware address this? Or is this whole concept a farce? As consumer, that is a scary comment to read that the previous model may be clearer than the new model. Can anyone clarify? I read through this thread, and Is that what some of the discussion is with bitrate?

2. Can GPS be turned off/on? And then is GPS info either All on or All Off? As someone who drives ~90 miles round-trip in their M-F commute, im not sure how i feel about my speed and GPS info being constantly recorded. I do a lot of highway driving, and while I don't consider myself a reckless driver, I would not want my own driving habits to ever be questioned if I end up needing a video (for my own use or another driver's). Its a catch 22. I like the idea of GPS info, but probably wouldnt want it in my daily recordings. If GPS is turned on, i assume that info is on the recording and there are no other options other than on/off?

3. Not sure if this is allowed here, but can anyone suggest a reputable US re-seller? I like what the amazon 'package' has, The cam, the SD card (ill prob go 64gb), the PMP and the hardwiring fuse kits. Their price seems fair as well. Im just not sure where/who to buy this from. Feel free to PM me if it is not appropriate to reply.

4. Kind of a dumb question, but is the filter worth picking up? In what scenarios would the filter be benefiting or why would you not want the filter?

Thanks Guys.

OK, i have been lurking hi end cams for far too long. I was about to buy the DR650 earlier this year then the 750 was announced, so i waited.

I have a couple questions that hopefully you guys can help with.

1. Video resolution. I have read multiple comments about the 650 actually having clearer videos than the 750, but this was going to be addressed with firmware??? Is that the case today? Or did the Sept firmware address this? Or is this whole concept a farce? As consumer, that is a scary comment to read that the previous model may be clearer than the new model. Can anyone clarify? I read through this thread, and Is that what some of the discussion is with bitrate?

2. Can GPS be turned off/on? And then is GPS info either All on or All Off? As someone who drives ~90 miles round-trip in their M-F commute, im not sure how i feel about my speed and GPS info being constantly recorded. I do a lot of highway driving, and while I don't consider myself a reckless driver, I would not want my own driving habits to ever be questioned if I end up needing a video (for my own use or another driver's). Its a catch 22. I like the idea of GPS info, but probably wouldnt want it in my daily recordings. If GPS is turned on, i assume that info is on the recording and there are no other options other than on/off?

3. Not sure if this is allowed here, but can anyone suggest a reputable US re-seller? I like what the amazon 'package' has, The cam, the SD card (ill prob go 64gb), the PMP and the hardwiring fuse kits. Their price seems fair as well. Im just not sure where/who to buy this from. Feel free to PM me if it is not appropriate to reply.

4. Kind of a dumb question, but is the filter worth picking up? In what scenarios would the filter be benefiting or why would you not want the filter?

Thanks Guys.

1. I believe some customers received units that were slightly out of focus for the DR750S-2CH, in terms of exposure there's no comparison though, the DR750S-2CH is much better at night. Good video from Vortex Radar showing the difference:

2. GPS in driving mode is always on, the speed display can be turned off so it doesn't show in the timestamp of the video. In that case you can still access the GPS data through the BlackVue viewer.

3. There are authorized sellers (ourselves included) on Amazon, just make sure you are buying from an authorized source.

4. The need for a CPL filter is going to be vehicle dependent IMO. There are cars that don't need it all and some that desperately need it. You can always add it after the fact. If your car has shiny plastics on the dashboard or speaker grilles, you might see a benefit with the CPL filter. Do note that it does make night time video darker if you leave it on.

3. There are authorized sellers (ourselves included) on Amazon, just make sure you are buying from an authorized source.

Great, thanks for the info. FYI, i had some trouble finding the product on your storefront

https://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_p_4_1?me=AQXDPQN3LTP6G&fst=as:eek:ff&rh=p_4:Blackvue&ie=UTF8&qid=1508183886

Sorting by Brand doesnt show the 750s. I had to go to BlackboxMyCar tab to see the 750s.

https://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_p_4_2?me=AQXDPQN3LTP6G&fst=as:eek:ff&rh=p_4:BlackboxMyCar&ie=UTF8&qid=1508183886

Most of the results I saw on amazon were from HD Video Depot.

Will you offer the option to select SD card in your listing as they do? I have heard good things about you guys from reddit and other sites.

Im somewhat confident I will be buying a 750 bundle (as mentioned in my previous msg) with a 64GB card.
Thanks

It might be better just go to www.blackboxmycar.com and buy it from there. Amazon is great if you are a prime member, but if you go order from BBMC directly you might score a discount.

I'm impressed with the speed of copying the video file over Wi-Fi...

f69a1c336670.png

I'm still confused why they went to an 8-bit looking timestamp :D

Just noticed that as well on my 750s that I just installed about 30 mins ago. One would think that font would be razor sharp by now given that this was an improvement over the 650s.

Just noticed that as well on my 750s that I just installed about 30 mins ago. One would think that font would be razor sharp by now given that this was an improvement over the 650s.

Retro is in right now I guess. Look at how crazy people are going for SNES classic!

Retro is in right now I guess. Look at how crazy people are going for SNES classic!

Retro might be making a comeback, indeed. This is no joke! I remember stuff like:

57_best_8-_Track_images_on_Pinterest_8_track_tapes_Audio_and_R.png

And,

retro_8_track_tapes_-_Google_Search_-_Google_Chrome_2017-10-17_1.png

And, I definitely remember this:
retro_8_track_tapes_-_Google_Search_-_Google_Chrome_2017-10-17_1.png

So, yeah - let's bring on the Retrooooooo!

LOL!

The 750s I just installed today is indeed more loose (and unnecessarily so) than my 650s. The 650s was definitely tighter and did not move around like this 750s.

Blackvue really needs to do a lot more focus on consistency in Quality Control among several other things.

Thanks for the replies.

This might help you:
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/patch-fix-for-dr750s-wiggling-inside-its-mount.31192/

Horrible rear cam results, Alexsoll. Are you using "Sport Mode" like I was? I got the exact same grainy result from Sport Mode while using Enhanced Night Vision and a Brightness setting of 4. I had to discontinue using "Sport Mode" while using Enhanced Night Vision and drop the Brightness down to 2.

Back